Midweek Football 2,3,4 April

maqroll

On a side note, PSG were established in 1970, incredibly late for a big European club in a massive European city. Did Paris have a club at all prior to PSG? And if so, what the poop happened to them?

It's an odd thing to say considering that Paris is always mentioned in the same breath as London and New York in the list of truly "great" cities, but it's a bit of a crap town for sports isn't it?  

Eating, smoking and sex are the big sports in France.

Tony Gale "football expert" called it a simple flick  :crylaugh:  :crylaugh:  :crylaugh:

Premier League winner Tony Gale, and don't you forget it!  :ph34r:

On a side note, PSG were established in 1970, incredibly late for a big European club in a massive European city. Did Paris have a club at all prior to PSG? And if so, what the poop happened to them?

It's an odd thing to say considering that Paris is always mentioned in the same breath as London and New York in the list of truly "great" cities, but it's a bit of a crap town for sports isn't it?  

the only major city i can think of thats worse is berlin but im assuming thats because of the split? read that 24/86 original german teams were from the capital now i think there are 2 in the 2nd tier, union and hertha?

googling it suggests that PSGs crowds are young, middle class and white in disproportionate percentages to the city's demographic (that sounds familiar) also suggests that a couple of 3rd tier teams have tried and failed to launch themselves by using stade de france as a home but they only attract 4-5k a game so it doesnt work

Its capitals in generals though, until maybe 20 years ago even London had 1 team and Arsenal were nowhere near the major force they are now even in Italy Rome has 5 league titles between 2 big enough clubs.

Madrid is probably the main exception in football powers in Europe

Its capitals in generals though, until maybe 20 years ago even London had 1 team and Arsenal were nowhere near the major force they are now 

I'm not Spurs' biggest fan, but to claim they didn't exist in 1993 is pushing things a bit. 

Its capitals in generals though, until maybe 20 years ago even London had 1 team and Arsenal were nowhere near the major force they are now 

I'm not Spurs' biggest fan, but to claim they didn't exist in 1993 is pushing things a bit. 

haha true, should have said 1 good team

Daniel Alves. He can't cross a bloody ball but he can ping a through ball with the outside of his foot.

dont care how good the pass was, their is no excuse for that diabolical hair bleach

No way.

I can understand wanting to punch Busquets, because he's a clearing in the woods (although i love him becaus ehe's world class)

But I'm talking about purely the face.

Alves has one of the most punchable faces in football.

He might be an absolutely top bloke, but I really REALLY want to punch him.

Hehe, I feel that way about Xavi. But all the interviews I've read with him, he seems like a pretty nice fella.

Its capitals in generals though, until maybe 20 years ago even London had 1 team and Arsenal were nowhere near the major force they are now even in Italy Rome has 5 league titles between 2 big enough clubs.

Madrid is probably the main exception in football powers in Europe

It depends on your definition though. London might not be the most successful city in the country football wise but it is most definitely a football town.  More than a quarter of the Premier League is based in London (6 of 20) and 14 of the 92 clubs are London based, 15 if you count Watford which is inside the M25 and has a London Underground station.  You are being harsh on London by implying they had **** all before George Graham's Arsenal side too.   Spurs were very fashionable in the 80s, Chelsea & QPR were flying high in the early 70s, Spurs won the double in the 60s. There has always been some kind of success in London. 

I'd throw Lisbon in as another capital city that is a powerhouse though.  Sporting and Benfica have dominated Portuguese football.   Ajax are the most successful club from The Netherlands, so Amsterdam is represented.  

You could get into a history debate too and throw Istanbul into the mix, it was the capital city when Galatasaray, Fenerbahce and Besiktas were founded and had been the capital of whatever country it was part of for well over 1500 years but lost it's status as capital city of Turkey in the 1920s because the British occupied it after WW1 and the Turks realised that perhaps having your government in a place which is so easy to attack by sea might not be the best idea once the battleship had been invented.  It's still the cultural heartbeat of the country though and always will be. 

Ronaldo puts Madrid 1-0 up.   I think that is 45 for the season, which is incredible even if he is being overshadowed by that bloke who plays for Barcelona. 

Ronaldo puts Madrid 1-0 up.   I think that is 45 for the season, which is incredible even if he is being overshadowed by that bloke who plays for Barcelona. 

Thats 102 goals between the 2 of them this season... so far!

Ronaldo has 191 goals in 189 games since he signed for Madrid. 

Messi has scored 220 goals in his last 200 games for Barcelona. 

Even five years ago if you had told me that two players would average more than a goal a game over multiple seasons I'd have laughed at you.   Especially if you had said that neither player is an out and out striker. 

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 1

Â