The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

On 09/04/2018 at 03:23, chrisp65 said:

me - hi, would you know what model that is ? 

them - I can't remember, it was an unwanted gift

me - does it give a model on the back, is it active?

them - don't know, mate, plays well 

Nobody who plays an instrument well enough to make a judgement that it "plays well" is going to be incapable of giving you the make and model!

• Like 2

Put together a bass cover of Emergency on Planet Earth by Jamiroquai. Stuart Zender is a great bass player, and the basslines in the early Jamiroquai stuff especially are brilliant. Will probably be putting some more bass & guitar covers up in the next few weeks. Let me know what you think :)

Edited by JoshVilla
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, JoshVilla said:

Put together a bass cover of Emergency on Planet Earth by Jamiroquai. Stuart Zender is a great bass player, and the basslines in the early Jamiroquai stuff especially are brilliant. Will probably be putting some more bass & guitar covers up in the next few weeks. Let me know what you think :)

That's a delicious abundance of octave slaps n pops! Mmmmm. Love me some funk bass. Well performed mate, keep em coming. How about some Parliament or, more modern, Bruno Mars?

• Like 1

Didn't see this wonderful thread until now, I really should spend more time in the "Off topic" section of this forum.

As it happens I make a lot of odd experimental electronic music when I'm not hacking away at my guitar. Put a lot of love into these albums so if you enjoy anything from ambient, beats, techno or plunderphonics in general give these beasts a go and tell me what you think :). Would be much appreciated!

https://gasparpoet.bandcamp.com

a0518542387_2.jpg.f6ae334d819dc33fa27210aadbd3eee7.jpg

1. ISO1473 - exclusively various musings in ambient, both hifi and lofi. Squeezed a Withnail & I sample into the last track.

a3061494741_2.jpg.241ca9d05b6f0f599b835800bdd281b3.jpg

2. Apex Predator - much more upbeat and groove oriented after the first track. Much experimentation with percussive found sounds.

a4181775809_2.jpg.875c99501cc09bb8ca0537b9ac803d9e.jpg

3. Cudo - dreamy and lucid throughout with tons of variation.

a3201035529_2.jpg.c5538dcd4dfe62d49a301767c4d84b2f.jpg

4. Nahi Bat - same as Cudo. Get lost in there.

a1968661682_2.jpg.185e489d6f023b727bf0b3217d1dbe2c.jpg

5. Fair Vanity - First one I made. Samples everything from Zara Larsson, Bruno Mars, old jazz, Italian film music from the 50s to weird YouTube finds. Messy perhaps, but deliciously so if I may say so.

• Like 1

That's ace JoshVilla but as a (former) mere drummer have a listen to the following bassists.:- Larry Graham,(Graham Central Station) Victor Wooten (various+ session), Stanley Clarke (Return to Forever) and  Chuck Rainey (Steely Dan ' natch ). You may, of course, know all these geezers. Bootsy Collins is another; I saw him at The Odeon in New Street - was even louder than Lemmy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, veloman said:

That's ace JoshVilla but as a (former) mere drummer have a listen to the following bassists.:- Larry Graham,(Graham Central Station) Victor Wooten (various+ session), Stanley Clarke (Return to Forever) and  Chuck Rainey (Steely Dan ' natch ). You may, of course, know all these geezers. Bootsy Collins is another; I saw him at The Odeon in New Street - was even louder than Lemmy.

Good choices all, Velo.  :thumb:

• Like 1

Thanks all!

I’m a big fan of those players that you mentioned (especially Larry Graham, Victor Wooten and Bootsy!), and I love Chuck’s playing on Aja. I was looking at maybe doing a Graham Central Station tune next, or potentially some Level 42, but I’m gonna throw some guitar covers on there as well too. Any requests are welcome! :thumb::)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoshVilla said:

Any requests are welcome! :thumb::)

OK then 'Peg' from AJA. Seen SD 3 times but not with Chuck Rainey - another ace player called Freddie Washington. If you can see the 'AJA' DVD there is classic stuff from Rainey on that -  a bit about NOT slapping on the record !!

NB - I don't think I could play ANYTHING from AJA on drums !!!!:wacko:

Edited by veloman
  • Like 2

On 23/04/2018 at 15:17, JoshVilla said:

That's awesome Josh! 

Have you ever checked out Jaco Pastorius?

Wiki

16 hours ago, veloman said:

OK then 'Peg' from AJA. Seen SD 3 times but not with Chuck Rainey - another ace player called Freddie Washington. If you can see the 'AJA' DVD there is classic stuff from Rainey on that -  a bit about NOT slapping on the record !!

