The Randy Lerner thread

CI

One thing is for sure, I bet Martinez is glad he didn't come to us. :notsure:

The only thing I would compare this to so far (and this is quite a bit down the line) is Forest. See how the players have responded to Cotterill vs. McLaren?

Would be interesting to see who could do better than AMC with the shit hand he's been dealt by RL. The only thing we could hope for is an up and coming manager from the Championship. Poyet or Adkins.

Anyway, AMC still deserves a chance but if we don't start putting some consistent (& good) performances in soon we could be in trouble. But our board are not the sort to act on that as it's not cost effective.

Anyone calling for McLeish's head needs to stop doing so immediately.

We went through far, far bleaker times under Houllier and Lerner didn't even flinch. Coming on here is going to get very tiresome if we start calling for his head after every defeat, because it simply isnt going to happen.

I wonder who he could have appointed that would have been much better?

Maybe someone with the following characteristics/ability:

- A personality

- To recognise that Emile Heskey is a central striker that has to be played at the point of the attack to be effective. He is not a CM'er, he is not a winger and he is most certainly not Franz bloody Beckenbauer!

- To motivate Charles N'Zogbia and Marc Albrighton, two of the best performing young wingers in the league last year neither of whom can kick a football under McLeish

- To recognise the glaring hole that we have in CM just in front of the two CB's

- To be able to set up a balanced front 6

- To be able to react to in game situations, like going down to 10 men

This is not rocket science. There are a number of candidates out there that I would have taken over McLeish. Holloway annoyed me with his comments last year but he could certainly inspire a team of relatively poor players and he knows how to play football. I wouldn't have minded him bringing Eck in as a defensive coach though! :winkold:

Errr...

You wanted us to appoint that useless tosser of a loser Holloway? :shock:

Did you mention this at the time BTW? :confused:

Eck needs time to sort this shower out

It's a 4 year project in my opinion, sort out the dead wood, nurture the young talent and be savvy in the Market with a great scouting network

All of this whilst keeping us in the PL

That's the only plan I can fathom

Eck needs time to sort this shower out

It's a 4 year project in my opinion, sort out the dead wood, nurture the young talent and be savvy in the Market with a great scouting network

All of this whilst keeping us in the PL

That's the only plan I can fathom

The chances of Alex McLeish being here in 4 years is near 0%. So call it what you want, but in four years someone else is going to be here trying to rectify Eck's mistakes.

Anyone calling for McLeish's head needs to stop doing so immediately.

We went through far, far bleaker times under Houllier and Lerner didn't even flinch. Coming on here is going to get very tiresome if we start calling for his head after every defeat, because it simply isnt going to happen.

Far bleaker times with Houllier?!.. how so?? he had a decent start and then we went on a bad run once we had all the injuries and were playing a midfield of players like Jonathan Hogg.....

The football and results with Houllier are better than those with Mcleish so far who has had the easiest set of fixtures we have ever had at the start of a season! when you see who the likes of QPR and Norwich have played and compare to our fixture list the fact they are above us shows what a poor start to the season we have had...

I actually feel sorry to Eck. I think he is a genuine, good man who seems to be really PROUD to be managing us and I am behind him and think he should be given a fair chance. I do feel he has been dealt a marked card though and I am now starting to think that maybe it would be best if he did go, sooner rather than later, because there are a certain section of Villa fans that will NEVER accept him and maybe we should try and get a manager who we can all get behind? (Would that ever happen??) I just feel it's all a great, great shame.

I wonder who he could have appointed that would have been much better?

Maybe someone with the following characteristics/ability:

- A personality

- To recognise that Emile Heskey is a central striker that has to be played at the point of the attack to be effective. He is not a CM'er, he is not a winger and he is most certainly not Franz bloody Beckenbauer!

- To motivate Charles N'Zogbia and Marc Albrighton, two of the best performing young wingers in the league last year neither of whom can kick a football under McLeish

- To recognise the glaring hole that we have in CM just in front of the two CB's

- To be able to set up a balanced front 6

- To be able to react to in game situations, like going down to 10 men

This is not rocket science. There are a number of candidates out there that I would have taken over McLeish. Holloway annoyed me with his comments last year but he could certainly inspire a team of relatively poor players and he knows how to play football. I wouldn't have minded him bringing Eck in as a defensive coach though! :winkold:

Errr...

