Paul Lambert

Pilchard

What a word removed. I worked out that we've lost 7 points in the last 10 minutes of games in 2013 alone.

Such a dreadful manager. I really fear for us if he's still here next season when we're in the Championship.

Edited by Mantis

Unsure on today but his decision making earlier in the season has cost us to the point where we need to be winning away at Arsenal now or at least picking up a point.

We are in absolute dire trouble and another slip in one of those so called 'winnable' games and we are down.

Unlucky today, we went all out to score goals and give ourselves a chance which we did and nearly got a result. 

such brilliant hind-sight managers in this thread as usual

Edited by Bunnski
  • Like 3

Unlucky today, we went all out to score goals and give ourselves a chance which we did and nearly got a result. 

such brilliant hind-sight managers in this thread as usual

You're right, hind-sight is a great thing but there's no disputing that Lamberk has the ability to turn a game with his substitutions - unerringly in favour of the opposition. 

I predict that he's the manager that will take us down and be the VP equivalent of Coyle.  He's already presided over our worst ever league defeat (Chelsea) and the humiliation of Bradford (our worst ever cup defeat).

I'll move away from hind-sight and give you a prediction.......... after getting into a great position to get a draw at Arse and being undone by yet another inept substitution his mumbling comments will be "we pick ourselves up and go again!" clearing in the woods 

The club will not die it will have to look for another way BUT at least the club is trying something different.

Are we trying a different approach to build success or are we just keeping costs down with the aim of just surviving?

I'm not sure there's really a clear picture of what we are about as a club right now.

I can understand that we needed to cut our spending BUT we are cutting too drasticlly.Ok so we can't afford to be a top 6 club and qualify for europe but we are not spending enough to be a mid table club either.Our level of spending and the players we are buying is that of a championship club ( not one at the top end either ) so, with that level of spending we can not hope to stay in the Premier League.Simple question, how can we stay in the Premier League with players that are not up to Premier League skill ?

The Premier League has a reputation for bieng the most skillful league in europe and the hardest league in europe,it is the league that most players want to play in.......so what are we trying to do ???,answer......fill it with players from lower leagues.FFS.The rest of the teams in the Premier League will be glad to see us go down as we are lowering the skill and reputation of the Premier League.

What exactly do you expect us to achieve by cutting spending ? (thats not a dig - just a question), there aren't many other clubs reigning in the spending as much as Aston Villa ?

If you are concerned about the overall balance sheets of the club , well £70m sky money next season - would boost the balance sheet more considerably than any adjustment made in player salaries  - if fact that £70m would more than cover our entire wage bill

• Like 1

Cutting wages etc does not though make you a bad manager. Awful tactics, shit substitutions, inability for your team to even compete against 4th division sides, managing your team to record defeats, conceding goals time after time in the last few minutes and from set pieces etc etc make you a bad manager, and Lambert certainly fits that criteria very well

He is the Gideon Osborne of football management, clueless, inept and deserving of the sack

He is the Gideon Osborne of football management, clueless, inept and deserving of the sack

Your assessment of Lambert may well be true.

With only QPR (who are nailed on for relegation) having won less and scored fewer and nobody having let in more or having a worse goal difference then Lambert is way up there on the list of the poorest managers ever to be employed by AVFC.

Cutting wages etc does not though make you a bad manager. Awful tactics, shit substitutions, inability for your team to even compete against 4th division sides, managing your team to record defeats, conceding goals time after time in the last few minutes and from set pieces etc etc make you a bad manager, and Lambert certainly fits that criteria very well

Please let's not bring **** politics into this.

Agree with the first paragraph though. He has all the features of a bad manager.

Edited by Mantis

:D He has been poor Ian but come on he isn't in Gideons league when it comes to ineptness. He also hasn't put us in the position we are because he is a vindictive c'unt!

I was brought up on Villa in the late 70's & Early 80's... Ever since i was spoiled rotten by witnessing the greatest ever achievement in the clubs history i have been waiting to see us get close to a good team again.... We have never done it in my opinion. I do like comparing our present sides to the European Champions of 82' but player for player we never really get close. As for the MON side...erm Nope!.. Nowhere near in my opinion!

The current side has lots of potential to me though. They just lack Arial ability at the back, experience and grit in midfield, pace on the wings & the full backs are weak. LB's are weak defensively & Rb is weak attacking wise+ lacks decent cover. The CB's are poor in the air in my opinion & lightweight although Vlaar is huge of course. Also the CB's pose little to no threat in an attacking sense. All good sides get 4 or 5 goals from the CB's per season.

You could have said:

'The current side has lots of potential but they are shit in the air at the back, they are shit in terms of experience and grit in midfield, they are shit when it comes to pace on the wings and the fullbacks are shit'.

In other words they are shit but have the potential to be less shit.

:D

I was brought up on Villa in the late 70's & Early 80's... Ever since i was spoiled rotten by witnessing the greatest ever achievement in the clubs history i have been waiting to see us get close to a good team again.... We have never done it in my opinion. I do like comparing our present sides to the European Champions of 82' but player for player we never really get close. As for the MON side...erm Nope!.. Nowhere near in my opinion!

The current side has lots of potential to me though. They just lack Arial ability at the back, experience and grit in midfield, pace on the wings & the full backs are weak. LB's are weak defensively & Rb is weak attacking wise+ lacks decent cover. The CB's are poor in the air in my opinion & lightweight although Vlaar is huge of course. Also the CB's pose little to no threat in an attacking sense. All good sides get 4 or 5 goals from the CB's per season.

I do like Weimann, he reminds me of Gary Shaw.

Benteke reminds me of Peter Withe just with less nous but that will come.. Best we have had since Withe in my opinion.

Should break the bank to try to keep him.

Westwood reminds me of a young & very inexperienced Dennis Mortimer & he needs to add goals to his game.

Vlaar is ok

Baker i like a lot.. reminds me of a young Martin Laursen but his inexperience does cost occasionally.. that again will improve

though. Again he needs to become an attacking threat too.

Clark? Well can't quite see it with him. Seems too weak for CB & i see him more as a Midfielder.. He's decent but just where do you fit him?

Bannan?.. No

Guzan? Not bad.. seen better though.

Lowton? Awful in an attacking sense & otherwise average but should improve.

LB's? No

Nzogbia? Lacks pace

Gabby? Lost his edge

Albrighton? Too slow & very inconsistent.

Thats my opinion of the current lot.

lots to agree with there. I disagree on lowton though. Decent player IMO who has shown this this season and will get better

I am simply amazed at the apparent pig headedness of some Villa fans to see what is blindingly obvious re Lambert. He is is just not up to the job.

Again today his substitutions actually hindered us rather than helping in any way. Its not just those things today but also, being able to spot when tactics need changing and then effecting them is the key to a good manager, something that Lambert consistently fails to do. Some may think he is wonderful, a visionary, a fantastic manager in the making (he is surely not a good manager now), but the reality is that his team is now in the bottom 3, his team has suffered defeat consistently this year failing to do the basics like defending from set pieces. His team has thrown away point winning situations with god awful tactics. His team has seen a record defeat. His team has been beaten over two legs by a 4th division side. His team seems to have various morale problems with certain players. His team never seem to have a clue how to defend.

I am sure the instant reply from some will be "but Randy hasn't helped ....." etc and that is a true statement, but Lambert likewise has failed consistently to perform anywhere near the level required of a Premier League manager.

In future years he may well be wonderful, so be it, for AVFC though he is nothing more than awful, a terrible manager who adds nothing at all.

• Like 3