Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Uuurrgghh... Lambert Lambert Lambert. Again, so tactically stupid. Why play with such a high line? Surely we would have been better off soaking up pressure from deep and hitting on the counter? Why give Rooney sooooooooooooooooo much time on the ball every time he got it. I really want to like Lambert, but his tactics are **** useless.... he has no idea what he's doing. He just changes things when it's going wrong. I weren't expecting anything from the game yesterday, but to concede 3 in 30minutes was a bit pathetic. 

Thank goodness you came, Captain Hindsight - we wouldn't know what to do without your post-action criticism! 

His changes at half time saved us from getting bummed. 

'Sne' don't let facts get in the way of excuses. Your simply not allowed to do that on here.

Why does everything have to be labelled an excuse?

WHy aren't people allowed to try and put some context around our defensive record? 

Why can't people try and explain (not excuse) why our defence might be so bad?

We don't all have to declare that we're completely shit and we're doomed forever.

it's ironic that you're one of the people who always moans that you're not allowed to have an opinion that differs from other people, but if people disagree with you you just pass it off as "excuses".

It's a discussion. God forbid someone tries to talk about WHY our defence is shit, or why it might get better or where we could possibly see any positives, rather than just moaning about it.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

To be fair i come here and moan about the defence all the time.

Our last clean sheet was dec 8th against Stoke, that's 20 games ago

And don't get me wrong, the rest of my post wasn't aimed at you. As said, I agree that our team is really, really poor at defending. As a unit.

Unless you are comparing like with like your "stats" mean **** all.

I think the only stats that matter is the current table and the for and against columns, or should we ignore that aswell?

If you read my next post I'm sure you'll find your answer.  

:thumb:

'Sne' don't let facts get in the way of excuses. Your simply not allowed to do that on here.

WHy aren't people allowed to try and put some context around our defensive record? 

We don't all have to declare that we're completely shit and we're doomed forever.

it's ironic that you're one of the people who always moans that you're not allowed to have an opinion that differs from other people, but if people disagree with you you just pass it off as "excuses".

It's a discussion. God forbid someone tries to talk about WHY our defence is shit, or why it might get better or where we could possibly see any positives, rather than just moaning about it.

Show me where i have always moaned that i am not allowed to have an opinion that differs from other people. According to you there must be a plethora of my posts stating that on a continual basis, or, in your anger, are you mistaking me for another poster?

Posters have put some context around our defensive record and used facts to explain that and explain to me where are the positives with our defence this season or do you want to blame the home fans as one other poster did? 

Uuurrgghh... Lambert Lambert Lambert. Again, so tactically stupid. Why play with such a high line? Surely we would have been better off soaking up pressure from deep and hitting on the counter? Why give Rooney sooooooooooooooooo much time on the ball every time he got it. I really want to like Lambert, but his tactics are **** useless.... he has no idea what he's doing. He just changes things when it's going wrong. I weren't expecting anything from the game yesterday, but to concede 3 in 30minutes was a bit pathetic. 

Thank goodness you came, Captain Hindsight - we wouldn't know what to do without your post-action criticism! 

His changes at half time saved us from getting bummed. 

Not really... playing a high line against Man UTD @ Old Trafford, with a terrible defence is hardly a great idea is it? Anyone with half a brain could see that it wasn't going to work after about 5 minutes in that game. Yet Lambert didn't change it. Stupid. 

His half time changes were too late, and UTD pretty much just stopped playing. 

We should have started deep and then become more expansive as the game went on. Playing so high from the start was suicidal. 

Edited by PieFacE

Or could it have been that Man U simply played the rest of the game in 1st gear, a period in which we still failed to score?

Not true.

Fergie was having a right tantrum with his team during the second half, and its why he subbed Rooney.

When you go in 3-0 up at half time, you are actually thinking game over and job done, so its difficult sometimes, to keep that momentum for the second half. Some of thier key players (Rooney) had switched off mentally.

Getting tighter to Rooney and filling the midfield just compounded that, since they were finding less space.

To assume they were told to take it easy, is plain wrong. Besides, most of us had written this game off beforehand, so its not as if it were unexpected. Sunderland is the game to judge.

Unless you are comparing like with like your "stats" mean **** all.

I think the only stats that matter is the current table and the for and against columns, or should we ignore that aswell?

If you read my next post I'm sure you'll find your answer.  

:thumb:

It does help sometimes :D

Or could it have been that Man U simply played the rest of the game in 1st gear, a period in which we still failed to score?

When you go in 3-0 up at half time, you are actually thinking game over and job done, so its difficult sometimes, to keep that momentum for the second half. Some of thier key players (Rooney) had switched off mentally.

Which basically proves my point.

I think the midfield needs a shake up v Sunderland.

.........................Guzan...........................

