The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I'm more interested how people KNOW that a new owner will be better

No one does.

Like i said, did you hold this same idiotic view when doug was in charge?

I dont give a shit about Doug, last time i looked he just had an office and a parking space.

I didn't piss and moan claiming the world was going to end because Doug was tight as arse and made up stories.

I had a club to support, sometimes good sometimes bad like every other club apart from the mega rich.

Fans not just Villa fans need to get a grip, money money money thats it, forget about the actual football.

so appointing a string of incompentents as chief exec and to the board (falkner, krulak) and the worst managers since Venglos (Houllier, Eck) arent cause for concern?

Yeah its not great never said it is, but finding a perfect manager is not easy for any club or any manager, a solid one is like gold dust.

Fans shouldn't be trusted though, at the start of the season Arsenal fans were calling for Wengers head with names such as Coyle as a suggestion.

The same Coyle that this season has come a cropper and proven not all that, whilst Wenger has come good again. If they had listened to some moronic fans they would be even worse!

Lerner's decided on Eck, god knows why he is shit, but i dont know what he could or couldn't afford or what basis it may or may not have on the running of the club.

So go ahead sack him, get someone else in that will instantly be good, not piss off any fans/players and cost no money to move all parties around.

Job done.

Saying he is shit get someone else doesn't work in the real world i'd imagine.

Exactly how short sighted are you?

Eck has a proven record of getting clubs relegated. 2 relegations in 3 years in fact. How does that in any way make him a potential manager for a club that has a recent history of finishing 6th 3 years running? With the 5th highest points tally in the premier leage over its 20 years?

This man is not fit to manage a premier league club, never was, never will be. This is not just a poor decision, it's one that should never even have been considered.

Look at the other shortlisted manager, Steve Mcclown? He couldnt even last 6 months at Forest...

When the like of Mark Hughes wasnt even shortlisted there is something rotten at the core of this football club - and at the core are the owner and his appointed officials all of whom have been doing a poor job of running a "football club" since day 1.

Fans not just Villa fans need to get a grip, money money money thats it, forget about the actual football.

My biggest gripe with Lerner is about the actual football though, not the fact he has stopped spending so much money. It's the shambolic nature of the last two appointments.

When the like of Mark Hughes wasnt even shortlisted there is something rotten at the core of this football club - and at the core are the owner and his appointed officials all of whom have been doing a poor job of running a "football club" since day 1.

In your opinion.

You bang on about running a football club but you have no idea what happened.

Perhaps Hughes was approached but wanted similar controls to O'Neill or something we couldn't offer him, hence why he was not considered.

Its never going to be as simple as, should have got him he would have been good, 100% we didn't so we're shit.

I'm not short sighted, god knows why we appointed Ek he is shit (as i said above and many other times) perhaps he was appointed to make us worse and go down, because that would make sense!

My biggest gripe with Lerner is about the actual football though, not the fact he has stopped spending so much money. It's the shambolic nature of the last two appointments.

Again in your opinion, its easy in hindsight and i dont understand either.

But unless he wants to make us shit and get relegated he must have thought there were some merit in them.

Who would have thought Pardew would be doing such a good job before he went to Newcastle, owners have to think past prejudices of fans for an appointment?

Other managers have relegated teams and done well at other clubs, doesn't make sense to me as i said but i doubt they just picked him willy nilly.

Fans dont like to consider that though, its just he is shit, they are shit, the CEO is shit; its like there needs to be some pantomime villain to moan and blame everything on.

You really do ignore most things don't you which makes your pathetic moaning at fans even more ridiculous.

My pathetic moaning about pathetic moaners you mean?

You seemed to have ignored all my previous points anyway surprisingly.

I've seen you make comments about how you want to enjoy watching Villa and feel like they are going someone.

What so if thats not the case you wont enjoy it, you wont enjoy being a supporter?

Your not a supporter then and missing the point massively!

makouns_grin are you here just to stir things up?

do we all have to write IMO on everything that we write or as we are on a public forum can it just be taken that what we write unless we are quoting from somwhere specific in always an opinion?

