The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Anyone seen this quote from yesterday's MON press conference. When asked about how he left Villa he replied;

"It is interesting because, to my discredit, I once broke a contract. But I did not break a contract at Villa. I broke a contract at Norwich after just six months but not at Villa.

"That said, Villa have a great history and it was a privilege to manage there at the time — but this is a great opportunity now at Sunderland."

It's been mentioned before, but doesn't this pretty much confirm the stories that Randy sacked Martin? If he didn't break his contract, then he must have been sacked.

Anyone seen this quote from yesterday's MON press conference. When asked about how he left Villa he replied;

"It is interesting because, to my discredit, I once broke a contract. But I did not break a contract at Villa. I broke a contract at Norwich after just six months but not at Villa.

"That said, Villa have a great history and it was a privilege to manage there at the time — but this is a great opportunity now at Sunderland."

It's been mentioned before, but doesn't this pretty much confirm the stories that Randy sacked Martin? If he didn't break his contract, then he must have been sacked.

Well it was pretty obvious, it's just that most people prefered to lay the blame on the man who chose not to give his side of the story. ( which is fair enough tbh )

No it doesn't, to my reading. My guess would be that there was something in MO'N's contract about him having sole/final say or authority on all transfers in and out, and that what happened was that Randy and Paul Faulkner declined to allow him to go ahead with a transfer he wanted to proceed with until he had reduced the wage bill and he wanted to bring someone in, then sell someone. So that this issue of timing would have been the crux of it. The club saying they had the right to set a wage budget (which they did/do) and the manager claiming they were preventing him from doing a transfer and not accepting his word that he would sell someone after adding someone and thus constructively dismissing him.

My feeling would also be that that MO'N might have felt that Paul Faulkner being made CEO and tasked with controlling the finances was possibly an imposition that indicated a reduction in trust in him from Randy.

I don't think that they sacked (in the traditional sense) MO'N at all.

I don’t think he was sacked. If he was it shows how dim PF and RL were as they didn’t have a replacement lined up. Actually over a year and a half later we haven’t appointed one yet. Anyone know when we are going to appoint a manager? Might help us win some games

Sometimes people over complicate things when it could be as simple as he walked away, perhaps he didnt have a notice period written or it becomes wavered when control is taken away from him, hence he never broke his contract. The money he got was possibly some compensation on the rolling one year contract.

What is obvious is that it isnt obvious that he was sacked or given constructive dismissal

So basically MON was told he couldn't sign Parker and Bent in the summer, only for GH to sign Makoun & Bent in January. This is how MON "quit" but still got compensation.

Perhaps a bit too much of a coincedence but if true, and as a result we lost one of our better managers over the last 10 years, Lerner can **** right off.

The memories and re-writing of the MON era is proper funny.

People would like to believe MON was the messiah and he got sacked / left because the little plucky guy was standing up to the owner.

Don't buy it and never will, anyone could have got 6th with the money he wasted and yes I realise we are currently living in his fantastic legacy he left us with the Villa park engraver having RSI tests and treatment and all his signings just keep on giving....

It's as simple as he got found out, he is no better than an alladyce or Souness in reality. If people think it was about Parker and Bent, you are in a dream world. It was more likely Titus Bramble and Steve Marlet on 45 k a week each for 4 years.

People would like to believe MON was the messiah and he got sacked / left because the little plucky guy was standing up to the owner.

Don't buy it and never will, anyone could have got 6th with the money he wasted and yes I realise we are currently living in his fantastic legacy he left us with the Villa park engraver having RSI tests and treatment and all his signings just keep on giving....

It's as simple as he got found out, he is no better than an alladyce or Souness in reality. If people think it was about Parker and Bent, you are in a dream world. It was more likely Titus Bramble and Steve Marlet on 45 k a week each for 4 years.

Lol. All his best signings have been sold.

We are much worse off without O'Neill. The evidence since he left proves this beyond any dispute.

If people think it was about Parker and Bent, you are in a dream world.

Thing is its coming from Pat Murphy who talks bollocks at the best of times and it doesnt even say that he did want Parker. It just says had he been allowed to sign him, the overriding factor is he wasnt been given anymore money till he sold players, this is why he wasnt allowed to sign someone. Also if he was definitely after him then Pat would have written "Martin wanted to sign" but he doesnt because its probably bollocks, what he writes confirms **** all and he knows it. I also dont remember any speculation and the press will print anything when given a whiff.

Its not difficult to see we need a player like Parker right now, its the perfect name for Pat to pick to stick up for someone who he is so far up his arse he can almost see Heskeys feet.

I am happy to show RL some respect, as soon as he gets back to doing the same for us.

Yes it's fantastic that he has invested heavily in our club and supported a gung-ho manager but we are in a much worse position now and frankly I couldn't give a monkey's how much money he has put in. We did not demand it.

He is the owner and can make his own decisions but football is more than just a business. Honestly, how was appointing Alex McLeish showing any level of respect to fans of the club he owns? How has the last 18 months of absolutely no PR interface with the fans showing any kind of respect?

I am greatful for everything RL has done but he is quickly managing to cock it all up.

Saying that maybe it is the people giving him advice that need to be binned.

Think I'm going to put off buying my new Learjet for a while, don't want thetrees watching my every move!

You'd be okay. Too many Manx registered jets are owned by Russian mafia. I wouldn't dare track them and you would be indistinguishable :winkold:

Lol. All his best signings have been sold.

We are much worse off without O'Neill. The evidence since he left proves this beyond any dispute.

I suppose the way MON was immediately snapped up by the likes of Real Madrid, Liverpool and Chelsea jobs confirms that. If he was shit he would have sat in his arse for a while waiting for the right big job to come along at a nothing relegation threatened club up by Scotland.

The evidence since he left proves this beyond any dispute I think you need a reality check.

Â