The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

3 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

When my house move finally goes through, I'll be setting up my studio. The wife has allowed me to have the converted loft as my studio. I'm going as far as having a 'no girls allowed' sign, a Nerf gun for protection, and a drone to fly downstairs to clunk among the crockery when I want a coffee delivered. I'm guessing this isn't the sort of information you were after?

I'm buying myself a MacBook Pro or an iMac. In terms of software, I'm swaying towards using Logix Pro X (or whatever the latest version is called). Currently, my equipment consists of a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, a Yamaha midi keyboard, a Marshall guitar amp, some Sennheiser studio headphones and an SE condenser for acoustic guitar and vocals. I have a few other bits and bobs like a bass mic and other junk that I've accumulated over the years, but whether I use or need them is another matter.

It's been absolutely ages since I recorded anything, so I'm interested to see how things have evolved. I used to use Cubase when self-recording and also in my Music course in college, but that was at least 10 years ago.

That sounds great, you'll have loads of fun. Doesn't a Mac come with GarageBand? I'm on a Windows laptop, although I tend to do all my initial recording via a Zoom R24, and then transfer the stems to a DAW for FX, EQ and mixing. I used Cubase for a while, but couldn't get on very well with it. I've since switched to Reaper, and I absolutely love it. Free to try (full version) and only £35 for a licence. 

38 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

That sounds great, you'll have loads of fun. Doesn't a Mac come with GarageBand? I'm on a Windows laptop, although I tend to do all my initial recording via a Zoom R24, and then transfer the stems to a DAW for FX, EQ and mixing. I used Cubase for a while, but couldn't get on very well with it. I've since switched to Reaper, and I absolutely love it. Free to try (full version) and only £35 for a licence. 

Yeah Garageband comes free. I've used that a few times (again, a long time ago), but I just imagined Logic would have more options and plug-ins, and probably give me a more 'professional' service. I've got a 'stem' wikipedia page opened to have a read into that (the joys of having a job with no work!)

Does anyone here have experience of copyrighting your own music? I've probably got over 40 of my own songs that I want to record (eventually), but I don't have a clue how to copyright them.

10 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Yeah Garageband comes free. I've used that a few times (again, a long time ago), but I just imagined Logic would have more options and plug-ins, and probably give me a more 'professional' service. I've got a 'stem' wikipedia page opened to have a read into that (the joys of having a job with no work!)

Does anyone here have experience of copyrighting your own music? I've probably got over 40 of my own songs that I want to record (eventually), but I don't have a clue how to copyright them.

No. But I did find this.

How to copyright a song

Did you know that, as long as it is recorded or written down, copyright exists from the very moment you create a unique song, lyrical work or piece of music? As owner of copyright to your song you have the legal right to decide how and when it should be played.

You do not need to register a musical work in order to secure UK copyright protection, providing it satisfies the eligibility criteria outlined below.

Eligible music for copyright protection

The Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 deems a music work eligible for copyright protection if:

It is written in music notation or recorded on tape or fixed in another form.

It is original and hasn’t been copied from any other pre-existing musical work.

The writer is either a British Citizen or is domiciled or resident within the UK, or the work is first published in the UK or a country that’s signed up to the Berne Convention.

In order to avoid the threat of a copyright dispute or being infringed upon it’s highly recommended that you consider the following song copyright measures to preserve evidence of the fact that your work was in existence from a specified date.

UK copyright law for songs

In the UK, copyright for songs is covered by two Copyright Acts in 1911 and 1956 – as well as the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988.

Additionally, international decisions such as the aforementioned Berne Convention and the Universal Copyright Convention mean that your song is largely protected in almost every other country in the world.

How to protect your song from copyright infringement

Write down a copy of your musical work on paper or store it as an audio recording. Place it within an envelope that’s signed with your name across the seal of the envelope. Post it to yourself by registered post – the time stamp from the post will be vital in the event of copyright dispute. It’s equally important that you DO NOT open the envelope on receipt but store it in a safe place until such time that you need it as part of any legal proceedings.

Or you can also deliver a copy of the musical work on paper or as an audio recording with your bank or solicitor, who will provide you with a dated receipt. (Bear in mind however that they will charge an annual holding fee). This should be stored away in a safe place with your own personal copy of the song.

As an additional form of protection for works protected by copyright, moral rights are given to the composer or author of the work. These cannot be transferred to anyone else, but the composer/author has the power to waive these rights altogether.

How long does song copyright last?

In the UK, a song is copyrighted for up to 70 years from the end of the calendar year in which the composer or author of the music dies. If the music was created outside the European Economic Area, the copyright exists for the period specified by the copyright rules in its country of origin, provided that this does not exceed 70 years.

• Thanks 1

A couple of my raggedy-ass home recordings. 

