The Randy Lerner thread

CI

No, they chose Houllier & paid him top manager wages

Lord only knows why

My point was 12 months prior to that was the time for a step change upwards

MON had already hit his own personal glass ceiling, FACT

....I'd have thought the natural thing to do would be to continue this path, and indeed it looked like we tried - the manager that inspired Swansea's footballing style and has kept Wigan in the league was our first choice - I think he'd have been the right one.

What we ended up doing was finding we couldn't quite get what we wanted and panicking. The current manager is the worst I can ever remember at Villa Park - not just on the basis of results, but on his methods - there is no discernible style, there is no discernible plan, there doesn't seem to be a vision or an aim - no style, no hope, no future.

The most important thing Lerner has to do now is admit his mistake.

Exactly right IMO. Particularly the "panic" bit, and the point about an utter lack of aim, or vision or style. If McLeish was playing tedious football, but getting results, not world beating, but steady mid table fight for every point - maybe as Stoke do, or whoever else, then we'd bear it for a while, till the money mess was sorted out. But we're just awful. No entertainment, no results, no clue as to what we're trying to do, other than not get thrashed by teams, or to play for a 0-0 and maybe hope to somehow sneak a goal. It's grim, aimless, visionless, hopeless, gruel. It's horrible.

It's grim, aimless, visionless, hopeless, gruel. It's horrible.

And because of the mistakes over the last 18 months there is no way mcleish will be sacked. I have no doubt the club will be a mess if Mcleish is here for the next few years.

This is why i have no time for Lerner. His poor decision making has left us in a position where we are stuck with Mcleish.

....I'd have thought the natural thing to do would be to continue this path, and indeed it looked like we tried - the manager that inspired Swansea's footballing style and has kept Wigan in the league was our first choice - I think he'd have been the right one.

What we ended up doing was finding we couldn't quite get what we wanted and panicking. The current manager is the worst I can ever remember at Villa Park - not just on the basis of results, but on his methods - there is no discernible style, there is no discernible plan, there doesn't seem to be a vision or an aim - no style, no hope, no future.

Exactly right IMO. Particularly the "panic" bit, and the point about an utter lack of aim, or vision or style. If McLeish was playing tedious football, but getting results, not world beating, but steady mid table fight for every point - maybe as Stoke do, or whoever else, then we'd bear it for a while, till the money mess was sorted out. But we're just awful. No entertainment, no results, no clue as to what we're trying to do, other than not get thrashed by teams, or to play for a 0-0 and maybe hope to somehow sneak a goal. It's grim, aimless, visionless, hopeless, gruel. It's horrible.

^^^^This^^^^^

American's normally refer to 'soccer' as a boring game as it doesn't have the excitement that Basketball/Ice Hockey/NFL has due to their frequent high-scoring games.

As we know, the Americans are small-minded when it comes to our game, and football CAN be entertaining when it is played properly.

Randy is still the right owner for Villa, but he is definitely not the man to make footballing decisions on Villas' behalf.

He has grown up with an American football franchise mindset, where you don't have to be successful or even entertain in order to make a healthy profit each season.

Villa are currently a poor product in a very competitive market place, and while AM is manager our "product" is unlikely to improve. Randy needs to admit to himself that he is out of his depth and appoint a real football man to oversee all things football at executive level.

In order for Villa to recover from our current malaise AM and PG have to go as soon as this season is finished.

Commonsense for a Brummie football fan, but apparently less obvious to an American franchise holder.

And because of the mistakes over the last 18 months there is no way mcleish will be sacked. I have no doubt the club will be a mess if Mcleish is here for the next few years.

This is why i have no time for Lerner. His poor decision making has left us in a position where we are stuck with Mcleish.

With the money we are currently paying McLeish surely we can attract a decent manager. AVB or Benitez would be happy to be paid like one of the best managers in the world. If Lerner was going to pay the manager so much then why didn't he go out and get a good one at least? That's like paying going to a shitty restaurant and paying double than what you would at a nice one. Completely clueless.

The only point that I would make is timing. O'Neill's job was always a quick fix, and he should have been removed much earlier. That would have given the club a much better choice of potential appointments, and his successor a much better chance of building something.

You're the only person i've ever seen argue that MON should have been sacked earlier.

It was something that I stated on here at the time. I did plead the case for him to resign 18 months into his reign.

Blind faith must be a nice feeling.

You appear to be the most qualified to affirm that :)

Alzheimer's is a terrible disease.
having had relatives suffer from it I can confirm that it is terrible, not sure of the relevance to this thread though ?

As did my nan.

If you cared to scan the thread over properly you'd understand but I suppose its difficult to when you are using your phone but then you didnt get the petrol joke so maybe you just wont get this either. Not to worry.

I'd be surprised if Lerner sacked Mcleish as he is such a ditherer.

He's a weak man who was just lucky enough to inherit money and hides away whilst making ridiculously poor decisions.

Next time he bothers to come to Villa Park let's get the Lerner Out chants going!!!

I think you have to say some things twice to get through to some people!!! Especially when it makes sense and uses logic to form that opinion.

Randy will not let McLeish go in the summer as it will cost him a small fortune and also be an admission of him making a poor decision. I am also fairly confident that come this time next year when we a firmly rooted in the bottom 3 with little hope of survival that Randy and his cronies will start to panic big time and AM will be looking for his exit stategy come the summer.

The only way AM will go this summer is if Randy sells up, which I am hoping and praying for. I don't dislike Randy and really believe the guy has some affinity for us as a club. However what Randy has shown is that running a club is nothing like running a credit card company. I don't even want an oil shiekh just a businessman (or group) who love the Villa and understand football. Our squad isn't as bad as some make out they have just had little or poor leadership for the past 2 seasons. A couple of decent additions and release or sale of a couple of the over paid players and we could challenge for the Europa League with little money spent.

Simple!

And it is exactly what we were always going to get because it is exactly what he served up at Birmingham every season.

And it is exactly what we were always going to get because it is exactly what he served up at Birmingham every season.

Agreed. This is hardly a surprise. I still can't believe how many were willing to give him support initially and how many still defend him! The guy is just a very poor manager.

Â