Lowton.....Vlaar............Baker.......Lichaj

..........................Clark............................

...........El Ahmadi........Bannan..............

Weimann........Benteke..............Gabby

Time to ring the changes.

Not true.

Fergie was having a right tantrum with his team during the second half, and its why he subbed Rooney.

Getting tighter to Rooney and filling the midfield just compounded that, since they were finding less space.

To assume they were told to take it easy, is plain wrong. Besides, most of us had written this game off beforehand, so its not as if it were unexpected. Sunderland is the game to judge.

You say not true, I say absolutely true. They had already won, they didn't fear us and just took the foot off the pedal. If it was Arsenal or City they would have continued, but they don't have the urge to destroy us the same way and most were probably thinking about which club they were going to the same evening.

Besides, even at half pace they created a sitter for Kagawa and a pretty good chance for Rooney (twice) from outside the box after some nice play by Van Persie. Not that it matter from last night, but it matters in the long run as we actually have a shot at finishing better than Wigan in terms of GD.

Hopefully we stay up either way the defence needs to be sorted , be it better personal or better coaching because it has cost us all season long.At least RVP 2nd last night was a decent goal for once in a season of Sunday league defending.

Show me where i have always moaned that i am not allowed to have an opinion that differs from other people. According to you there must be a plethora of my posts stating that on a continual basis, or, in your anger, are you mistaking me for another poster?

Posters have put some context around our defensive record and used facts to explain that and explain to me where are the positives with our defence this season or do you want to blame the home fans as one other poster did? 

I'm not about to go trawling through your posts. Maybe you've never done it before (I doubt it but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt) but you've done it on this occasion, and other posters ("one of the people...") do it a lot. Maybe it's unfair to lump you in with them so I apologise if that's the case. But, again, you've done it on this occasion, which is half of the point.

I'm not angry, I'm not sure what gives you that impression.

You're right, posters have put some context around our defence, on both sides of the argument (one side being the completely negative "we're all doomed" point of view, the other being the slightly less negative, but still accepting of our weaknesses, "maybe we're not completely ****" point of view) and you've dismissed the side of the argument you don't agree with as "excuses", when in actual fact the majority of the time it's not an excuse, it's a discussion. Just because it disagrees with you doesn't mean people are making excuses and doesn't mean people have it in for you and are violating your right to express your opinion.

Positives? There's not many.

Lowton looks a good player. Not yet the finished article but certainly promising given it's his first season and he's young.

Vlaar looks to be a good leader and organiser. he's not an amazing defender but he's decent and there's been an improvement, in my opinion, since he's been regularly back in the team.

Clark and Baker both show promise, but again are admittedly far from the completed article and shouldn't have played as big a part in the team this year as they have. That doesn't mean they haven't shown some potential.

We have an excellent goalkeeper.

Are those positives enough to outweigh the negatives? of course not. The defence has been for the most part, awful this year. But that doesn't mean we can't see ANYTHING positive in it whatsoever. That doesn't mean that talking about the inexperience of our defenders as being justification as to why the defence has been poor is merely people making excuses. And it doesn't mean that speculating that the current defenders might fare better with another season of experience under their belts is completely insane, because it isn't.

As for the very last part of your post, about blaming the home fans. I have genuinely no idea what that has to do with anything I've written. I'd suggest if you have a problem with what another poster has posted about this you post something addressing them. I really don't see what that has to do with me.

Personally think he is doing okay with what is the equivalent of a promoted team all season.

Good point.

It was his choice to buy these players though, he gave himself this handicap. We can all say these players will turn into gems in the future but we can also relegate and never come back up again like Coventry. RIsk and reward don't quite hold up IMO. Besides, many promoted teams give a hell of a fight and end up 12th or something. If a promoted club spent 20 something million and had a few players like Gabby, Ireland, Delph, Weimann, Bent, N'Zogbia on top of that then just surviving is not very okay. Bare minimum perhaps?

I don't think Lambert is going to get sacked if we stay up, but obviously he is going to be watched carefully over the next season in terms of development. Many managers have gone down the route of buying cheap youth players and sticking to their policies, but most have failed. Also, I think many people are naive towards the fact that youth players automatically become much better after a year of experience. Why is that? If you are not a good player when you are 21, you don't necessarily become a very good player at 22 or 23. I think a good example is Ciaran Clark, whom I had great expectations for. He was such a natural talent, but now that he has some 60 games for us he hasn't turned into a top 6 players like I hoped he would be. Not yet, maybe not ever.. and I doubt I will say after 2013/14 that Joe Bennett is going to be the next Ashley Cole or Patrice Evra.

Saying that, if we stay up we are going to be optimistic when summer comes along, there is some money to spend on new players et al. Staying up is all that matters and then we will see in the summer what happens to our squad..