World Cup Qualifying General Talk

maqroll

we played like shit but we were through. Go you Roos!!

Need to get the young guys transfers to clubs where they will get games. Rogic needs a season of playing regular football. I cant watch Holman anymore. Hes just absolute shit.

Herd included, he needs to leave Villa.

Tense for a while there, but we got there in the end!

How does this Australia team compare to the ones from the past? They are clearly not as good as the 2006 side, but what about the other sides?

They seem to change it every 4 years to suit themselves. Oceania winners now play 4th placed CONCACAF team, while the 2 third place getters in Asia will play off and the winner will play the fifth South American team.

I'm stoked that we are straight through because those play-offs can be soul destroyers.

With Kruse, Oar and Rogic looking well worth their places and Langerak waiting in the wings for Schwarzer to bugger off I am just starting a few glimpses of hope for the future.

I am surprised to see Schwarzer in goal for Australia. He is still decent I guess, but I would of thought a younger keeper would of replaced him by now. Alot of golden oldies in that team. Cahill, Neill, Schwarzer, Kewell etc.

Czech Republic are strange in the fact that they always qualify for the Euros, but hardly ever qualify for the world cup. Denmark are now out of it after that Armenia result. If Bulgaria qualify will Berbatov suddenly come out of international retirement so he can play in a world cup like Dwight Yorke did.

Danes aren't out of it, they beat Czechs 3-0 in Prague didn't they? If they can do that they can win in Copenhagen aswell.

Would like to see Bulgaria get to the play offs though, produced some talented attacking players down the years, seem to have an exciting young team coming through aswell now.

Well on closer inspection of the table, Denamrk are not out of it, but 4 points behind Bulgaria with only 4 games left is going to be difficult to close. Also Denmark have a worse goal difference by 7 and a worse head to head with Bulgaria, so they will need to get 5 more points then Bulgaria in those 4 games. I can't see them getting 5 points more the Bulgaria in those 4 games.

How does this Australia team compare to the ones from the past? They are clearly not as good as the 2006 side, but what about the other sides?

Personally I'm not the best person to ask. I've probably only been following football properly since '06, so Aussie teams before that period aren't my forte. A couple of the other guys here would know better.

I'd say the current team aren't as good as the 2010 side, let alone the 2006 team. But there are a couple of younger players who can and are having an impact. It'll be interesting to see if any of the older players are forced out by the time the World Cup rolls around.

The Socceroos will be on the plane to Brazil :cheers:

Watched their game last night in the local bar in South Australia, and boy did they make hard work of it. it was not a great quality of game, the weather was wet, but neither side looked to threaten much in the scoring stakes.

Great crowd - 80,500, though they were nervous till after the sub came on and scored with 10 mins left. Fair play to the Aussies, but they didn't look up to much, to me, in terms of being a threat to get out of a group in Brazil.

Â