The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I think it's something to do with the fact you're constantly moaning about "surviving on the cheap" and how many fans have "lowered their expectations" which has implied you think Villa should be spending loads of money near the top of the table BJ.

No I couldn't possibly think we should be doing something in between.

Isn't that what we're doing now?

I think it's something to do with the fact you're constantly moaning about "surviving on the cheap" and how many fans have "lowered their expectations" which has implied you think Villa should be spending loads of money near the top of the table BJ.

No I couldn't possibly think we should be doing something in between.

Isn't that what we're doing now?

Did you miss January?

What the f***? I'm happy when we spend what we can afford its as simple as that as I don't EXPECT more than that.

Talking about needs being met is all that matters and money spent doesn't sounds like a child.

Or a bankrupt.

I'm confused villabromsgrove whats this about only 4m increase per season that HAS to be wrong it doesn't make sense for when new tv deals come out etc

Google "FFP explained" Paul, (2nd from top under Premier league) One of my sons mentioned it to me a few days ago and it made me think about our current situation.

Transfers since Lambert joined. Numbers are from Soccerbase.com. Dunno how accurate they are. To be frank this doesn't really look like a club who is too concerned with keeping costs down. High earners are leaving and being replaced by younger players on lower wages, yes, but we're also signing a fair few of them and it all adds up. Do you expect more than this in the future?

2013/14

Players in

Leandro Bacuna FC Groningen £3,000,000

Jores Okore Nordsjaelland £4,000,000

Nicklas Helenius Aalborg £1,200,000

Antonio Luna Seville £2,000,000

Jed Steer Norwich Free

Libor Kozak Lazio £7,000,000

Aleksandar Tonev Lech Poznan £2,500,000

Total: £19,700,000

Players loaned in

Ryan Bertrand Chelsea

Grant Holt Wigan

Players out

Eric Lichaj Nottm Forest Free

Malcomn Melvin Notts Co Free

Derrick Williams Bristol C Free

Brett Holman Al Nassr Free

Courtney Cameron Torquay

Richard Dunne QPR Free

Jean Makoun Rennes Signed

Andy Marshall Millwall Free

Barry Bannan C Palace Signed

Stephen Ireland Stoke Signed

Total: £0

Players loaned out

Benjamin Siegrist Burton

Shay Given Middlesbro

Enda Stevens Doncastee

Jack Grealish Notts Co

Samir Carruthers MK Dons

Nathan Delfouneso Coventry

Graeme Burke Shrewsbury

Michael Drennan Carlisle

Darren Bent Fulham

2012/13--------------------

Players in

Karim El Ahmadi Feyenoord £2,000,000

Brett Holman AZ Alkmaar Free

Matthew Lowton Sheff Utd £3,000,000

Ron Vlaar Feyenoord £3,200,000

Joe Bennett Middlesbro £2,750,000

Christian Benteke Genk £7,000,000

Jordan Bowery Chesterfield £500,000

Ashley R Westwood Crewe £2,000,000

Yacouba Sylla Clermont £2,000,000

Total: £22,450,000

Players out

Carlos Cuellar Sunderland Free

James Collins West Ham £2,500,000

Connor Taylor Walsall Free

Stephen Warnock Leeds Free

Total: £2,500,000

Players released

Habib Beye

Stiliyan Petrov

I don't mean to be mean, but most of those fees are absolute bollox.

Are they?  The audited accounts confirm that what we spent last year was £21.7m.  I may have mentioned it before.

Lowton cost less than 1 million, Westwood cost less than 1 million, Bowery cost a couple of happy meals. I'm fairly certain Tonev cost less than 2million. I even think the Benteke fee is incorrect, wasn't the actual fee closer to the £5.5million mark? Not sure why it has £0 for our total sales. We sold Bannan and Makoun for actual money.

It's not terribly wrong but, quite a bit off a couple of the transfers in there.

Annnnd, wouldn't that confirmed £21.7 million include agents and signing on fees rather than just actual transfer fees?

Edited by blandy

I'm confused villabromsgrove whats this about only 4m increase per season that HAS to be wrong it doesn't make sense for when new tv deals come out etc

It is correct. Its the agreed Premier League FFP rather than the Uefa FFP which only affects the teams in Europe.

The Premier League FFP was put in place to stop clubs using the extra TV money on spiralling wages.