Mark Huges is just one example from a list ove about a dozen managers that were available and had better track records than Eck at the time not to mention that as we finished top half there would have been a large number of emplyed managers around also with better track records than Eck that would have considered the job had we approached them.

To cut a long story short i cannot believe that from all the managers out there that Eck was the best of those that would agree to take the job?

If thats the case then the people running the club are doing an even worse job than i though that they are unable to convince even half decent managers to come and work at one of he most prestigious and sucessful clubs in thr country over the last 20 years - INCOMPETANCE!

Again in your opinion, its easy in hindsight and i dont understand either.

But unless he wants to make us shit and get relegated he must have thought there were some merit in them.

Who would have thought Pardew would be doing such a good job before he went to Newcastle, owners have to think past prejudices of fans for an appointment?

Other managers have relegated teams and done well at other clubs, doesn't make sense to me as i said but i doubt they just picked him willy nilly.

Fans dont like to consider that though, its just he is shit, they are shit, the CEO is shit; its like there needs to be some pantomime villain to moan and blame everything on.

I think everybody knew what they were getting with McLeish in charge to be perfectly honest. I think you'll find it isn't just our fans, but pundits, other clubs fans', journos etc.

We know what basis they picked him on. It was Premier League experience regardless of anything else. It was the same with Houllier despite him being out of the league for a good 6 years. It was a circus from start to finish. McLaren, Benitez, Martinez before we have to prise McLeish away from small heath and pay them compensation.

To me it stinks of poor management of a football club. Appointing Houllier with his health problems, then having to pay him a large some of money at the end of the season when he has a reoccurance of them (not forgetting how poor we were on the pitch). Then appointing McLeish who will inevitably have everything against him from the off, and paying small heath.

We must have wasted around £9 or 10 million what with the whole O'Neill saga as well. Lerner is still spending money and will continue to do so because his board seem incompetent in appointing a decent manager. You can argue that it is hindsight but not when everybody can foresee what was going to happen.

I hope we dont get bought by Arabs... or anyone tbh. We could end up with a Venkys or someone like Pompey had.

Just stick with Randy, and once he's addressed the wages as much as he feels he needs to, he'll start spending again.

Yeah of course he will that's why a relegated Mcleish was the only manager who wanted the job.

Oh, so you think that we'll NEVER spend again? Riiiggghht.

And you think that Martinez rejected us because Lerner said 'I plan to never spend a penny in the transfer window' ???

Also, how do you know that McLeish was the only manager who wanted the job?

Maybe McLeish was the only one, that we asked, that didn't mind the task of cutting the wage bill drastically before paying anymore money into the squad?

In order for us to be competitive and not get in the same financial mess we will need to sign quality players for fairly cheap wages. Can you see Mcleish doing this?

Scott Dann?

I hope we dont get bought by Arabs... or anyone tbh. We could end up with a Venkys or someone like Pompey had.

Just stick with Randy, and once he's addressed the wages as much as he feels he needs to, he'll start spending again.

Surely this is as much a "clutching at straws" statement as those who are hoping to be taken over by QIA.

How do you know RL will start spending again?

Because he's be stupid to watch a Top 6-8 side slip down to constant 14th-16th placed finish. It would not be financially beneficial for him.

Just because we're trying to lower the wage bill, whilst also bringing through the younger players, (and yes, using a manager that maybe is happy with these handcuffs), doesn't mean that Randy has completely lost interest.

I'm more interested how people KNOW that a new owner will be better

No one does.

Like i said, did you hold this same idiotic view when doug was in charge?

I dont give a shit about Doug, last time i looked he just had an office and a parking space.

I didn't piss and moan claiming the world was going to end because Doug was tight as arse and made up stories.

I had a club to support, sometimes good sometimes bad like every other club apart from the mega rich.

Same old rubbish from you. You keep going on about money when most people's issue is not money but RL's poor administration of the club:

- a pathetic board made up of inexperienced yes men who know nothing about the leisure/football industry.

- two useless managerial appointments that have harmed the club.

- an erratic transfer policy that has left us with a poorly balanced squad and, potentially, in a relegation scrap.

RL has done some good things but he is more than undoing that good now by his constant poor decision taking and his generally poor management of the club.