You wanted us to appoint that useless tosser of a loser Holloway? :shock:

Did you mention this at the time BTW? :confused:

You call Holloway a useless tosser yet support McLesih? :confused:

Holloway did a far better job than McLeish last season when you consider the resources/wage bills of the two clubs and his football was, at least, entertaining.

I didn't mention Holloway at the time as I am not a Holloway fan, but I would take him over your "useless tosser" every time.

There are lots of options out there that would have been better than McLeish - in fact I am struggling to think of many that would be worse!

Both relegated, one with a cup one without yet somehow the one without the cup did better?

The one without a cup had a team full of championship players, the one with a cup was able to sign some players for and on a fair bit of money. The one without a cup kept a dream alive till the last day of the season, the one with a cup did something that only Villa fans dreamt about.

Expectations were different. One exceeded in being able to stay up till last day of season. One fell well short.

You call Holloway a useless tosser yet support McLesih? :confused:

You sometimes seem to be ssssooo wound up about McLeish that you seem to assume anyone who doesn't go alongcompletely with your outright and blinkered personal attacks on him must be a supporter.

I'm in the "give him a chance" camp as I think most reasonable Villa fans are.

I just note that the chance doesn't last for ever and things are not exactly looking brilliant at the moment.

And, yes, I call Holloway a useless tosser.

Both relegated, one with a cup one without yet somehow the one without the cup did better?

The one without a cup had a team full of championship players, the one with a cup was able to sign some players for and on a fair bit of money. The one without a cup kept a dream alive till the last day of the season, the one with a cup did something that only Villa fans dreamt about.

Expectations were different. One exceeded in being able to stay up till last day of season. One fell well short.

But in history and real terms the outcome regardless of when it happened is relegation so the cup is the difference. I think that makes him the more succesful of the two managers last year.

I am trying hard to think of a time when we have had a more boring time in football at Villa since I've been watching them. Other than Turner and McBingo, when we were on a downward spiral towards the inevitable. Such a shame, because we have a foundation to build from with two good forwards. The centre of the park is the problem imo. A couple of good signings and we'd be a half decent side, unfortunately, the current Manager may bore that off though.

I actually feel sorry to Eck. I think he is a genuine, good man who seems to be really PROUD to be managing us and I am behind him and think he should be given a fair chance. I do feel he has been dealt a marked card though and I am now starting to think that maybe it would be best if he did go, sooner rather than later, because there are a certain section of Villa fans that will NEVER accept him and maybe we should try and get a manager who we can all get behind? (Would that ever happen??) I just feel it's all a great, great shame.

I agree with a lot of the above, IMO he's a far more honest and respectful manager than Houllier was. Having said that, I never wanted either manager at Villa but he deserves a chance for his honesty alone.

I agree with a lot of the above, IMO he's a far more honest and respectful manager than Houllier was. Having said that, I never wanted either manager at Villa but he deserves a chance for his honesty alone.

Bullshit!

He earns several millions every year and he never had the credentials for this job. Do not make him out to be some sort of victim, because he is extremely lucky to even manage at this level. Something he has never managed to show that he can if you ask me.

People say he deserves our trust, however, I know that he is out of this job in 1-2 years anyway - so I will firmly stand on the side shrugging my shoulders. Sadly enough, thousands of our most loyal fans are doing the same. I have to add that I live abroad now, so it does take some financial sacrifice to go to Birmingham this year. Been there almost every year for 8 years, the chances of me going there this season is 0%. Sorry to say, call me a less devoted fan compared to many of you, but that is how it is. As we can see from this years' numbers.

We are.a below average team who, with a limited manager, will struggle to stay up. It is unfair to expect a manager of mcleishs ability to polish a turd. There is a manager currently unemployed who could get more out of this team but he would not come here undetermined this joke of an owner

Â