Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Oh we should criticize alright, but aim it at the right person.

IF RL can change his mind then we should help his do this.

We have shown in the past he can listen to the crowd, signing PL is evidence of this, It is about time we backed the manager and aimed our displeasure at the people who deserve it.

I for 1 am fed up with these players on mega money who do not earn it or work for the club and even more fed up with an owner happy to see the manager take the blame,

RL should have the balls to come out and explain the reasons and take the heat off PL.

This will never happen though as he will get flown in, show his face and leg it leaving others to pick up the pieces and sort out the mess, could be guided by an American General,

Never in my 45 years following the Villa have i felt so let down.

Lambert's tactics have been found wanting rather a lot of times.

That's been a surprise for me.

I am worried that he hasn't had to cope with a relegation struggle as far as I can see, apart from Livingston right at the start of his career. That didn't go so well.

£17m - Hutton £4m (resale value nil), Zog £9.5m (resale value £3m?), Given £3.5m (resale value nil)

So he had less to spend than Lambert?

If Lambert keeping us up is some kind of triumph then McLeish doing the same with less money must be an achievement as well.

In reality however Lambert's spell here has been massively disappointing so far. Being soundly beaten by a side assembled for £7500 is embarrassing but we have had so many embarrassing moments this season you start to just get jaded by it.

So he had less to spend than Lambert?

If Lambert keeping us up is some kind of triumph then McLeish doing the same with less money must be an achievement as well.

In reality however Lambert's spell here has been massively disappointing so far. Being soundly beaten by a side assembled for £7500 is embarrassing but we have had so many embarrassing moments this season you start to just get jaded by it.

He took over a pile of shite and has been given peanuts to sort it out - point your criticism at the right target and get behind your manager

He took over a pile of shite and has been given peanuts to sort it out - point your criticism at the right target and get behind your manager

Well you could say the same thing about the last manager couldn't you.

Last season it was all the managers fault but this season it is all the owners fault apparently...

Lambert's tactics have been found wanting rather a lot of times.

That's been a surprise for me.

I am worried that he hasn't had to cope with a relegation struggle as far as I can see, apart from Livingston right at the start of his career. That didn't go so well.

I agree with this, he seems to have no tactical nouse for defending.

Well you could say the same thing about the last manager couldn't you.

Last season it was all the managers fault but this season it is all the owners fault apparently...

I don't buy this personally. Many of us have been extremely critical of Lerner over the last few years before McLeish got here. It was an absolutely catastrophic appointment in getting McLeish, we had seen enough of his managerial past and didn't want him polluting his horrific tactics and defeatist/negative philosophy on our squad and particularly the development of a few promising kids we had. McLeish got a rough ride not because we were losing but it was the manner of the defeats, particularly the Spurs game away and the Man.City/Utd games at home where we went into the games looking to lose but keep the score down as low as possible. It was utterly soul destroying and we saw no future with him at the helm, he had no long term plan.

Yes, of course results-wise Lambert is doing poorly, worse so. The bashings at Christmas have been humiliating and of course they wouldn't have happened under McLeish because we would have just lost the games by playing a purely defensive set up and keeping those scores down as low as possible. Some of us see a brighter future with Lambert though, we can see that he is a bright manager with a modern philosophy that some of us feel comfortable with and can hold on to. Others don't see that and that's absolutely fine, you have perfectly valid opinions and by looking at stats it's difficult to argue. From a personal view, I've seen small glimpses this season that suggest to me that Lambert can get things right here. I just fear the board won't work with him to achieve his goals.

• Like 1

If hairy hands is right and I've got every reason to believe that he is, Randy is off his rocker.

Surely a £50m investment now (players and wages) which he then took back out over the club over the next 3 seasons plus interest, is a better idea than a relegation and parachute payments when you factor in the PL TV money going up dramatically next season.

**** financial fair play. Europe ain't happening anytime soon anyway. Let's Stay in the division first.

If hairy hands is right and I've got every reason to believe that he is, Randy is off his rocker.

Surely a £50m investment now (players and wages) which he then took back out over the club over the next 3 seasons plus interest, is a better idea than a relegation and parachute payments when you factor in the PL TV money going up dramatically next season.

**** financial fair play. Europe ain't happening anytime soon anyway. Let's Stay in the division first.

You can say that again :D

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1

What's to say hairyhands is right though? I've heard various alleged ITKs so far this window claim that Lambert will have both lots and hardly any money to spend. It's always silly season when January rolls round. Not saying hairyhands is lying or anything but you have to take things with a pinch of salt.

