Individual Errors

villaglint

Too much time on my hands so I have done the following.

By no means scientific, just my opinion and more than happy for people to question some of these.

Clearly to some extent these are all team errors but I do think individual errors have been the bane of our season in general.

I've just watched all the goals back and this is my take on it.

Individual Errors PL Only (i.e missed tackles, poor positioning, losing man) that have contributed to a goal this season.

Clark - 10

Lowton - 7

Bennett - 5

Herd - 5

Stevens - 4

Vlaar - 3

Baker - 3

Westwood - 2

Bannan - 2

Delph - 1

Weimann - 1

Ireland - 1

Holman - 1

Lichaj - 1

RD v AV - Baker

AV v MC - Clark

ARS v AV - Baker/Team, Weimann/Team

AV v WH - Westwood

EV v AV - Clark, Lowton/Team, Vlaar

AV v NU - Baker, Good goal by Cabaye

WB v AV - Team, Bennett

AV v South - Delph/Stevens

SW v AV - Herd/Team, Team

AV v WG - Benteke, Clark/Bennett/Ireland, Lowton

AV v TH - Lowton, Clark/Bennett

Ch v AV - Clark, Herd, Team, Team, Bennett, Herd, Herd, Clark

LV v AV - Team

AV v SC - Clean sheet !!!!!

QPR v AV - Herd

AV v RD - Clean sheet !!!!!

AV v ARS - Clean sheet !!!!!

MC v AV - Lowton/Team, Referee, Bannan, Stevens, Team/Stevens

AV v MU - Clark, Lowton, Stevens

Sund v AV - Clean sheet !!!!!

AV v NC - Team

Ful v AV - Lichaj

TH - AV - Bannan, Bennett

AV v WBA - Vlaar

South - AV - Lowton, Westwood, Lowton, Clark

AV v SW - Clean sheet !!!!!

NU v AV - Holman

AV v EV - Great Pienaar goal, Clark, Clark/Vlaar/Team

WH v AV - Team

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 1

Hi I've just registered. I applaud the effort. 

If I am honest with you I dislike the individual errors argument. Every goal is preventable if managers are a) critical enough and B) roll the tape back far enough. I always feel it is a catch-all excuse. 

Great effort though and I wouldn't dispute the results based on what I've seen this season. 

I think it shows a few things.

- Clark is as a lot of people have felt making too many mistakes and costing us too many points. It really highlights the fact that he needed a rest at some point and also our ridiculous lack of cover in this position.

- Also that Lowton who most would deem a success this year has also been making a lot of costly mistakes.

- To some extent you would expect these players to be top of the list as they've played the most games. Imagine if Herd and Stevens had played the same amount of games.

- Ultimately though it just highlights what we've all seen first hand. We have a lot of talented young defenders who are making naive mistakes which are costing us lots of points. As I said I readily accept the argument that these could all be team goals, but if you watch them back the vast majority could have been prevented very easily.

I think it's interesting on Lowton. I have thought he was dodgy defensively since the first time I saw him play. But in view of the general praise for him I thought I must have got that wrong. Just shows - he's more unreliable than Bennett!

Edited by briny_ear

I think it's interesting on Lowton. I have thought he was dodgy defensively since the first time I saw him play. But in view of the general praise for him I thought I must have got that wrong. Just shows - he's more unreliable than Bennett!

I think you have to back your own judgement, despite what others think. I happen to concur with you.

If we go down, the defensive side of our game will be largely responsible. To be honest the team has that much wrong, I don't know where to start.

It seems to me that the club have accepted, what i consider to be the inevitable, a while a go.

The management seem to think that the " we go again" philosophy will be the fixer of all ills.

I have it on good authority that the work is going in at BMH to turn things around..... but there is no change in results and the performances are a bit frantic and desperate ( no/little composure)

Arsenal's 2nd goal was Lowton's mistake in my opinion. He rushed out of defence following the winger who dropped deep, leaving an acre or space for Monreal to run into. Weimann was marking Monreal and couldn't catch up, but very naive to man mark like that when you're defending deep against Arsenal. Will always be a matter of opinion what causes the goals, I guess. And it's a bit like counting assists, as it will only give you an idea rather than reveal the whole picture. If you count all individual mistakes, goal or not, it will show more. Not expecting anyone to do that though :)

Arsenal's 2nd goal was Lowton's mistake in my opinion. He rushed out of defence following the winger who dropped deep, leaving an acre or space for Monreal to run into. Weimann was marking Monreal and couldn't catch up, but very naive to man mark like that when you're defending deep against Arsenal. Will always be a matter of opinion what causes the goals, I guess. And it's a bit like counting assists, as it will only give you an idea rather than reveal the whole picture. If you count all individual mistakes, goal or not, it will show more. Not expecting anyone to do that though :)

A little bit of this, but also that this doesn't show the lack of protection from the midfield. Our midfield has been very poor defensively and left the defence exposed far too many times. A young and exposed defence will be prone to make mistakes. Sure, Clark vs citeh is a classic example of one player's sole error. He's alone responsible for that goal.

Agaisnt arsenal I think Lowton was very unprotected by Weimann. I think Weimann is very good and be a very good striker in the future, but he is a striker. He chased a lot, but almost never did the right things defensively. Mostly because he is a striker and not a defensive player.

But good effort, though, even if I don't think I agree on much of that

despite Baker conceding, he recoverd well.

I have a concern about Lowton, allows too many crosses through....he must start closing some of these down if we are to keep clean sheets.

Edited by TRO

I'm sure Benteke was to blame for a few conceded from corners. I remember discussing his uselessness at corners with my dad during a game.

Yeah I remembered that too and thought it odd when I looked back over the goals.

I think his errors came primarily in the cup games around the time when he made the same mistake against Wigan in the league

These stats are flawed in so many ways. Firstly you need to take into account how many games the individual has played, who else is in that team and the level of opposition played. And its guaranteed that the centre backs are going to have the highest errors when its comes to conceeding. Why don't you start another thread saying how many shots oft target people have?

Its getting so tiresome of reading all this negativity crap. We need to get behind the team!!!

These stats are flawed in so many ways. Firstly you need to take into account how many games the individual has played, who else is in that team and the level of opposition played. And its guaranteed that the centre backs are going to have the highest errors when its comes to conceeding. Why don't you start another thread saying how many shots oft target people have?

Its getting so tiresome of reading all this negativity crap. We need to get behind the team!!!

This wasn't intended to be negative - just wanted to see if the stats reflected what I and a lot of people have felt. i.e. that the team has made a lot of costly individual errors this year.

Also I do get behind our team! I was literally shaking with anxiety by the end of the game on Saturday. I don't see why that precludes coming on to a website to discuss our season?

Entirely agree with the points you make that these stats are flawed and that was also acknowledged in the original post

No he's not. He has just played a lot more times than Bennett.

Well, the number of errors are way too high. And often there is several errors that lead to a goal.

Example, the match against Tottenham. First Benteke can square the ball back to a Villa player who is in a good position at the 16 meter, but he misses with 2-3 metres. Tottenham hit the ball up, and Clark has three Villa players he can play the ball to. But he mishits and the Tottenham players win the ball. Then Bennett do not play the ball for a throw in, but instead tackles the ball inwards, so another Tottenham player go forward with the ball. Then they score. I count three major mistakes in this one goal.

Â