What's your job

Pongotastic

I graduated last summer and unfortunately currently I work at Subway. Going into teaching next year.

Out of interest, how much do you earn in an hour working at Subway?

Minimum wage

Which is?

£6.50 and hour there or thereabouts ?

I was at a Subway not long ago and according to the jobs poster plastered on its door, Subway pays $4.50 an hour. That's around £2.30 an hour. To be fair that was the starting wage - after three months of probation your pay goes up to $5 an hour which will really help you get your mortgage paid.

There's no minimum wage here, since this is a thread about jobs (and hence wages) I thought I'd just put it out there.

It's all relative though isn't it?

How much does it cost to live in Singapore?

(I genuinely don't know. It might be as expensive or more than living in the UK in which case that wage is really poor. BUt if it costs half as much to live there then half the minimum wage is about right I'd have thought)

It's all relative though isn't it?

How much does it cost to live in Singapore?

(I genuinely don't know. It might be as expensive or more than living in the UK in which case that wage is really poor. BUt if it costs half as much to live there then half the minimum wage is about right I'd have thought)

Eating out is cheaper. Public transport is cheaper.

Houses are much more expensive (unless you live in downtown London I suppose), car prices are just unbelievable. (Not to mention alcohol is very costly here as well!)

The fast food wage here is way too low regardless, in my opinion. From what I gather it's even worse in Hong Kong (which does have a minimum wage, paradox)

Euuughh everyone has such good job titles which sound successful. 

Fear not! I'm a professional musician! If there's any job title that doesn't sound successful...

I'd say exactly the opposite. It's a job title that sounds fantastic to most of us, but the reality is not as romantic as Joe Public imagines.

I graduated last summer and unfortunately currently I work at Subway. Going into teaching next year.

Minimum wage

Which is?

Sorry should have elaborated! £6.19 an hour for over 21s. My colleagues who are younger earn less though (I don't know what).

Edited by chappy

Fear not! I'm a professional musician! If there's any job title that doesn't sound successful...

I'd say exactly the opposite. It's a job title that sounds fantastic to most of us, but the reality is not as romantic as Joe Public imagines.

I'd agree with that.

One of my nippers is concentrating on getting into Uni to study music, Having started piano only 14 months ago for the very first time the plan is to go straight to grade 3 as a tester then hopefully jump to 5. Idea being you need to be studying for grade 8 to be considered for entry.

We've explained what Mr M has said above, but that is still the focus. We've explained it's a life of poverty, sponging off friends and family, substance abuse, casual sex and air travel but this doesn't appear to have put them off.

I dunno, maybe it's a cultural difference, but when someone here asks you what you do, and you respond with professional musician (really an artist or performer of any kind, doesn't matter the medium), you immediately and invariably find yourself placed in the "worthless people who will never make any money and will die in the gutter, probably of herpes" category, unless they're drunk and/or you're already famous. Then, though still not "respectable", you might be tolerable.

I know several respectable musicians. Some of them work harder than the average person because they hold down a day job while still pursuing their dream. Others make a fairly good living just doing local shows. There are the drug addicted variety out and about I realise. Or the ones getting wasted every night and catching something vile from some groupie, but I still think if you have talent, and you can somehow make it work for you, then why wouldn't you go for it? Some have become instructors as well and then still play gigs on the weekends. It's all in what you make of it I suppose. I've noticed it's worse with artists. Very feast or famine around here for them. Although, again, some have made it work in the favor quite well. I will say that every single artist I know that is successful locally, doesn't have a substance abuse problem. 

The only fully professional musician I know personally is Phil Beer (guitar/fiddle in Show of Hands, if there any folk fans on here). He's been a pro muso since (before) he left school, never done anything else. But even well into middle age, despite having played on tours and albums by the likes of Mike Oldfield and the Rolling Stones (and sold out the Royal Albert Hall with SoH), his mother would keep asking him (not in jest): "When are you going to get a proper job?"

Minimum wage

Which is?

Sorry should have elaborated! £6.19 an hour for over 21s. My colleagues who are younger earn less though (I don't know what).

The main perk of working for subway must be the free baguette on every shift? I'm addicted to Italian BMT, what a sandwich.

• Like 1

Â