Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I'm at a loss to understand the apparent view of some people, that if there was money available (let's say there was for the sake of argument), then Lambert should have managed to bring in more people who would have been good, should have taken a punt on someone who as it turns out has done well but several experienced managers turned down at the time, and so on.

Don't we all know that people have imperfect knowledge, that several parties have to agree a transfer, that there's a limited number of things you can actually achieve in a given time, and so on? It's just not possible to make everything happen that you might have wanted.

But then I don't play Football Manager. Perhaps that's where my understanding breaks down.

Read online from a few different sources that Lambert has the next two matches to get a win or he will be sacked. Personally, I think it'd be stupid to fire lambert right now. Let him get in some transfers then if it doesnt work out, you can fire him. Hiring a new manager in the transfer window would be so hectic.

Read online from a few different sources that Lambert has the next two matches to get a win or he will be sacked. Personally, I think it'd be stupid to fire lambert right now. Let him get in some transfers then if it doesnt work out, you can fire him. Hiring a new manager in the transfer window would be so hectic.

Unless the sources are www.randylerner.com or www.paulfaulkner.co.uk then I wouldn't read to much into it.

Edited by pacbuddies

What facts? Show me where it categorically states that we didn't have more money available? How do you know we don't have more than 10m to spend on one player when we've already spent 7m on Benteke?

Ok, so I don't expect you to simply take my word for it. Wait until the end of the window. The players will be from abroad. They won't be mega expensive but probably still very good footballers. A defender is the priority. So is a physical midfield player. If anyone was to arrive from England, they would probably be as part of a swap deal. I still think the squad will be much stronger in a month's time but there won't be big money. Maybe, at a push, they'll go a bit further to get someone but doubt it. That's the owner's decision.

Yip, haven't been on long so maybe you'll just have to wait until the end of Jan to discover if I'm right or wrong! But it won't be the latter.

Ok, so I don't expect you to simply take my word for it. Wait until the end of the window. The players will be from abroad. They won't be mega expensive but probably still very good footballers. A defender is the priority. So is a physical midfield player. If anyone was to arrive from England, they would probably be as part of a swap deal. I still think the squad will be much stronger in a month's time but there won't be big money. Maybe, at a push, they'll go a bit further to get someone but doubt it. That's the owner's decision.

Yip, haven't been on long so maybe you'll just have to wait until the end of Jan to discover if I'm right or wrong! But it won't be the latter.

Hairyhands i can say that I believe you, the fact is that the club has already said that the club has its hands tied for this season until the wages are reduced so you are only stating what has been said, things may change though if we manage to get rid of certain players in the window speeding up the wage reduction issue.

All sounds plausible to me.

I know there's been a couple of posters in the past who have kept hinting at special knowledge, starting off by sharing a couple of insights and then getting into teasing and game-playing, so maybe that accounts for a bit of wariness about posts which suggest a little bit of inside contact.

It would be completely insane to get rid of him, and I don't believe it for a moment.

I expect it's just another idiot journo making things up, and the rest restating it without any effort to check, in the usual moronic way. They don't follow even the most basic principles of journalism, many of them. Complete waste of space.

Why are we always looking for people ITK, the only people who know aint gonna tell anybody, just because someone knows a player and he makes a comment does not make it fact, a player may be asked an opinion on someone he has played with or against but it does not mean he will be signed, there are many people out there payed to get tips and scoops for a living and we all know how accurate they are, anybody can analise a club and make educated guesses and probably get 80% right, it dont make them ITK though.

Why are we always looking for people ITK, the only people who know aint gonna tell anybody, just because someone knows a player and he makes a comment does not make it fact, a player may be asked an opinion on someone he has played with or against but it does not mean he will be signed, there are many people out there payed to get tips and scoops for a living and we all know how accurate they are, anybody can analise a club and make educated guesses and probably get 80% right, it dont make them ITK though.

I agree. I suspect there are only a very few people at AVFC who actually know anything for certain regarding transfers and managerial appointments etc. and they are hardly likely to register with a fans forum (unless their name is General Krulak) and start dropping hints and claiming this, that and the other.

I will wait until deals/appointments are done and dusted rather than jizz in my pants over what someone on here states.