NB - I don't think I could play ANYTHING from AJA on drums !!!!:wacko:

Ah yeah, when he had to turn his back so Becker and Fagen wouldn’t know that he was slapping the chorus? It’s a great story, one of my favourite albums ever too. I actually had to do a cover of Peg at Uni so I’ll see if I can get something recorded :)

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

That's awesome Josh! 

Have you ever checked out Jaco Pastorius?

Wiki

Thank you! I love Jaco, he was just on another level in terms of his sheer ability & musicality. Absolute genius!

• Like 2

Don't know if this would be of interest but what stories / rumours do you know about 'who played on what' - as opposed to who was supposed to have played. Perhaps one of the most (in)famous related to '60s band 'Love Affair' who had a hit with 'Everlasting Love'  - session musos played all of it. A bit more apocryphal - Jimmy Page played the fast solo on the Kinks 'You really Got Me' and (for me) most interesting American session drummer Bernard 'Pretty' Purdie played or double tracked on some Beatles records !!    

54 minutes ago, veloman said:

Don't know if this would be of interest but what stories / rumours do you know about 'who played on what' - as opposed to who was supposed to have played. Perhaps one of the most (in)famous related to '60s band 'Love Affair' who had a hit with 'Everlasting Love'  - session musos played all of it. A bit more apocryphal - Jimmy Page played the fast solo on the Kinks 'You really Got Me' and (for me) most interesting American session drummer Bernard 'Pretty' Purdie played or double tracked on some Beatles records !!    

Sessionmen playing on 60s pop was pretty standard practice on both sides of the Atlantic, even when the bands themselves were perfectly competent. Jimmy Page and Big Jim Sullivan had the London guitar jobs stitched up between them, and played on a huge proportion of UK hits - although Ray Davies insists that his brother played the YRGM solo, with Page playing rhythm. In the States, The Monkees records were all sessionmen until (I think) their third album, when they insisted on playing themselves. The Byrds' debut single "Mister Tambourine Man" only had McGuinn's 12 string, the rest being played by Wrecking Crew regulars (Hal Blaine, Joe Osborne, Leon Russell, etc.)  - who also played on many of the early Beach Boys recordings. And, famously, session drummer Jimmy White was preferrred to Ringo on the first version of "Love Me Do", but the band put their foot down after that. The Pretty Purdie story is bullshit. 

Edited by mjmooney

14 minutes ago, Xann said:

This film comes out soon. This is about their own work, but these guys played on lots and lots tracks for other people.

The legend that is Herbie Flowers on bass.

Yep. Herbie Flowers (bass), Clem Cattini (drums) and Big Jim Sullivan/Jimmy Page  (guitar) = British 60s studio pop music. 

• Like 1

Herbie Flowers - top session man as you all have said; think he played on Space Oddity. Didn't he write some dreadful novelty song -"Grandad" or something. That's a fascinating video Xann; the names I immediately recognized were:- Brian Bennett (ace drummer with The Shadows amongst others) Keith Mansfield (his orchestra played on that 'Love Affair' number) and Herbie Flowers (played in 'Sky' with John Williams I think) . Classic story I heard on Radio 4   about The Who; the recording  studio didn't think their guitarist would be able to nail the numbers so had Page on standby - but of course Pete Townsend was pretty damn good himself. 

Edited by veloman
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, veloman said:

Herbie Flowers - top session man as you all have said; think he played on Space Oddity. Didn't he write some dreadful novelty song -"Grandad" or something. That's a fascinating video Xann; the names I immediately recognized were:- Brian Bennett (ace drummer with The Shadows amongst others) Keith Mansfield (his orchestra played on that 'Love Affair' number) and Herbie Flowers (played in 'Sky' with John Williams I think) . Classic story I heard on Radio 4   about The Who; the recording  studio didn't think their guitarist would be able to nail the numbers so had Page on standby - but of course Pete Townsend was petty damn good himself. 

Yep, that was "I Can't Explain", The Who's first single. When they did their third ("My Generation"), the record company rejected the recording as faulty, due to the feedback - until Townshend explained that it was deliberate. 

8 hours ago, Xann said:

This film comes out soon. This is about their own work, but these guys played on lots and lots tracks for other people.

Fantastic - I can't wait to see that. All I ever wanted to be was a good musician who made some money and not be known!

When I started out that era was sadly coming to an end. Nowadays the majority of music is created in computers rather than arranged for instrumentalists to play. To be a top session musician in NYC or London used to be the pinnacle but the recording industry in NYC has basically gone completely. Now people are scrapping around for Broadway gigs which used to be scoffed at and younger kids are trying to become Youtube/Instagram stars.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Xann said:

And don't forget, Herbie Flowers played the famous bass part on Lou Reed's "Walk on the Wild Side". 

Â