Midweek Football 2,3,4 April

maqroll

I always feel like Messi and Ronaldo are trying to outdo eachother, a bit like Figo and Zidane in 2001 but on a bigger scale. As for the capital city debate, France, Germany, Italy and Scotland do not have a top club in the capital, but I would say all the other countries do.

Edited by Voinjama

Messi was better than Sneijder in 2010.  And Ronaldo was.  

Torres was spectacular in 2008, averaged 2 in 3 for Liverpool. Scored the winning goal at Euro 2008. 

Oh, and from tonight:

ibe919DWarjDaV.gif

1-0 Ronaldo

i7x1O6NThz0BK.gif

2-0 Benzema. 

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 2

Has a player ever lost their way as quick as Wesley Sneijder. Since 2010 he looks an absolute shadow. 

Been asking this on another part of the internet and was met with some interesting responses.  Adriano and Shevchenko were good calls. 

Sneijder always was kind of that player though, hot and cold etc. He did "flop" at Real Madrid and gave up pretty quickly and went to Italy to the most paying club. When he had the chance to join Manchester United, it was kind of accepted that he asked for too much money. So IMO he had a huge talent but was always going to screw it up somewhere.

Fernando Torres at his best was kind of wanted by every club in the world (who could afford him) and had the world at his feet, going upwards at the right age and so forth. Feel bad for the guy really, he didn't do anything wrong when he left measly Liverpool for Chelsea, a team that was always going to challenge for trophies. He has won the Champions League since joining them after all. But his general play now is just weak, everyone is waiting for scoring ten goals in ten games but it looks like it's never gonna happen.

Other notables are Kaka and Ronaldinho. Kaka mostly due to injuries and becoming older, Ronaldinho was the best in the world when he started to party a lot more and train a lot less. At least both of them were top, top world-class at their best.

Sneijder didnt really flop at Real Madrid. his 1st 6 months he was unplayable at times and then he got injured and when fully  recovered Florentino Perez shipped him and Robben out of the club and signed Kaka and ROnaldo instead

Without googling anyone remember Kubilay Turkylmaz, was going to be a great prospect but then disappeared. Anyone remember him?

he was a Swiss-Turk. wouldnt say great prospect at all. decent football but never anything special

The only thing I know about him is that he scored against England at Euro 96.  I remember the TV pundits talking him up before the game. 

I always feel like Messi and Ronaldo are trying to outdo eachother, a bit like Figo and Zidane in 2001 but on a bigger scale. As for the capital city debate, France, Germany, Italy and Scotland do not have a top club in the capital, but I would say all the other countries do.

Defenders of Scottish fitba will point out that last seasons Scottish cup final was an Edinburgh derby! 
Edited by The_Rev

Some domestic news:

Paul-Robinson-of-Blackbur-008.jpg
Paul Robinson will miss Blackburn Rovers' Championship relegation battle and several more months after his blood clot. Photograph: Martin Rickett/PA

The Blackburn Rovers goalkeeper Paul Robinson will be out for six months due to a blood clot in a lung, the club have said.

The former England international, 33, suffered serious respiratory complications after a back operation last week. He was kept in hospital over Easter after developing a pulmonary embolism, but has now returned home to recover.

It means Rovers have been dealt a double blow as his fellow goalkeeper Jake Kean, 22, sustained torn cartilage in his left knee in Monday's 3-0 defeat at Cardiff City. The player needs an operation and will miss the rest of the season.

The Polish keeper Grzegorz Sandomierski, 23, came on to replace Kean for his debut and is now set to be thrust into the Championship relegation battle

Blackburn are only out of the Championship relegation zone on goal difference.   They are now using their third choice goalkeeper, an inexperienced 23 year old loan signing.  Could they fall straight through the division?

Â