What's to say hairyhands is right though? I've heard various alleged ITKs so far this window claim that Lambert will have both lots and hardly any money to spend. It's always silly season when January rolls round. Not saying hairyhands is lying or anything but you have to take things with a pinch of salt.

If Trent says it's kosher.... I'm happy to go on faith.

So to summise the last few pages I thought it may be worth trying to solve Villa's plight with Mathematics.. So here's how i got on:

Firstly we needed to find the common denominator:

..SQUAD DECIMATED .....SQUAD DECIMATED.....SQUAD DECIMATED

Mon walks --/--Houllier episode--/--Mcleish episode--/--Lambert episode

Randy Lerner

Enough said?

At the end of the day you can all believe whatever you want.

You can believe that Lambert is a useless manager if you want, you can believe that he signed a load of cheap kids in the summer because (insert whatever theory you want), you can believe he is blind to what we need in January if you want and that he has done knob all about getting players in. These all seem like quite common views reading various threads.

Or you can believe that Lambert is a good manager, a manager who did his best in the summer with the resources available to him and with the players from his targets that the board secured for him. That knows exactly what we need this window and has already identified those players but doesn't have the financial backing to make them happen.

Believe what you wish to believe.

I know which I believe and where I believe the blame lies for the problems that we have and have had for almost 3 years now far longer than Lambert has been around. There is a reason our fans sang his name away at Norwich last season and that reason is he has proven himself to be a good manager and what is happening here shouldn't change peoples view of that. Not in my book.

That isn't to say he hasn't made mistakes in selections, in tactics or any other area of the job all managers make errors but he isn't a bad manager and neither is he the real problem here.

People can agree with me, disagree with I don't much care I'm tired of trying to convince people we couldn't go signing X or Y in the summer and tired of saying we aren't going to pay £10m for Lescott. You don't have to be ITK to work that out it is just common sense based on everything that has happened to/at this club in recent years.

I've been critical of Lambert at times and I will be in future no doubt but right now I wouldn't swap him for anyone else because given what he inherited, what he is working with in terms of the players and the restraints I believe he is under it is amazing we aren't already in the bottom three.

As for me being able to vouch for Hairyhands, yes I can.

THIS.

At the end of the day you can all believe whatever you want.

You can believe that Lambert is a useless manager if you want, you can believe that he signed a load of cheap kids in the summer because (insert whatever theory you want), you can believe he is blind to what we need in January if you want and that he has done knob all about getting players in. These all seem like quite common views reading various threads.

Or you can believe that Lambert is a good manager, a manager who did his best in the summer with the resources available to him and with the players from his targets that the board secured for him. That knows exactly what we need this window and has already identified those players but doesn't have the financial backing to make them happen.

Believe what you wish to believe.

I know which I believe and where I believe the blame lies for the problems that we have and have had for almost 3 years now far longer than Lambert has been around. There is a reason our fans sang his name away at Norwich last season and that reason is he has proven himself to be a good manager and what is happening here shouldn't change peoples view of that. Not in my book.

That isn't to say he hasn't made mistakes in selections, in tactics or any other area of the job all managers make errors but he isn't a bad manager and neither is he the real problem here.

People can agree with me, disagree with I don't much care I'm tired of trying to convince people we couldn't go signing X or Y in the summer and tired of saying we aren't going to pay £10m for Lescott. You don't have to be ITK to work that out it is just common sense based on everything that has happened to/at this club in recent years.

I've been critical of Lambert at times and I will be in future no doubt but right now I wouldn't swap him for anyone else because given what he inherited, what he is working with in terms of the players and the restraints I believe he is under it is amazing we aren't already in the bottom three.

As for me being able to vouch for Hairyhands, yes I can.

THIS.

How can Lerner have no cash? He sold that shit NFL team and I thought someone said he'd just come 'into' another $100 million or so. Couple that with what he's pocketed from the recent sales and you're are telling me we can't 'afford' a £5 million player?

Well, carry right on Lerner you tit because we are on the verge of becoming Leeds United part 2, minus the Champions League exploits. We got the right manager, as Lambert is slowly morphing into O'Dreary, rattling on about his 'young team' week-in-week-out.

If Lambert's hands are tied regarding transfers, then I have no sympathy for him as he should have known that when he accepted the job. He has also wasted money on buying these children for his long-term project. I fully expect him to come out of the tunnel one of these days wearing a pleated dress, twirling an umbrella while the players skip along behind playing flutes.

I care about here and now. What happens 3-4 years down the line is elementary because with the way Platini is going, so much would have changed anyway. This is the poorest Premiership for years, so many turgid teams floating around but it's better than being in The Championship, which is where we are hurtling towards unless Lambert sorts 'his' team out.