The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Mate of mine alerted me to this message posted on Avilla fan forum

Hello,

First of all let me say I am not here with the intention of putting the cat among the pigeons my name is also not important and I do not wise to disclose my position at Aston Villa football club but believe me I have that position and I have something to say. Behind the scenes at Aston Villa is a 'mess', senior members of the Aston Villa board are not happy. Randy Lerner as we speak is venturing into a new project in the United States which involves motor sport. Randy has also been left VERY depressed by his documented divorce with his wife Lara some have even mentioned a mid life crisis. Things are not been run well at Aston Villa Randy has done too much too soon and has gone against people's wishes at the club and has not appointed anybody with a knowledge for the game to help him. We at the club do not know weather he is about to put the club up for sale or not, yes he is trying to build a club sustainable by its own revenue but he is willing to do it by relegating Aston Villa from the Premier League. When they truth comes out about his new sports venture in the US I want you all to remember this message posted here as this is the one and only time I will post. Senior members of the board and of the playing staff are not happy with watching one of England's oldest and historic clubs slip into obscurity. Doug Ellis sold this club to Randy and everyone thought the dark days of Ellis were behind, Ellis was as much apart of this as Randy was, he allowed him to take complete control of the club knowing that Randy wanted to put several hundred slot machines in and around the stadium so people would spend money gambling at half time. I can promise fans of this club that members of the board and staff do not want this to happen to this club but Randy Lerner has to go ASAP before things get worse.

Thank you all for listening as I said I will not post again and just wait and see if I have told the truth. Randy is planning on purchasing a racing car company in the United States before this summer is over.

Ive heared quite a few similar stories from "People" associated with the club. First ive heared about the Racing venture, but i can concur that quite a few at Villa, can not stand the bloke.

Simple spelling mistakes say to me that this is UTTER BOLLOCKS.

"weather" instead of "whether"

and

"Wise" instead of "wish"

spring to mind. 

This. We may be a shambles of a club but I do imagine we employ people who can at least write.

Maybe Lerner has employed a bunch of illiterates to keep costs down!

Well hes got the Monkey ;)

Theres loads of this stuff going around, most of it heared from someone in the "know" whom knows somebody and shared over a few pints, when reality intwines itself with Bullshit. It then ends up on forums!

If he was somebody from the club then why tell us and not the media?

I can tell you though, Randy is very unpopular at VP and a bit of a hate figure with quite a few, and ive got that from the horses mouth and without a few sherberts lol.

Edited by MagicMushroom

What I don't get is that with Warnock and Hutton gone, we supposedly can't even afford to pay 30-35k/week for central defender. I can't believe that there wouldn't be a single centre half in the world who would be good enough for us and wouldn't take salary like that, 35k/week is 'just' 1,6 million per year.

Well..there has to be some reason? He is making money on other things than Aston Villa so you would expect that he would be willing to invest something. Honestly, I get the feeling he just watches matches in the states and take it from there. No real involvement on the day to day basis really. You would think he would do something at least.

I cannot see how this is all Lerner being stubborn and not changing on his policy even if it means relegation. I don`t really know, there is always more to it then you think but this whole approach of keeping the wages like a championship club seems to harsh. How is that possible, to make such a drastic shift over so little time. 

It's so alarming how much things have changed since Lerner took over and was rightly hailed as a saviour. We pushed for Champions League and he kept all of his promises. But now look. Complete mismanagement during and after the MON era has left us in the shit and, besides the managerial appointments (and to be fair besides McLeish I am fine with them) there are 2 key points:

1) If he couldn't sustain what he was authorising MON to do, he should never have authorised it; and

2) If he can't sustain our Premier League status and can't afford to make us successful, he should sell up.

We all know this to be true. Yet for him this club is a business venture and he probably wont go until he has been repaid by the company, which is also difficult for us because no doubt he is a secured creditor who could pull our club apart if the business went into insolvency. This wouldn't be too much of an issue if he could sell his stock and make a profit but that seems unlikely. Therefore until he is repaid he has us at gun point and he isn't going to let us go until he is safe with his funds.

And therein lies the problem. Football should never have gotten to a stage where the business side and financial side of things dictates what happens on the pitch. But alas it has and there isn't anything we can do about it. I just wish he could have the heart to leave us and let our club be successful at the hands of someone else, regardless of how it affects him as a business man.

If you don't have an interest in the sporting side of things, you should not be buying sports teams. Us loyal fans just get **** over by men in suits wanting to make a bit of money, a bit of fame and a bit of a statement.

Pretty much this. I think the key thing in all this is how is the debt set up and what the deal with the trust fund is. I dont know, and feel free to correct me if im wrong (i know you dont need the pep talk!) but is it not possible to set up trusts which have fixed conditions. If the debt is owed to the trust it could be on fixed long term (like generational) conditions? For me this is the missing piece of the financial jigsaw and I suspect we will never find out until he sells up. last years figures are going to make interesting if depressing reading. 

Maybe there is some truth in the motor racing speculation and maybe Lerner is not investing in the club because he plans to sell it?! Would explain why he's trying to get the wage bill down to a sustainable level.

Of course, getting relegated may just well mess those plans up because he would get less for the club.

Randy reputedly used to drink in the Anglesea Arms down in South Kensington. Anyone been in there recently?

Might pop in on Wednesday

Look for people with an ankle tattoo. You may need to pretend to drop your keys, to get a close look.

Randy reputedly used to drink in the Anglesea Arms down in South Kensington. Anyone been in there recently?

Look for people with an ankle tattoo. You may need to pretend to drop your keys, to get a close look.

Judging on current status, he is probably drinking in Wetherspoon's now.

Look for people with an ankle tattoo.

Ha yeah, or someone with a ginger bag carrier in tow

I feel sorry for any sports club he decides to get involved with next.

The guy is a complete failure.

I'm pretty confident he would have authorised 3.5m. But, quite sensibly, he wouldn't authorise 70k a week in wages. 

Sensible to not provide the manager with the best chance of keeping the club in the premier league?

Thats sensible?

Just a ridiculous comment Big John.

It would be totally ridiculous to authorise 70k a week on more players. That is exactly why we are in this mess.

You moan that he doesnt learn from his mistakes but when he shows signs of doing that, you moan as well.

Edited by Woodytom

Â