This first one is a jangly re-jig of a song I used to do with my band in the 80s (I know @tonyh29has a copy of the original): 

It's Raining in Moscow

And a rather uncontrolled Neil Young-style electric bash: 

Learn to Fall

Edited by mjmooney

16 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Logic is a squillion times better than Garageband, but unless you have the know-how, stick with Garageband for a while. Quality mics and digital converters are far more important with regard getting a good sound.

Copyrighting is really no big deal.I used to do the old mail-it-to-yourself thing for copyright as per the above, but haven't bothered with it for the last 20 years. Pretty much everything I've written in that period has been released, and once it's released the very fact that the release has happened _is_ the copyright. Well, you own the copyright as soon as it is written, but once released it becomes rather easier to prove! I also take photos of my lyrics once they are completed.
All of my songs are also registered with APRA (Oz equivalent of the PRS).
The chance of something being ripped off are ridiculously small, but if it worries you then do the post-to-self thing... set up a mic, do a rough live recording of all the material (acoustic guitar/vocal is fine, scrappy as you like) and then stick the recording on a USB or CD along and post it to yourself, registered. Keep an note of the songs you've included, as you can't open the package once it arrives!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought myself an Orange Rocker 15 terror guitar head and a Zilla 1 X 12 cabinet loaded with a Celestion H Creamback.

My first tube amp. Holy cow, it's good. I can't believing I didn't spend the money before now. So much fun.

One for the Brexiteers too, the Zilla cabinet was handmade in the UK, to my own specification, including the look of the tolex and grillcloth for £350. Okay, more expensive than most mass produced 1 X 12 cabinets but not by much. The Orange equivalent is £269. The Zilla is a true boutique product for marginally more than you'd pay for a mass produced far east clone. If you need a cabinet, get in before they become huge and out their prices up, because they will. 

The Rocker Terror is designed in the UK, but mass produced in the far east. A handwired custom, made in the UK Orange amp is thousands. I can't afford that. 

Stoked that I've finally got some gear I scan legit keep for the rest of my life.

The only problem now is that I want to spend a fortune on pedals. 

• Like 3

Trying to buy a cheapo bass guitar at the moment. Just something second hand, quite flexible on what exactly it is, no set ideas on a brand or whether its long or short or a precision or a jazz. Just something to add to the shared pool of instruments leaning against the wall.

But trying to get any useful info out of people on sites like Gumtree is mostly painful. It just makes me suspect half this stuff is nicked when people can't answer a basic question. They'll post a single picture and something vague like 'bass guitar, good condition'. Ping them a text asking if it's active or passive and do they know what model it is, you either get no response or something weirdly vague.

Typical exchange:

me - hi, would you know what model that is ? 

them - I can't remember, it was an unwanted gift

me - does it give a model on the back, is it active?

them - don't know, mate, plays well 

So right now, I didn't want the expense of buying a new bottom of the range Ibanez or similar, but I think that's probably where we'll end up eventually, using a birthday as the excuse to spend. Didn't want to be spending decent money when it's potentially only going to be picked up rarely.

47 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Trying to buy a cheapo bass guitar at the moment. Just something second hand, quite flexible on what exactly it is, no set ideas on a brand or whether its long or short or a precision or a jazz. Just something to add to the shared pool of instruments leaning against the wall.

But trying to get any useful info out of people on sites like Gumtree is mostly painful. It just makes me suspect half this stuff is nicked when people can't answer a basic question. They'll post a single picture and something vague like 'bass guitar, good condition'. Ping them a text asking if it's active or passive and do they know what model it is, you either get no response or something weirdly vague.

Typical exchange:

me - hi, would you know what model that is ? 

them - I can't remember, it was an unwanted gift

me - does it give a model on the back, is it active?

them - don't know, mate, plays well 

So right now, I didn't want the expense of buying a new bottom of the range Ibanez or similar, but I think that's probably where we'll end up eventually, using a birthday as the excuse to spend. Didn't want to be spending decent money when it's potentially only going to be picked up rarely.

I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago, so I bought one of these. It was fine (only thing I didn't like was that it was a bit neck-heavy). When my mate Steve died and left me his short scale Fender Mustang, it became surplus to requirements, so I sold it on eBay for the same price I'd paid for it. 

IMG_20180408_191028.png

• Like 2

Harley Benton (Thomman's brand) apparently make the best super low budget instruments. I've never owned or played one but it's worth checking out online opinions and reviews. 

I've found that there are alot of low quality starter electric guitars and bass guitars instruments out there that are absolute garbage, that won't stay in tune, sound pathetic and are difficult to play. These are often end up as unwanted gifts because they make playing an instrument difficult. If you gave them to a professional they'd have to change the bridge, tuners, but etc to make them playable. 

