Paul Lambert

Pilchard

So what should he have done differently with his subs then?

What were the purpose of his subs? What was he trying to achieve?

Surely getting back into the match, away at Arsenal, a better tactic would have been consolidation? protect what we have etc.

Did the subs win us anything today?

The points lost in the last few mins over the past few weeks - times when subs etc typically make a big difference - could and probably will cost us massively not only for this season but if we get relegated for many seasons to come.

Stated this in the match thread and since the word 'potential' has reared it's ugly head again in this thread, i will repeat myself.

Supporters and pundits alike have used the word potential when summarising our team and manager. Gareth Crooks used the euphemism again on the BBC this afternoon.

However are we focusing on the average age of our team and manager when referring to the word 'potential' rather than actually describing the quality available?

In my own opinion i think we have been blinded by the youthfulness of our current setup rather focusing on whats most important.

Is the current team and manager good enough to take us forward?

Sadly, i think not! 

I think we haven't got a good enough squad atm regardless of the manager. I think Lambert is a good manager, and thought his tactics were okay today. Although its all well and good stating that we should've gone more defensive at 1-1 in hindsight, its Lambert's philosophy that we have a go every game. We asked for a manager who promotes positive football, and now we have one we start to complain about results? Our squad is currently just too young and not good enough, that's the problem, not Lambo.

Having said that, the 5 at the back was just stupid on Lambert's part. Honestly, the 5-2-3 was truly an awful formation and I have no idea why we persisted with it for so long. Also freezing out Darren Bent i.e. our main weapon was also baffling. I understand him dropping Darren Bent for Benteke originally, but I didn't expect it to be so sustained, as good as Benteke is, I found it apprehensible that after the WBA game when Bent got the late goal, he didn't start the next game. Finally, I fail to see why Bannan is being left out the side. He hasn't played badly at all and has actually been one of our better players in my opinion.

Edited by Cambridge-AVFC

What were the purpose of his subs? What was he trying to achieve?

Surely getting back into the match, away at Arsenal, a better tactic would have been consolidation? protect what we have etc.

Did the subs win us anything today?

The points lost in the last few mins over the past few weeks - times when subs etc typically make a big difference - could and probably will cost us massively not only for this season but if we get relegated for many seasons to come.

Personally, I don't think the subs had a major effect on the game either way.

You could argue that KEA was brought on to tighten things up for starters. Was there anyone on the bench who could've done much different?

He could have bought on Lichaj or Holman.

I cant understand why, with the position we are in, ( away to Arsenal, knowing we need points desperately ) WTF was Dawkins,Bowery and Marshall even doing in the squad ?

Whats wrong with Ireland,Bannan,Hutton,Warnock,Bent,Given ? any one of these players has more experience and knowledge of what to do in this situation than all 3 of these subs put together.

With Lambert as manager, we have'nt a hope of staying up.

From what I've seen,IMHO, the reason we have lost games at the death this season is because the lads just seem to stop in their tracks and think (defend, defend,defend). They stop playing they were, they stop pushing up in defence and get deeper and deeper and invite the opposition to put as many shot in as they can. More times than not you will let in goals. It is so frustrating. It may not neccessarily be PL's fault, as the players deal with pressure in different ways, but it happens all too often.

From what I've seen,IMHO, the reason we have lost games at the death this season is because the lads just seem to stop in their tracks and think (defend, defend,defend). They stop playing they were, they stop pushing up in defence and get deeper and deeper and invite the opposition to put as many shot in as they can. More times than not you will let in goals. It is so frustrating. It may not neccessarily be PL's fault, as the players deal with pressure in different ways, but it happens all too often.

...Agree And it has happened before he arrived too.

I think Lambert has made many mistakes and i'm not totally convinced by him but this "sitting deep" inviting the opposition has been here before Lambert came in.

Edited by dudevillaisnice

I am simply amazed at the apparent pig headedness of some Villa fans to see what is blindingly obvious re Lambert. He is is just not up to the job.

Again today his substitutions actually hindered us rather than helping in any way. Its not just those things today but also, being able to spot when tactics need changing and then effecting them is the key to a good manager, something that Lambert consistently fails to do. Some may think he is wonderful, a visionary, a fantastic manager in the making (he is surely not a good manager now), but the reality is that his team is now in the bottom 3, his team has suffered defeat consistently this year failing to do the basics like defending from set pieces. His team has thrown away point winning situations with god awful tactics. His team has seen a record defeat. His team has been beaten over two legs by a 4th division side. His team seems to have various morale problems with certain players. His team never seem to have a clue how to defend.

