The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Not a fact but a pretty fair assessment. I think he's fortunate that he replaced who he did. I feel that another poor year and failure to sell the club may turn more fans against him this year.

Well no, it's not, is it? It's your opinion.

You're right! It's my opinion that, if Lerner had bought from a previous owner who was actually liked instead of hated, and we'd done what we've done under Lerner's reign, he would have faced large protests to try to force him out.

You're right! It's my opinion that, if Lerner had bought from a previous owner who was actually liked instead of hated, and we'd done what we've done under Lerner's reign, he would have faced large protests to try to force him out.

So it's not fact and is purely a hypothetical musing then?

If you say so Lexicon. But, for me, Lerner would have faced protests in that scenario. So you enjoy the fact that you are right about me being hypothetical and I'll sit here and think to myself just how lucky Lerner is to have bought from Ellis.

I just hope Lerner is gone ASAP so some good vibes can return to the Villa.

You don't think it's played any part in the patience fans have had with him?

I do Jonah. I think that he's been very lucky in respect of the fans not openly showing their displeasure towards him.

I also think that his timing is right for the sale. Because, I believe the fans would have turned on him this next season, if it turns out to be another struggle and he hadn't already made known his intentions to sell up.

Does the last 4 years wipe out the previous ones? I don't remember any condescending voices when Lerner was spending heavily. Now I've a hypothetical for you. The wage bill is now down to a sustainable level IF Lerner decided not to sell and backed Lambert as he did MON with a CEO running both the financial and football side of things properly. ie not letting the wage bill get out of control again would people be adverse to him staying?

I for one wouldn't mind. I don't care if he doesn't set foot in VP as long as the club is run properly with results to match his no appearance is only an issue when we are doing badly so for this reason a string CEO would be needed so as not to seem rudderless. We'll probably be sold on the morning now anyway!!

I think it's more to do with the fact that under his stewardship we, albeit for a fairly brief period, were as good as we have been in a hell of a long time before we slumped down to this mess. 

I do Jonah. I think that he's been very lucky in respect of the fans not openly showing their displeasure towards him.

I also think that his timing is right for the sale. Because, I believe the fans would have turned on him this next season, if it turns out to be another struggle and he hadn't already made known his intentions to sell up.

The thing is Doug was at every game so the fans protesting would have impacted him. Lerner wouldn't have cared or probably wouldn't have even known.

This sustainable wage bill bit gets me.Its obvious that Lerner can not sustain a wage bill of a team in the top 6, thats why we are in the bottom 6 ...thats all Lerner can afford. We were in the top 6 BUT Lerner could not afford that so we had to trim the wage bill to something HE could sustain, ...which is a team in the bottom 6, and as long as Lerner is at the helm that is where we will stay,bottom 6.

• Like 2

I think it's more to do with the fact that under his stewardship we, albeit for a fairly brief period, were as good as we have been in a hell of a long time before we slumped down to this mess.

"Were as good as we have been for a very long time" isn't exactly true IMO. In the Premier League we have had 8 seasons under Lerner's ownership, of which, 4 of them have seen us finish in the bottom half. Although, to be fair to him, his first season he didn't have much of an input into the team.

In the previous 14 Premier League seasons before Lerner's arrival, we only finished in the bottom half on 3 occasions.

I really don't think that 3 consecutive top six finishes should be held as a defence for some of the worst football, results and managerial failures that this club has known, certainly in its recent past.

This is what I don't understand. We have managed top 6 finishes in the past without a Billionaire owner. I know football has changed but does the revenue a club like Villa generate only allow for a relegation battle year after year?

Does the last 4 years wipe out the previous ones? I don't remember any condescending voices when Lerner was spending heavily. Now I've a hypothetical for you. The wage bill is now down to a sustainable level IF Lerner decided not to sell and backed Lambert as he did MON with a CEO running both the financial and football side of things properly. ie not letting the wage bill get out of control again would people be adverse to him staying?

I for one wouldn't mind. I don't care if he doesn't set foot in VP as long as the club is run properly with results to match his no appearance is only an issue when we are doing badly so for this reason a string CEO would be needed so as not to seem rudderless. We'll probably be sold on the morning now anyway!!

Do the last 4 years wipe out the previous ones? I'd probably say they do now for me. I enjoyed finishing 6th and challenging for a cup but i don't think that means the last 4 are acceptable

You say you care about the club being run well and the results to match but he hasn't done that for a very long time. If at all really. When you look back I'm not sure you could ever say we had a period where the club was run well and the results were good under Lerner.

As for your question, I'd say no. I don't trust him to make right decisions and I don't think he's capable of running us the way we should be run.

I think that's a big part of it but I think replacing a hated man has added to the patience fans have shown towards him.

Does the last 4 years wipe out the previous ones? I don't remember any condescending voices when Lerner was spending heavily....

I think this grammar nazi joke will work. Here goes. "You do know that condescending means patronising and talking down to, don't you? and the word you wanted was "dissenting"

Â