The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

17 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I assume that everything was DI'd, and nothing recorded acoustically. With vocals (if required at all) added elsewhere. 

I was thinking more about mixing - acoustic treatment of a mixing or mastering room is more important than the recording space... you want that room optimised for hearing all the frequencies as perfectly as possible.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrDuck said:

I was thinking more about mixing - acoustic treatment of a mixing or mastering room is more important than the recording space... you want that room optimised for hearing all the frequencies as perfectly as possible.

Yep. That's why I qualified it with my comment about playback. You can get an amazing mix in headphones that ends up sounding shit through the speakers. Then again, you could get a great mix in an acoustically perfect space that sounds shit in a 'normal' room (or even a car), where the final product is most likely to be heard. 

Mixing is tricky. 

Martin will most likely be recording his contribution there as a stem (Wiki).

Dave Gahan's contribution is more likely to be a demo or guide.

Final vocals and miked contributions may be recorded at a studio better set up for it? Perhaps at the same place where they'll do their final mix, perhaps not?

23 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Which of course is all well and good, but the downside (as with my more modest setup) is playback over the speakers, in what is just a non-acoustically optimised room in a house. Fine for demos though, as Xann suggests. 

Yours is the more desireable set up, what with the mini VP on the windowledge - massively trumping the 'peche boys blingy 'traption.

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

Yours is the more desireable set up, what with the mini VP on the windowledge - massively trumping the 'peche boys blingy 'traption.

Very well spotted. The small items next to it are fragments from the old Trinity Road mosaic. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Mixing is tricky. 

God yeah!

When I mix an album, I get the mix sounding good in the studio, burn it to CD, drive around with it playing in my car for a couple of listens (cos that's where I listen to most music, so my best point of reference), makes notes, then back to the studio for tweaking. Repeat until finished/suicidal.

• Like 1

Quincy Jones talking about Thriller said he'd bring in a mid range/crappy portable stereo tape player* into the studio. Listen to it on that because that's the way 99% of your listeners will be hearing it.

* Ghetto blaster seems a fairly non-pc term 30 or so years later

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MrDuck said:

God yeah!

When I mix an album, I get the mix sounding good in the studio, burn it to CD, drive around with it playing in my car for a couple of listens (cos that's where I listen to most music, so my best point of reference), makes notes, then back to the studio for tweaking. Repeat until finished/suicidal.

Same. Very hard to find a compromise mix, isn't it? 

The car is a very common mix checker, as are/were portable radio/cassette/CD players. Docks are probably where it's at these days? 

Commercial studios would often have a single or a pair of Auratone monitors to check what mixes might sound like on regular domestic kit.

Auratones were discontinued for a little while, but Auratone became aware that AKG were doing very well from a clone introduced to fill the gap in the market :)

Image result for auratone speaker

Another mixing trick for levels is to listen from an adjacent room, btw.

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Home recording peeps: what software/DAW do you use? 

Audacity has actually served my very occasional needs well enough to never bother with the copy of Logic I have on a floating drive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Xann said:

The car is a very common mix checker, as are/were portable radio/cassette/CD players. Docks are probably where it's at these days? 

Commercial studios would often have a single or a pair of Auratone monitors to check what mixes might sound like on regular domestic kit.

Auratones were discontinued for a little while, but Auratone became aware that AKG were doing very well from a clone introduced to fill the gap in the market :)

Image result for auratone speaker

Another mixing trick for levels is to listen from an adjacent room, btw.

Audacity has actually served my very occasional needs well enough to never bother with the copy of Logic I have on a floating drive.

Audacity is surprisingly good for freeware, but it lacks a mixer view. I struggled with Cubase for ages, finally got pissed off with it, and switched to Reaper - which is excellent, and cheap. 

6 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Logic - I'm just editing audio from live instruments not "slamming massive beats blud, fam."

Quite, same here - although on a much more amateur(ish) basis. 

Actually, I mostly record on hardware (Zoom R24), then transfer the stems to Reaper for effects, EQ and mixing. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mjmooney said:

So, I'll ask again. 

Logic Pro on an iMac.

The last few albums I've done I track/edit stuff at home, and go to a "proper" studio for mixing. Not necessarily for the better gear, rather the expertise of the mixing engineer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Xann said:

I used to have a pair of crappy hi-fi speakers so I could switch between them and the studio monitors for comparison. Nowadays I just switch to the onboard iMac speakers.

These days I think a lot of people will do a test mix to a relatively low quality MP3 to simulate your average listener experience.

1 hour ago, MrDuck said:

I used to have a pair of crappy hi-fi speakers so I could switch between them and the studio monitors for comparison. Nowadays I just switch to the onboard iMac speakers.

These days I think a lot of people will do a test mix to a relatively low quality MP3 to simulate your average listener experience.

Sorry if I'm late to the party but what's your area or genre of music @MrDuck ?

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

Sorry if I'm late to the party but what's your area or genre of music @MrDuck ?

Varies wildly over the years! This was the last album I released:

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2018 at 12:22, mjmooney said:

So, I'll ask again. 

When my house move finally goes through, I'll be setting up my studio. The wife has allowed me to have the converted loft as my studio. I'm going as far as having a 'no girls allowed' sign, a Nerf gun for protection, and a drone to fly downstairs to clunk among the crockery when I want a coffee delivered. I'm guessing this isn't the sort of information you were after?

I'm buying myself a MacBook Pro or an iMac. In terms of software, I'm swaying towards using Logix Pro X (or whatever the latest version is called). Currently, my equipment consists of a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, a Yamaha midi keyboard, a Marshall guitar amp, some Sennheiser studio headphones and an SE condenser for acoustic guitar and vocals. I have a few other bits and bobs like a bass mic and other junk that I've accumulated over the years, but whether I use or need them is another matter.

It's been absolutely ages since I recorded anything, so I'm interested to see how things have evolved. I used to use Cubase when self-recording and also in my Music course in college, but that was at least 10 years ago.

Â