I am sure the instant reply from some will be "but Randy hasn't helped ....." etc and that is a true statement, but Lambert likewise has failed consistently to perform anywhere near the level required of a Premier League manager.

In future years he may well be wonderful, so be it, for AVFC though he is nothing more than awful, a terrible manager who adds nothing at all.

Have said it for a while now!.. It will be lamberks tactics that relegate us not the players!

He could have bought on Lichaj or Holman.

I cant understand why, with the position we are in, ( away to Arsenal, knowing we need points desperately ) WTF was Dawkins,Bowery and Marshall even doing in the squad ?

Whats wrong with Ireland,Bannan,Hutton,Warnock,Bent,Given ? any one of these players has more experience and knowledge of what to do in this situation than all 3 of these subs put together.

With Lambert as manager, we have'nt a hope of staying up.

is this serious? He was wrong to put a goalkeeper on the bench? Just imagine the stick he would have got had he not put a goalie on the bench.

Bent and given injured, Hutton and warnock 95% of fans wanted out and rightly so, Bannan has been awful in games this season and again fans wanted out and Ireland's attitude is debatable. Do those players suddenly become world beaters because they aren't playing?

Some fans like lambert and rate him as a top manager who will do well for us

Some fans don't and want him out regardless

I hold the first opinion butI appreciate that some may have a different opinion that's fine I can see why that may be the case. However what I can't understand is why those who hold the second opinion get frustrated and seem more interested and concerned that people don't want the manager out. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind on the manager, only he can do that although for most I doubt he will. And I'm not having a go at anyone who is slagging him off, that's upto them. I will debate the point but I'm not throwing digs around, can't understand why any villa fan would to be honest

His biggest two mistakes has been buying Vlaar and expecting him to see through the season and then not spending the little cash he had in January on a central defender.

i think defence needed strengthening absolutely , but so did central or defensive midfield . When you need important positions filled and jack all money to play with it must be virtually impossible to make the right choice. Vlaar was a really decent acquisition at the time

...Agree And it has happened before he arrived too.

I think Lambert has made many mistakes and i'm not totally convinced by him but this "sitting deep" inviting the opposition has been here before Lambert came in.

This is right. Me and my mate were saying exactly the same yesterday. We stopped pressing higher and were hoofing the ball out from the back and they just got it back and came at us again. We needed our defensive players to show composure and pass the ball around like they did in the first half but they didn't. It seems that the closer they get to the final whistle, the more they are content to try and just defend for their lives. Trouble is, it never works and we know it, our opponents know it, in fact, everyone seems to know it except the players!!

I have to agree with the changes and line up we put out yesterday! The point made earlier about us sitting too far back to protect a draw is bang on so the idea of bringing Dawkins on to give us an outlet because our attacking players were tired makes perfect sense. He has got a few things wrong admittadly but given the amount of rubbish on 50000 a week plus on our squad list is limiting his resources. Just praying we can somehow manage 9 points from reading qpr and Wigan and nick a couple of points here and there!

Some fans like lambert and rate him as a top manager who will do well for us

Some fans don't and want him out regardless

I hold the first opinion butI appreciate that some may have a different opinion that's fine I can see why that may be the case. However what I can't understand is why those who hold the second opinion get frustrated and seem more interested and concerned that people don't want the manager out. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind on the manager, only he can do that although for most I doubt he will. And I'm not having a go at anyone who is slagging him off, that's upto them. I will debate the point but I'm not throwing digs around, can't understand why any villa fan would to be honest

Honestly?.. So if McDuff was still here and he had brought in this crop of players using this ghey tactics system and we were in the bottom 3. 

You would still say... " I'm not having a go at anyone who is slagging him off, that's upto them, I will debate the point but I'm not throwing digs around, can't understand why any villa fan would to be honest"  

Comedy Gold that pal, Quality!

Difference is I wouldn't actually be saying that about Mcduff , different manager, different opinion. But I don't recall having a go personally or throwing digs at anyone that did support Mcduff at the time he was here, that was upto them.