Paul Lambert

Pilchard

You recon Swansea are paying massive wages? I recon we would be paying more. 

I reckon Michu, having just signed a new contract today is on more than anyone we signed in the Summer and more than we currently are able/willing to offer

Swansea are completely different though... they've had years of progression and developing a way of playing.  Players who are very comfortable on the ball will walk straight into their team. Can you imagine Leon Britton playing in this Villa team? Bannan get's a lot of stick but Britton would get more, yet he's a key player for Swansea. Villa need stability and to develop a way of playing in the same way Swansea have. Unfortunately developing is easier when you have nothing to lose and you're a few divisions below. Such a project in the Premier League would almost certainly lead to relegation at some point. 

They are. But, do you believe that Lambert spent his summer funds wisely? Would it not have been better for us to have signed a winger like Hernandez and a creative midfielder like de Guzman over adding a 3rd RB and LB to our squad? We have no decent supply to our strikers, which is one of the reasons why Bent and Benteke can't play in the same team together.

Edited by jacketspuds

I reckon Michu, having just signed a new contract today is on more than anyone we signed in the Summer and more than we currently are able/willing to offer

But he wouldn't have demanded a transfer if they didn't offer him a new deal 6 months after signing for them. He probably deserves a new contract for being an excellent signing and just wants parity with the other better players in the squad.

He might be on more than we offer now but we shouldn't not sign players because they may ask for a pay rise if they actually perform well for us.

I think one of his biggest problems is his ability to identify good signings. Benteke and Vlaar aside I'm not massively impressed with our summer dealings. Compare it to our Semi-Final counterparts Swansea and it makes for interesting reading.

Villa IN - Bennett (£3m), Lowton (£3.5m), Westwood (£2m), Vlaar (£3.4m), KEA (£3m), Benteke (£7m), Bowery (£0.5m), Holman (Free) - TOTAL £23.4m 

Swansea IN - Michu (£2m), Chico (£2.2m), de Guzman (Loan), Bartley (£1.5m), Ki (£6m), Hernandez (£5.8m), Tiendalli (Free), Schecter (Loan) - TOTAL £17.5m

There was no need to sign FB's when we already had 2 RB's and 2 LB's at the club. Players like Hernandez and de Guzman would create much more chances than we are managing at the moment.

I'm not saying it's as simple as the above but personally I think Lambert is not very good in the transfer market. 

Holman wasn't a Lambert signing

Guzan was

Bowery was bought for the future and for peanuts

Westwood, Vlaar, Benteke and Lowton would all command what we paid and look good VFM and have been arguably our best players

Bennett and KEA have struggled so far - whether that is because they are bad buys or because they have come into a struggling side is too early to say. Bennett in particular is short of confidence and I hope will come good

Warnock and Hutton are up for sale and were on their way out before Lambert joined - thats why he bought LB and RB

Michu looks to be bargain of the decade but I'm not blaming Lambert for not identifying him. I doubt we could currently afford Ki or Hernandez wages and probably not Michu's either.

As always with these things hindsight is 20:20 vision.

Edited by VillaCas

Been watching Dortmund since i moved here in 87', i remember seeing Lambert play, he was ok, but didn't settle and was described as distant and moody by fellow players, mmm, that hasn't changed.

MOTM marking Zidane in the CL final. Had a good season but wanted to come back to Scotland, He's thought of highly there

MOTM marking Zidane in the CL final. Had a good season but wanted to come back to Scotland, He's thought of highly there

If you read carefully what i wrote, 'he didn't settle', that translates into 'wanted to go back to Scotland', they remember him for the final yes, but he is no hero, 

There are a lot of sticks to beat Lambert with, but Vlaar, Benteke, Lowton, and Westwood for 15 million seems like a good bit of business to me.

The problem is we need a big time player in the middle of the park, and that player costs a lot in terms of wages.

Lets face facts, there isnt going to be a new signing, and there will be a mass exodus when/if we go down, think of that

Dont think the following would stick around: Bentekke, Bent, Ireland, Vlaar, NZogbia, Holman, Given, and Dunne.

You may say, ok that would reduce the wage bill, but look at the clubs who have disappeared into obscurity when relegated, Lambert is playing a dangerous game and risks losing attendances,fans and the club. Stick to NFL Randy.

The only thing I blame Lambert for is the poor defending. His GF/GA record at Norwich shows that he's never been a defensive type manager, and his teams will let loads in. But they usually score a decent amount and pick up points.

Holman wasn't a Lambert signing

Guzan was

Bowery was bought for the future and for peanuts

Westwood, Vlaar, Benteke and Lowton would all command what we paid and look good VFM and have been arguably our best players

Bennett and KEA have struggled so far - whether that is because they are bad buys or because they have come into a struggling side is too early to say. Bennett in particular is short of confidence and I hope will come good

Warnock and Hutton are up for sale and were on their way out before Lambert joined - thats why he bought LB and RB

Michu looks to be bargain of the decade but I'm not blaming Lambert for not identifying him. I doubt we could currently afford Ki or Hernandez wages and probably not Michu's either.

As always with these things hindsight is 20:20 vision.

But do you think we needed a 3rd RB and LB in the squad? Really? I'm not just talking about signing Michu, instead I'm saying look at how far Swansea stretched their transfer budget. You're also guessing on the wages bit so it's all a matter of opinion on this point. I'm sure Westwood and Lowton will prove to be good signings in the future and, as I said, Vlaar and Benteke are good signings. However, I don't think we should have spunked £6.5m on fullbacks and then have no money to bring in a DM. Especially if there is no money left now for players in Jan.

You are right with your hindsight comment though. Still doesn't change the fact that I don't think Lambert spent his limited budget well. No loans? People go on about our thin squad but we spunked 1/3 of our budget on fullbacks when we already had 4 in the squad. Bizarre.

But do you think we needed a 3rd RB and LB in the squad? Really? I'm not just talking about signing Michu, instead I'm saying look at how far Swansea stretched their transfer budget. You're also guessing on the wages bit so it's all a matter of opinion on this point. I'm sure Westwood and Lowton will prove to be good signings in the future and, as I said, Vlaar and Benteke are good signings. However, I don't think we should have spunked £6.5m on fullbacks and then have no money to bring in a DM. Especially if there is no money left now for players in Jan.

You are right with your hindsight comment though. Still doesn't change the fact that I don't think Lambert spent his limited budget well. No loans? People go on about our thin squad but we spunked 1/3 of our budget on fullbacks when we already had 4 in the squad. Bizarre.

I think the club has said that we will not pay the wages of other clubs players anymore hence no loans. 

As villacas said Westwood, Vlaar, Benteke and Lowton have arguably been our best players. We needed a RB for definite, A LB as nothing we had was any good. KEA was getting rave reviews by the media at the start of the season but has gone off the boil.