I think a self sustaining club would be spending around 20% of turnover on annual transfer fees, 65% on wages and 15% on overheads.

So with the new TV deal increasing turnover to £100mill, we can probably spend £20mill on transfer fees a year (summer and Jan combined).

As for wages, I think a lot of people are forgetting to add on National Insurance at 12.8%, medical insurance at 10% and bonuses at average of 10%. Thats 33% extra on whatever you think the wage bill will be this season, plus around £8mill in non-playing staff wages.

So if you calculate wages at £40mill, add £13mill in for the other costs, plus £8mill for non-players, and the wage bill is actually £61mill.

Good point ender, and as for the transfer fees including signing fees and agents fees on the audited account..... even if it did so what that is what it cost to buy them.....????

I'll look up that google link now seems I lack knowledge on something if that's true :o

Ok so looked it up and it says bear with me here.....

For the Europa League/ Champions League you can lose 45m EUROS over 3 years and sanctions for breaking this rule ranges from a warning to a ban (who the hell decides what the punishment should be?). Also it says the maximum loss if the owner does not inject money into the club is 5 million EUROS over 3 years

For the Premiership you can lose 105m POUNDS over 3 years or 15m over 3 seasons if the owner doesn't inject money into the club. There are no restrictions on how you increase your wage bill if it is under 52m however if your wage bill is over that amount at the start of the 2013/2014 season (this season) you can increase the wage bill by 4 million pounds per year PLUS ANY INCREASED REVENUE FROM NEW COMMERCIAL DEALS. Sanctions for breaking the rules include points deductions and other sanctions yet to be confirmed.

So questions to be answered if anyone has an answer.......

1. Who decides what is a punishment should be and what are the thresholds for reaching each punishment stage?

2. The injection of money by an owner seems key here to help be competitive. Lose 45m euros or 5m euros over 3 years is a bit of a no brainer?

3. The Premier League rules will allow new clubs to the league to lose an obscene amount of money to try and stay in the league. What kind of an effect will that have on the established teams like us?

4. It doesn't matter what your wage bill is going into the season it could be 100m, 52m isn't a cap its just where  this 4m a year increase starts. Wouldn't it be best to have a high wage bill at the start of the season so you have a higher limit to reach when you add the extra 4m a per?

5. It says "plus any increased revenue from new commercial deals" what counts as new revenue? New TV deal, shirt/kit sponsor, naming rights, etc etc etc etc.

It throws up more questions to be honest and sounds wishy washy.

Anyone shed 100% confirmed light on any of those questions?

Oh yea and how many points to be deducted?

I'm not happy no matter what, no - but I'm willing to forgive mistakes and I'm willing to wait it out if I see there is a long term plan, and for me and quite a lot of other people it's plain to see that we're progressing and the future is looking alright.

Hahaha 'alright' that right there sums it all up.

Cheering on 4 years of shit because the future might be 'alright'

Stuff of childhood dreams there.

Cheering on? I'm not some happy clappy **** - I hated the McLeish era just as much as anyone but at least I gave him a chance at the beginning. After that I didn't see any reason to get behind anything he did after a while in charge because it was clear there was nothing to him. With Lambert, I'm willing to take the rough with the smooth in the meantime because I genuinely think things will work out and we'll be back in the top 8 and giving the top 6 a go, which is where a club like us should be. 

• Like 2

I'm not happy no matter what, no - but I'm willing to forgive mistakes and I'm willing to wait it out if I see there is a long term plan, and for me and quite a lot of other people it's plain to see that we're progressing and the future is looking alright.

Hahaha 'alright' that right there sums it all up.

Cheering on 4 years of shit because the future might be 'alright'

Stuff of childhood dreams there.

Cheering on? I'm not some happy clappy **** - I hated the McLeish era just as much as anyone but at least I gave him a chance at the beginning. After that I didn't see any reason to get behind anything he did after a while in charge because it was clear there was nothing to him. With Lambert, I'm willing to take the rough with the smooth in the meantime because I genuinely think things will work out and we'll be back in the top 8 and giving the top 6 a go, which is where a club like us should be.

Take the rough with the smooth? Lambert has given us plenty of the former but nothing of the latter.

I'd say the Lambert era is every bit as bad if not worse than the McLeish era.

Â