Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Houllier was shite, did not respect the club, the players did not respect him and he was always going to have "health issues". I also do not believe the hype about him employing a "total football" or similar approach to the way we were playing.

In addition I might just add that he followed on from a very good manager and a period of time that it looked as though we may just challenge for honours. The departure of the previous manager, the appointment of Houllier (and subsequently Mcduff) proved that that was not the case.

The, quite frankly breathtakingly brilliant, Lambert and his approach to how we achieve something at Villa has utterly transformed my outlook on the club, if not the owner. Having also spent some time in the company of Lambert last month, it is hard not to be blown away and impressed by the man.

Just out of interest why do you think lambert is so good?

I thought Trent said enough of that.

I'd like you to answer my question pls :)))

No problem.

Yes it was what I previously called 'a bonus point.' Unexpected, but a good result for us although Arsenal's poor performance contributed to it.

Houllier was shite, did not respect the club, the players did not respect him and he was always going to have "health issues". I also do not believe the hype about him employing a "total football" or similar approach to the way we were playing.

In addition I might just add that he followed on from a very good manager and a period of time that it looked as though we may just challenge for honours. The departure of the previous manager, the appointment of Houllier (and subsequently Mcduff) proved that that was not the case.

The, quite frankly breathtakingly brilliant, Lambert and his approach to how we achieve something at Villa has utterly transformed my outlook on the club, if not the owner. Having also spent some time in the company of Lambert last month, it is hard not to be blown away and impressed by the man.

Tbh, I agree with most of this. I'm just waiting for Lambert to show some of this superduper amazingness I only read about because his gametime decisions and results so far have certainly left a lot to be desired.

I'd like to see ireland in for Kea as we really need to win the game and i think ireland can help that more than KEA.

For attacking purposes, this does make sense - KEA did a good job hassling the Arsenal players and pressing them up high but we need attacking flair tonight, we really need to get at them from the outset and show no mercy.

Ah ok, so you can't provide any proof.

Convenient.

I'm not sure why you are involving yourself in this as it had nothing to do with you. As the proof is clearly there i can only assume that you are again ignoring it due to favouritism but either way i really don't give a toss what you think and as moderator 'TrentVilla' has asked everyone to leave it alone thats exactly what i'm going to do.

I agree the whole punch and judy show has now gone a bit silly. Ignore buttons work wonders guys and it's **** bliss too! Try it out.

Anyways.. I wonder if he will stick with the same team / formation tomorrow night again. I would...

Seeing as it's worked well for periods of games against Sunderland, United, Citeh and Arsenal, I would like to think he will keep it the same, and maybe change it if he needs to during the match.

I'm not sure why you are involving yourself in this as it had nothing to do with you. As the proof is clearly there i can only assume that you are again ignoring it due to favouritism but either way i really don't give a toss what you think and as moderator 'TrentVilla' has asked everyone to leave it alone thats exactly what i'm going to do.

Just interested that's all. You mention it in most posts you make to Mantis, yet it appears to be made up.

I can't ignore evidence if I haven't been shown any.

I'm fine to leave it alone, and will do so (Hadn't seen Trent's post when I made my previous)

Seeing as it's worked well for periods of games against Sunderland, United, Citeh and Arsenal, I would like to think he will keep it the same, and maybe change it if he needs to during the match.

I'd be happy to see Ireland come in for KEA but agree that the formation works.

Just interested that's all. You mention it in most posts you make to Mantis, yet it appears to be made up.

I can't ignore evidence if I haven't been shown any.

I'm fine to leave it alone, and will do so (Hadn't seen Trent's post when I made my previous)

Factually that is incorrect. I haven't mentioned 'it in most posts' i make to Mantis, only very recent posts. I would certainly not make anything up to discredit a poster like that unless i was absolutely sure of my accusation and i am 100% sure! I am also unsure as to why i have to show you evidence. I take it your not a moderator? The moderators have asked to leave it alone and again thats what i'm trying to do.

The poster has now been added to my ignore list for the above reasons and as far as i'm concerned thats the end of it.

I agree that KEA is the one that could easily miss out, although instead of Ireland I wouldn't mind seeing N'Zogbia in a more central role as the attacking threat from the midfield. Tell him to drift around, get the ball down, run at people and get shots away. The problem is that he really wouldn't work hard enough going the other way, and that will be crucial for us.

Me mentioning N'Zogbia might well be wrong in many ways, but I just think he may have that directness we lack against teams like Reading.

Right hopefully this thread being locked for a few hours will have got the message across but just in case.... cut out the bickering.

Keep it on topic, off poster and cut out the finger pointing. If there is an issue report it and please leave moderation to those who have the pleasure of trying to keep the peace.

Any more of the crap I've had to remove from the last few pages and people will find themselves unable to post.

So the Guardian had an article on Villa which I found interesting..

The interesting bit I got from that is...

Afterwards Lambert was asked five times about Bent's omission and in four of his five answers mentioned either "the most important thing is Aston Villa football club" or "the football club is my main priority", which seemed like an odd choice of words.

The above doesn't sit right with me.. Also it's interesting how he keeps on saying it's a long term project yet if you look at his history he doesn't seem the long term type to me.

Not being negative just pointing out some interesting things.

When you aren't winning games, your near the foot of the table and you've a team of kids what choice do you have but to talk about a 'long term' project?

I'm sure Lambert approached this job as a long term project given the mess he inherited and the policy he has taken in the transfer market certainly indicates that but results are the reason we keep hearing this from him. If results were going well the phrase would be being used far less.

In terms of his career to date, I can see your point he hasn't been a long term manager in the sense he hasn't been anywhere very long. I do though think that is in part due to the fact each club has been a stepping stone for a very ambitious man, I suspect he views us as being another one.

I would argue that at Norwich he did take a long term approach, from the start in League One he was trying to build a team not just to get promoted but that would be capable of making the step up when they did. He then did the same in the Championship so there is an element of taking the long term view there compared to some managers who build a team to get promoted then try and start again once they've achieved it.

In terms of Bent it is a little hard to read exactly what is going on and what he means by those comments, I think though it is fair to assume that Lambert doesn't see Bent as part of our future as opposed to Bowry who is.

But lets try if we can to keep this about Lambert rather than straying too much into the topic of Bent as we've another thread for that.

Also it's interesting how he keeps on saying it's a long term project yet if you look at his history he doesn't seem the long term type to me.

On paper it would seem that way. Looking at his last three clubs you could hardly blame him for leaving Colchester to go to a much bigger club in Norwich. He spent three years at Norwich, did a great job, enhanced his reputation and then moved to a bigger club in us, all be it one going through a bad time at the moment.

For me he has a reputation for moving on to bigger clubs. I don't have a problem with that. For him to move on to a bigger club than us he will have had to have done an excellent job here and that would mean getting us back in and around the top 6 and some long cup runs. If he does that there will only be a handful of bigger clubs for him to move on to.

To get us competing again in the upper third of the league is going to take time and in that regard I guess he knows it is a long term project and that until he has achieved that he is unlikely to get any offers from bigger clubs.