Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Why are they being known as bomb squad? Bombed out?

Yeah, I would like to know this too. Ive seen it crop up in many threads, and I have no idea what the meaning is.

When benteke handed In his TR, a player in this group told the sun they were being made to train away from the first team and they had named themselves the bomb squad.

If we sell Bent for around £5m, that would mean a net spend of only £3-4 m  - can't beleive we won't sign anyone else after Bent departs - squad looks terribly light on experienced players IMO

Experience is bollocks. 

Quality is needed. I hate it when people rant on about experience. Look at QPR they signed shit loads of "experienced" players and they got relegated!

We need to sign QUALITY. 

I think we need both. Problem for villa, is in recent years we have done poorly with experienced players - and paid big bucks in the process. But as great as it was to see our young guns come of age late last season - lets not forget we can mighty close to being relegated last season.

Experience is bollocks. 

Quality is needed. I hate it when people rant on about experience. Look at QPR they signed shit loads of "experienced" players and they got relegated!

We need to sign QUALITY. 

I think we need both. Problem for villa, is in recent years we have done poorly with experienced players - and paid big bucks in the process. But as great as it was to see our young guns come of age late last season - lets not forget we can mighty close to being relegated last season.

Why do we need experience exactly? Look at Benteke. Completely unexperienced and yet he had a fantastic season. Same goes for Guzan. Had very little top flight experience (save for some cup games and a small run in the side under McLeish) and again he was a revelation. The problem is not experience but experience playing together. That's why we started to get better results towards the end of the season. Lack of experience in general wasn't why we came so close to relegation.

• Like 4

Last season there wasn't a lot of quality (Benteke & probably Guzan aside). There were some players who were still good though (Westy/Matty)

I expect the players we signed last season to have improved therefore will have more quality, they will also have more experience. 

Just because a player is "experienced" it doesn't make them a good player. If we sign quality players we will be fine. Experience will come with time. 

Edited by KjParton
  • Like 1

What we lacked last season was proven quality at this level. I still think that is the case now. We have again signed some very promising young players but they have come from leagues that week in week out are not up to the level of the Premier League.

I agree that the likes Westwood, Lowton, Weimann, Bennett, Baker, Clark, Delph, Sylla will be stronger this season for the experience gained last season. However as much as I rate most of those players I still wouldn't consider them to be proven performers at this level.

I would therefore like to see us sign one or two players who have proven themselves to be quality players over a few years at this level. Players with that little bit more nous/know how and leadership qualities to help these young lads to develop into the players we all hope they will become. The areas these are most needed in is midfield and defence.

Edited by markavfc40

What we lacked last season was proven quality at this level. I still think that is the case now. We have again signed some very promising young players but they have come from leagues that week in week out are not up to the level of the Premier League.

I agree that the likes Westwood, Lowton, Weimann, Bennett, Baker, Clark, Delph, Sylla will be stronger this season for the experience gained last season. However as much as I rate most of those players I still wouldn't consider them to be proven performers at this level.

I would therefore like to see us sign one or two players who have proven themselves to be quality players over a few years at this level. Players with that little bit more nous/know how and leadership qualities to help these young lads to develop into the players we all hope they will become. The areas these are most needed in is midfield and defence.

Thing is, virtually all of our best performers last season barring Gabby were exactly that - promising young players. We should be better this season because most those young promising players now have experience playing together as a team.

Also PL players are overvalued.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

how about Abdisalam Ibrahim, 22, fits lamberts young potential philosophy... Just noticed he's been released on a free by city, plays as dmc and doesnt look to bad a player just don't think he's been given the time at city to show his worth.. can't imagine wages would be to much and think him and sylla would be a good two.. Any opinions ???

Edited by Kbdrum88

Experience is bollocks. 

We need to sign QUALITY.

Mainly based on the performances of the first 6months when the young players were developing/settling.

Experience is bollocks.

We need to sign QUALITY.

Mainly based on the performances of the first 6months when the young players were developing/settling.

To an extent, but we havent kept a clean sheet for most of the season mainly down to lapses and inexperience.

Dont get me wrong im all for our youth policy but we still need a good experienced CB who can control the defence and help cut the mistakes out

Lambert has said that the experience many folk crave, will be gained together at VIlla.

So by deduction, don't see him pursuing that route.

I would guess he thinks he already had experience in the "bomb squad" and can't readily shift them.