Unless you can spot an obvious second hand bargain (which is difficult because people make a living out of buying and selling gear), I'd save up for more of a know quantity, not necessarily anything expensive but a known, quality, basic instrument designed to be played. Yeh, a Squire, Yamaha Ibanez or something. 

That's my 2 pence anyway.

• Like 2

If I stop posting after tomorrow night it might be because I have to play this gig called "Rocktopia" 

I think it is the worst thing I've ever had to do and I might not be able to take it!!! Might end up stage diving of the top of the building!!* :D

*I'm joking of course, but my God the music and arrangements are just absolutely beyond awful.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, PompeyVillan said:

Harley Benton (Thomman's brand) apparently make the best super low budget instruments. I've never owned or played one but it's worth checking out online opinions and reviews. 

Unless you can spot an obvious second hand bargain (which is difficult because people make a living out of buying and selling gear), I'd save up for more of a know quantity, not necessarily anything expensive but a known, quality, basic instrument designed to be played. Yeh, a Squire, Yamaha Ibanez or something. 

That's my 2 pence anyway.

That's a really good all round shout, there.

Knowing a little about some things that get flipped on these sites (like old hi fi tat), yes I was aware I'm not going to know as much as the seller. Even when they pretend not to know. So I think that's what was stopping me shelling out 150 notes for something.

That Harley Benton stuff does look good enough to take a punt on, spent an hour on various youtube reviews yesterday, certainly can't be any more risky than a second hand from a flipper. Probably think about it for a couple of weeks and then take the plunge. Cheers.

• Like 1

Played with Dee Snider last night.

image.jpg

He sang a few covers and he was alright. But then he sang "We're not gonna make it" and to be fair, for a 60 something he really brought it. Crowd went nuts.

Rest of the gig was pretty ropey but a good laugh all the same.

• Like 1

Well I think it would give him a run for his money is the awful stakes @Xann

They mixed Rachmaninov's 3rd piano concerto with "Don't Let The Sun Go Down on Me." "Stairway to Heaven" with Beethoven Symphony no. 7 and the one that really got me - Zeppelin's "Kashmir" mixed with Nessun Bloody Dorma was the big closer before the intermission.

Sometimes you just have to laugh.

For what it's worth I've heard that Andre Rieu pays his musicians well and treats them really well. Doesn't make up for how hideous the music is but there you go.

Edited by TheAuthority

19 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Well I think it would give him a run for his money is the awful stakes @Xann

They mixed Rachmaninov's 3rd piano concerto with "Don't Let The Sun Go Down on Me." "Stairway to Heaven" with Beethoven Symphony no. 7 and the one that really got me - Zeppelin's "Kashmir" mixed with Nessun Bloody Dorma was the big closer before the intermission.

Sometimes you just have to laugh.

For what it's worth I've heard that Andre Rieu pays his musicians well and treats them really well. Doesn't make up for how hideous the music is but there you go.

Ouch.

Roof and food are good though eh? Will you get more work off the back of it?

That Rieu clip gives me nightmares.

Though I read somewhere that Big Jim Sullivan, who was a go to session guitarist when the UK was at the height of 60s/70s cool, was happiest working for the considerably less cool, but apparently lovely James Last later in his career.

8 hours ago, Xann said:

Ouch.

Roof and food are good though eh? Will you get more work off the back of it?

That Rieu clip gives me nightmares.

Though I read somewhere that Big Jim Sullivan, who was a go to session guitarist when the UK was at the height of 60s/70s cool, was happiest working for the considerably less cool, but apparently lovely James Last later in his career.

We made the best of Monday night by just having a laugh and singing along really loudly to "Don't Stop Believing." I was rehearsing Bernstein today for a concert tomorrow.  Last week I was playing the "real" Nessun Dorma (Turandot at the Met Opera) and this weekend I'm at the Broadway show Wicked (the show about what happened before the Wizard of Oz.)

It's mix of things so there's positives and negatives. e.g I'm always working with different people whereas you could be in the same orchestra/group/band with people you don't get along with. But yeah, you have the nights when it's definitely just to pay the rent. Who you're working with makes a big difference.

5 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

... Met Opera... ...Wicked...

Met Angela Gheorghiu and one of her step children. She pretended she couldn't speak English. I became uncooperative. Then she wanted something and it all came back to her :D

My knowledge of shows isn't well rounded, but in some cases I do know which cast recordings are desirable?

I'm aware that Idina Menzel's Elphaba landed her the 'Frozen' gig. She's not going hungry any time soon :)

On 4/12/2018 at 06:07, Xann said:

I'm aware that Idina Menzel's Elphaba landed her the 'Frozen' gig. She's not going hungry any time soon :)

That's true but she's still out there having to work and hustle. The couple that wrote "Let it Go" never have to leave the house again unless they want to take a luxury vacation.

The only way to make real money in music is to write it.

Life as a professional performing musician and practicing every day can sometimes feel like this:

Â