RL has done some good things but he is more than undoing that good now by his constant poor decision taking and his generally poor management of the club.

Oh so he has done some good things as well as bad things, you mean like all other owners not perfect?

;)

To be honest I don't know why people are putting Houllier's appointment in the same bracket as McLeish. At the time I don't think it was a bad appointment especially considering that the season had already started. Ok, he didn't do that well here but there were some good signs towards the end of his tenure. It's just a big shame he had a recurrence of those heart problems as I think it would've been interesting to see what he could've done here. We certainly wouldn't have got McLeish that's for sure.

McLeish was an absolute clanger of an appointment. It doesn't make sense on any level.

Oh so he has done some good things as well as bad things, you mean like all other owners not perfect?

;)

Right so if we just moan in general about Lerner we are all pissed off he isnt spending money, if people give you specifics you just dodge them with some half arsed comment.

No point then is there................

Yeah of course he will that's why a relegated Mcleish was the only manager who wanted the job.

Oh, so you think that we'll NEVER spend again? Riiiggghht.

And you think that Martinez rejected us because Lerner said 'I plan to never spend a penny in the transfer window' ???

Also, how do you know that McLeish was the only manager who wanted the job?

Maybe McLeish was the only one, that we asked, that didn't mind the task of cutting the wage bill drastically before paying anymore money into the squad?

In order for us to be competitive and not get in the same financial mess we will need to sign quality players for fairly cheap wages. Can you see Mcleish doing this?

Scott Dann?

Randy will spend money but just in order to keep us in the prem. Hiring mcleish shows he has no intent at making us a competitive team again.

Do you not think better managers would have been interested if they were told we had a long term plan and all it meant was waiting for the likes of heskey and beye to be sold? Its not like a new manager has to sell bent and gabby to get the wages lower. I don't see why that wouldn't appeal to people.

Mcleish had just been relegated, of course he was happy to come and work for a club that's just happy to be in the prem. Why didn't we go for mcleish first? We ended up with him because no one else wanted it. How on earth can you think that shows Randy will try and make us competitive again in the future?

And scott dann? That was your proof of cheap quality. Is this the same player that was clearly available and clearly had to be sold and only blackburn on the last day of the transfer window came in for him.

Dann is a cheap player for a nothing midtable team, a perfect signing for mcleish and randy with the ambition both have for this club.

makouns_grin would throw a fit if he saw the expectations from Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool fans etc.

Nothing wrong with our expectations. We've been in the Premier League since it's birth. We don't deserve someone like McLeish ffs.

To be honest I don't know why people are putting Houllier's appointment in the same bracket as McLeish. At the time I don't think it was a bad appointment especially considering that the season had already started. Ok, he didn't do that well here but there were some good signs towards the end of his tenure. It's just a big shame he had a recurrence of those heart problems as I think it would've been interesting to see what he could've done here. We certainly wouldn't have got McLeish that's for sure.

McLeish was an absolute clanger of an appointment. It doesn't make sense on any level.

We went into the 37th game of the season not safe.

Our best two results came when he wasn't anywhere near the 1st team.

Houllier was a disaster and to follow it up with mcleish shows how shit randy is at the moment.

Right so if we just moan in general about Lerner we are all pissed off he isnt spending money, if people give you specifics you just dodge them with some half arsed comment.

No point then is there................

I have done read!

The simple fact is that the only change from now and when everyone was happy is that he spent money and had O'Neill.

He didn't say what was going on much then, same as now.

We had the so called terrible board then, same as now.

He went to games and missed some games, same as now.

If Randy did two things in January he would suddenly be brilliant manager. Spend shit loads and got rid of the manager.

All the other things people think of to have a go would be forgotten, good owner!

Fans seem to think its easy to run football clubs, balance books, appoint a new manager month by month based on results.

Would you have been happy with Pardew before he went to Newcastle, probably not, would you be happy now properly yes?

He is not going to sack him, just enjoy supporting club and if you cannot then i dunno, read a book.

There is nothing wrong with expectations, but realistic ones. Unfortunately the money that fans are so obsessed with has ruined any history and what it means.

Â