Paul Lambert

Pilchard

not lambert's fault tonight, the players shat it big time, not helped by small crowd and reading shitting bricks too. if we'd have played as we did against man u and arsenal we'd have battered them. as it was it showed how at this level the difference between 3 and no points can be purely mental and nothing to do with talent or hard work. hopefully the win can help us when we play QPR, it's all experience for the lads.

we were massively under par and we won, which is a good sign, another few days of work now on the training ground and the PL project continues.

Lambert cannot win can he? Play like Barcelona and lose he would have been shafted for not winning, as the points are what is important. Win and gets shafted for performance being shit when in actual fact it wasn't bad all things considered. 3 points and a clean sheet with what was a very very young defence and in a tense nervous atmosphere which was not conducive to free flowing football. More of them please

Er...clearly he can win.

Just get the team playing some attractive football and picking up points. We haven't done much of either of those things this season.

At least we got one of them tonight, even if though performance was dire.

Lambert cannot win can he? Play like Barcelona and lose he would have been shafted for not winning, as the points are what is important. Win and gets shafted for performance being shit when in actual fact it wasn't bad all things considered. 3 points and a clean sheet with what was a very very young defence and in a tense nervous atmosphere which was not conducive to free flowing football. More of them please

tense and nervous is right. very very happy to see clark and baker as a pair come out with a clean sheet, we have to bear in mind as well that we were forced into subbing a natural left back for lichaj making do in that position too and we still came outof it with a clean sheet. we sre going to need to be more composed though, even older heads (ireland) were giving the ball away when we really needed to keep calm after going 1-0 up. let's hope southampton get a draw at best and then the psychological aspect of being in the bottom 3 isn't a factor after tonight.

I don't see why you can't comment on the performance without getting labelled a moaner.

The points were brilliant, it's a fantastic result but that performance does nothing to ease my fear of going down.

to be honest i don't think that's why you would be labelled a moaner, the 500 posts before that may contribute.

they were nervous, the crowd was nervous, reading were nervous. we won. hopefully that will help with the nerves next time.

to be honest i don't think that's why you would be labelled a moaner, the 500 posts before that may contribute.

they were nervous, the crowd was nervous, reading were nervous. we won. hopefully that will help with the nerves next time.

Yes and clearly over the last 2 years there's been nothing for me or others to moan about.

Hopefully that win will ease the nerves because we need to play better in the next two games. I don't think qpr or reading will be as poor as reading.

- Team performs well and loses

- Fans predict the good performances will eventually lead to a win

- Team wins, certain fans moan at lack of a decent 'performance'

... and repeat. The Aston Villa Paradox.

You could as easilly use the exact same argument against those who claim to see no faults.

We lost but played well, the performance is whats important

We win but play awful, it's the points that count...

Don't make it out so that it's only those who are negative/worried that see things a bit too black or white

While it certainly was not the best Villa performance I have seen in my lifetime, it surely was not as diabolical as some people want to make it seem. I mean did you fall asleep through all of last season, that was diabolical. We played with a defense whose average age was just over 20, have midfielders/strikers still getting seasoned and were playing in a very hostile home environment against a team who could not afford to lose. 3 points is all that matters tonite. Job done!

• Like 1

You could as easilly use the exact same argument against those who claim to see no faults.

We lost but played well, the performance is whats important

We win but play awful, it's the points that count...

Don't make it out so that it's only those who are negative/worried that see things a bit too black or white

My assessment wasn't one of these 'moaners' attitudes (whoever they may be, I don't frequent this part of the site enough to know thankfully), as I don't imagine anyone negative would praise the team after a loss. I certainly wouldn't say a good performance and a loss is a good thing because at the end of the day this is a results business, maybe it does show signs of promise at a certain level though.

However, what I saw today was some good spells of passing - certainly in the first five minutes and a lack of cutting edge. We kept a clean sheet, so the bottom line is that the defence did okay. Clark looked a bit shaky in the air at times, but then again Roberts is a handful and Clark is still learning.

What I do miss though is winning - and Lambert made the substitution and we won. So good on him.

My assessment wasn't one of these 'moaners' attitudes (whoever they may be, I don't frequent this part of the site enough to know thankfully), as I don't imagine anyone negative would praise the team after a loss. I certainly wouldn't say a good performance and a loss is a good thing because at the end of the day this is a results business, maybe it does show signs of promise at a certain level though.

However, what I saw today was some good spells of passing - certainly in the first five minutes and a lack of cutting edge. We kept a clean sheet, so the bottom line is that the defence did okay. Clark looked a bit shaky in the air at times, but then again Roberts is a handful and Clark is still learning.

What I do miss though is winning - and Lambert made the substitution and we won. So good on him.

Sorry, Didn't mean to bite your head of

At this point i'd gladly take any win by any way shape or form and the points are indeed what is important. But after watching this performance im just as worried as before, if not even more

OptaJoe@OptaJoe

11 - Tonight Aston Villa fielded their youngest ever starting line up in the Premier League - average age 23 years 324 days. Whippersnappers

That will be somthing nice to put on the mantle along with the "worst start to a league season for 795 years" stat or whatever the **** it was.

What other stats are up for grabs.. we seem to be on a roll now!