The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I think it is to get clubs to break even and curb players wages so that the financial side of football can brought back under some sort of control and clubs will continue to 'always' exist in the future and not do a Leeds or Portsmouth.

Financial control over an entertainment industry is a pipe dream. Rules to stop reckless borrowing based on income streams that may or may not come to fruition is one thing, preventing a new owner to invest in a club as he/she would see fit is another. If some of the rules they have proposed domestically are ever enforced it would mean nothing short of a miracle will allow clubs to stride forward, it will be gridlock. People claim it's about money now, but that won't change. City have bought our players before with the temptation of success and money, and they can continue to do it. The only difference is before we had hope something similar might happen to us, if these rules were applied there would be none because the only owners that will remain interested in buying football clubs will be those after their own pay day.

5-6 of the top clubs in the PL probably couldn't care less because they have already cemented their status and feel they can compete even with missing out on CL money. The clubs these proposed rules are really hurting are big clubs trying to push on and break into those places, and that goes for all tiers of the football league.

I particularly like how the destination of the money going to UEFA's bank account from these fines is 'yet to be decided'. Pretty sure I know the destination ;)

I think it is to get clubs to break even and curb players wages so that the financial side of football can brought back under some sort of control and clubs will continue to 'always' exist in the future and not do a Leeds or Portsmouth.

I particularly like how the destination of the money going to UEFA's bank account from these fines is 'yet to be decided'. Pretty sure I know the destination ;)

Shall we play 'the guess what the football good guys are going to do'?

Is it-

A) invest it in grassroots facilities distributed across all member FA's of UEFA?

b ) use the money to tighten laws and litigation regarding the enforcing of it's rules, to stamp out racism and corruption in the game

C) stuff their directors pockets with it and say it's a bonus

Edited by islingtonclaret

just out of curiosity, is there any restrictions on what kind of business a football club can be involved in?

could randy or any other owner for example hire 5 shifty bankers to do some daytrading and put the profits from that towards players and wages? could you buy up loads of small shops and use the profits from those? or does it have to be related to football only?

Surely there is no restrictions.

If you think about it football clubs hire out for functions, sell food, clothes, beer, financial services, hotel rooms....

And that is just off the top of my head.

Nope.

It depends IF Lerner invests a bigger amount on quality players.

quality is very subjective, one mans meat is another mans poison.

If Reo Coker, Cuellar, Sidwell, Warnock, Bent, Heskey, NZogbia, Davies all in excess of 5 mill transfers are all examples of Quality, then we are well and truly stuffed......I'm sure he'll phone the Gaffa for advice. :(

What if he doesn't sell? Does anyone envision a prolonged "Lerner Out" campaign? Match day boycotts/protests?

I think if he stays he will have to do something. Most likley change the manager - and perhaps bring a villa old boy onto the coaching staff......there could also be cosmetic changes at board level ...an old player as non executive director....I don't believe he will struggle on with Lambert....

If you think about it football clubs hire out for functions, sell food, clothes, beer, financial services, hotel rooms....

True! Might be a good idea to start looking for other ways of increasing our profits then, where can we make easy money?!

True! Might be a good idea to start looking for other ways of increasing our profits then, where can we make easy money?!

buying players right.....lets have a scout and a coach, that would be innovative :ph34r:

Edited by TRO

20m on 3 or 4 players is what would happen if Lerner continues the funding available as previous.....

I would be disappointed with that because he's made available between £15-20 million available for the last 3 seasons. With the new TV contract and the money saved by wages being cut I expect at least £30 million and some leeway on wages to buy premier league quality players...something we haven't done for 2 years.

I was just thinking about Lerners 8 years. Now if you look at what squad we have now, I think it's a lot worse than what we had when he took over. So what's your choice of match day squad between the two.

Mine is.

Guzan

Mellberg, Vlaar, Laursen, Bouma

Barry, Davis, Delph

Angel, Benteke, Gabby

Subs

Sorensen

Westwood

Baros

McCann

Hendrie

Hughes

Cahill

That's 13 that was here when he took over and and 5 here now.

Oaks what you seem to have skipped over is we were making losses before this new deal so this new deal allows us to spend 20m (see my post a page or two back on this) and break even.

If we are going to be a self funding club which is what it seems to have been moving towards.

Â