The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Our 2 most expensive signings of 7 mill a piece ain't exactly pulling up trees, so when we get this improved money....what assurance have we got that it will make any difference.

I have some grave doubts.

Our 2 most expensive signings of 7 mill a piece ain't exactly pulling up trees, so when we get this improved money....what assurance have we got that it will make any difference.

really? you are aware Benteke saved us last season and is probably still worth 3 times as much even though he off form

Edited by Zatman

Some of the criticism Randy has received from some quarters I have not always agreed with.

IMO he has been blamed for things fairly exclusively that others should also have shared the criticism with him, but I don't want to get in to that debate anymore.

Where my worry does come in is the general feel of Lethargy about B6...I don't get the feeling like I did with HDE is that there is a man about the place that keeps them ALL on their toes.

It all seems a very nice place and that anything goes....poor performance seems to be a dealt with a " we go again " its all a bit "Que sera sera"

We seem to be in transition permenantly....it all seems a bit too cosy for my liking.

He needs to get his arse back here and shake a few feathers.....and breath a bit of fire in to things. If he can't do it, he needs someone who can.

The players seem to playing like they are an extension of the attitude of the club....PASSIVE

I agree and Randy has done some good (Lambert, signing Benteke to an extended deal) but there are far too many things wrong at the club, especially where you say we are in constant transition, spot on. 

Kozak has one goal in three this season, Benteke has about the same. Whilst this is not a great amount, it is not quite a disaster (thanks to others chipping in). Both have shown they can do the job (Kozak less so, but less time for him) and so there is no reason to think we cannot spend a little more money and get better results.

Example.. Westwood is good and cost £2.5m (ish), imagine a Westwood type player costing three times that. You know, making the step up in quality through wages and investment.

Lerner said: "It is my belief and the basis for my bid that Aston Villa can compete at the highest level within the Premiership and in Europe. The club has a rich history and a long tradition of passionate fan support."

Yeah I know all the changes that happened but dam!! why did we have to be the club where it went tits up!

Well thanks Mr.Lerner after 48 years of going down you have driven me away and now couldn't care less........why should I....you don't! #absentowner

You must have seen a lot worse over that timescale.

Yes, but that was before the internet ;)

If Randy sells who's to say the grass is greener on the other side? 

Yes but I am struggling to think of a worse owner than Lerner ATM.

He has truly presided over the **** up of the club I love.

In the Halcyon days of the Premier League he has allowed our great club to get in such a mess that we are now arguing about wages for Division 1 dross!

In some ways I would love that all we were arguing about was a change of colours or incorporating Lions into the clubs name. We are going to be the next Forest or Leeds.

In the Halcyon days of the Premier League he has allowed our great club to get in such a mess that we are now arguing about wages for Division 1 dross!

In some ways I would love that all we were arguing about was a change of colours or incorporating Lions into the clubs name. We are going to be the next Forest or Leeds.

I think you are exaggerating.

Zatman

I am aware of Benteke and I am aware of his contribution of last season.

I am hoping (like I have to do with most things associated with Aston Villa) that a form dip is all that it is.

I have never seen one of our previous quality forwards have quite such a form dip of the magnitude that Benteke has managed....its not just scoring goals, if it was it wouldn't be quite so alarming.

Lerner's problem is that he went from one extreme to the other. Fans have slated him for both.  Had he just made steady investment fans would have probably slated him for that too claiming he weren't backing the manager enough.

It's a weird one for me, I appreciate Lerner in the sense that I do think he has the best interests of the club at heart. He probably feels he can no longer chuck his personal finances at it for whatever reason, so has come to the conclusion that the club needs to be self-sufficient. (Which is true, we couldn't have kept going on the way we were). Whilst I appreciate and understand Randy's thinking approach to the way the football club is now run as a business, as a fan of the club, it's **** boring and I hate the fact we/Lambert can't buy decent players.

I'm not too sure if I want Lerner out. For me he probably gets a couple more years, but if he's planning on running the club like he has been for the past couple of years indefinitely then I ask.... what's the point? Who gains? Lerner will make no money, fans will be bored and the football will be average. Something has to give at some point. I'm guessing he's preparing for a sale, but that's just speculation. 

• Like 1

I think you are exaggerating.

Well you are entitled to an opinion.

It just annoys me to think that Lerner has paid out for Ireland, Houllier's compensation, MON compo for unfair dismissal, compensation to the inbreds for McLeish then 12 months later more compo to sack McLeish then more compo to Norwich for Lambert.

Blimey we could have bought a few players for that.

All these players on high wages were signed with Lerners blessing. It's just like Levy cannot moan about AVB's signings IMO as he approved them.

Lerner's problem is that he went from one extreme to the other. Fans have slated him for both.  Had he just made steady investment fans would have probably slated him for that too claiming he weren't backing the manager enough.

It's a weird one for me, I appreciate Lerner in the sense that I do think he has the best interests of the club at heart. He probably feels he can no longer chuck his personal finances at it for whatever reason, so has come to the conclusion that the club needs to be self-sufficient. (Which is true, we couldn't have kept going on the way we were). Whilst I appreciate and understand Randy's thinking approach to the way the football club is now run as a business, as a fan of the club, it's **** boring and I hate the fact we/Lambert can't buy decent players.

I'm not too sure if I want Lerner out. For me he probably gets a couple more years, but if he's planning on running the club like he has been for the past couple of years indefinitely then I ask.... what's the point? Who gains? Lerner will make no money, fans will be bored and the football will be average. Something has to give at some point. I'm guessing he's preparing for a sale, but that's just speculation. 

I really don't think we need a couple more years to gauge where Lerner is taking us. As painful as it is we all know deep down this is the end game. Low wages\ Low Fee players and managers - its a slow slide downwards until he sells up.

• Like 1

Lerner's problem is that he went from one extreme to the other. Fans have slated him for both. Had he just made steady investment fans would have probably slated him for that too claiming he weren't backing the manager enough.

I really don't think we need a couple more years to gauge where Lerner is taking us. As painful as it is we all know deep down this is the end game. Low wages\ Low Fee players and managers - its a slow slide downwards until he sells up.
Agree. By the time fans take action it will be too late, I fear. Edited by dodgyknees

Â