Everton's record in the Premier League since it was formed:

Home Away

Season P W D L GF GA W D L GF GA GD Pts Pos

1992-93 42 7 6 8 26 27 8 2 11 27 28 -2 53 13th

1993-94 42 8 4 9 26 30 4 4 13 16 33 -21 44 17th

1994-95 42 8 9 4 31 23 3 8 10 13 28 -7 50 15th

1995-96 38 10 5 4 35 19 7 5 7 29 25 +20 61 6th

1996-97 38 7 4 8 24 22 3 8 8 20 35 -13 42 15th

1997-98 38 7 5 7 25 27 2 8 9 16 29 -15 40 17th

1998-99 38 6 8 5 22 12 5 2 12 20 35 -7 43 14th

1999-2k 38 7 9 3 36 19 5 5 9 23 28 +12 50 13th

2000-01 38 6 8 5 29 27 5 1 13 16 32 -14 42 16th

2001-02 38 8 4 7 26 23 3 6 10 19 34 -12 43 15th

2002-03 38 11 5 3 28 19 6 3 10 20 30 -1 59 7th

2003-04 38 8 5 6 27 20 1 7 11 18 37 -12 39 17th

2004-05 38 12 2 5 24 15 6 5 8 21 31 -1 61 4th

2005-06 38 8 4 7 22 22 6 4 9 12 27 -15 50 11th

2006-07 38 11 4 4 33 17 4 9 6 19 19 +16 58 6th

2007-08 38 11 4 4 34 17 8 4 7 21 16 +22 65 5th

2008-09 38 8 6 5 31 20 9 6 4 24 17 +18 63 5th

2009-10 38 11 6 2 35 21 5 7 7 25 28 +11 61 8th

2010-11 38 9 7 3 31 23 4 8 7 20 22 +6 54 7th

2011-12 38 10 3 6 28 15 5 8 6 22 25 +10 56 7th

They have had a couple of weak years but I don't think Everton have consistently struggled like we have (forgive the formatting).

They've been fairly consistent over the last few years, but looking at their record since 1992 they've largely been as bad as us, if not worse!

The manager seems to think he has money and the ability to attract EXPERIENCED players. At least according to the express and star.

I can't link at the minute as I'm on my phone and its more hassle than I can bare. Would someone mind going the honours?

They've been fairly consistent over the last few years, but looking at their record since 1992 they've largely been as bad as us, if not worse!

I may be wrong but I think someone was comparing us with Everton under Moyes. If that is the case then only look at the stats from 2002/2003 season onwards (he didn't take up the appointment until March 2002 so please forgive me for writing that season out of the equation). From 2002/2003, apart from one season, they haven't been in the same mess as us so they are in fact doing a fair bit better in the league.

I may be wrong but I think someone was comparing us with Everton under Moyes. If that is the case then only look at the stats from 2002/2003 season onwards (he didn't take up the appointment until March 2002 so please forgive me for writing that season out of the equation). From 2002/2003, apart from one season, they haven't been in the same mess as us so they are in fact doing a fair bit better in the league.

Apart from one season you say?

Well how about 19 games?

I'm not defending Lambert here. He has made his mistakes and I expect he will take it like a man and I hope he learns from it and improves. Until that happens either way, all bets are off.

The Moyes comparison isn't really worth discussing at all except to say it could and has happened before that a young manager has learned from his errors and taken the lumps and gone on to be a relative success.

In other words, time please gentleman. It's all we have.

Go on Paul Lambert, prove 'em wrong.

So we're after a defender and physical midfielder!? Wow! That's so ITK! (at least it would be if it wasn't so glaringly obvious).

If they're from England then they will "probably" be part of a swap deal! So, basically, they either will be part of a swap, or won't. Blimey...more great insight.

The squad will be stronger - well of course it will as we'll be spending money on it.

They might or might not go a bit further to get someone. Once again, amazing insight.

Got any more amazing ITK snippets?

Apart from one season you say?

Well how about 19 games?

I'm not defending Lambert here. He has made his mistakes and I expect he will take it like a man and I hope he learns from it and improves. Until that happens either way, all bets are off.

The Moyes comparison isn't really worth discussing at all except to say it could and has happened before that a young manager has learned from his errors and taken the lumps and gone on to be a relative success.

In other words, time please gentleman. It's all we have.

Go on Paul Lambert, prove 'em wrong.

Not sure what you are getting at with your '19 games' statement.

The comparison, which was made in response to an earlier post, was between Villa under various managers and Everton under Moyes since 2002/2003.

It was intended to show that Everton haven't been involved in relegation battles (plural) over the last few years as someone seemed to suggest they have.