Paul Lambert

Pilchard

He went to Southampton with a clear plan of how to play against a team who press high up the pitch. 

Despite the captain and most influential defender going off injured we came away with the three points. 

He has to be pleased with that. 

• Like 1

I'm usually very optimistic, but any praise of Lambert needs to be tempered with recognition of our dreadful ability on the ball at present.

Said in the match thread were easily the worst in the league with the ball.

Exactly why we're set up not to use it (if that makes sense??).

In games where we do have a fair share of possession, we tend to do very little with it, so why not take it out of the equation?

In our case:

john_lennon_imperfection%20_3890.jpg

Thought Lambert got everything 100% spot on today. I know that's easy to say when you win, but I agreed with everything beforehand in the match thread. Set the team up the right way today, it weren't pretty, but 3 points looks better than 0. Lambert showed a tactical side to himself which I weren't quite sure was there. 

There is hitting on the break, and there is having 20% possession.

95/100 you lose with 20% possession. We got lucky. If the breaks had gone the other way we would be talking about one of the worst performances in recent years.

Our lack of ability on the ball is very worrying. I can't ever remember it being this bad.

Still, am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. Stealth victory. 

:ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

I'm usually very optimistic, but any praise of Lambert needs to be tempered with recognition of our dreadful ability on the ball at present.

Said in the match thread were easily the worst in the league with the ball.

Interesting, you must watch a hell of a lot of football.

Aww dont get defensive now, dont think you'll see many teams in the league with as many 20-30% possession in games as we have. We had 30% at home to cardiff ffs.

Meh, **** possession. No one ever won anything with possession.

Except the Premier League and all the major European Leagues, the Europa League, Champions League, European Cup and World Cup.

Apart from those competitions nobody ever won anything with possession.

• Like 1

Meh, **** possession. No one ever won anything with possession.

Except the Premier League and all the major European Leagues, the Europa League, Champions League, European Cup and World Cup.

Apart from those competitions nobody ever won anything with possession.

dddd

Thought Lambert got everything 100% spot on today. I know that's easy to say when you win, but I agreed with everything beforehand in the match thread. Set the team up the right way today, it weren't pretty, but 3 points looks better than 0. Lambert showed a tactical side to himself which I weren't quite sure was there. 

95/100 you lose with 20% possession. We got lucky. If the breaks had gone the other way we would be talking about one of the worst performances in recent years.

Our lack of ability on the ball is very worrying. I can't ever remember it being this bad.

95/100 you lose with 20% possession? 

Thanks for clearing everything up with some facts. 

I fail to see why, when we score 3 very good goals and as far as I can remember Southampton didn't miss any sitters people are complaining that much.

Despite poor possession we always looked dangerous. We were away from home against a team that hasn't lost at home and actually pass the ball around really well. We were always going to have poor possession but who cares? We hit them on the break which was no doubt Lambert's plan and we won.

How the manager doesn't deserve credit for us winning the way he wanted us to is beyond me. 

Sorry that was a test post above :) We win, fans moan. We draw, fans moan. We lose, fans go ballistic. Very sad. Those 2500 fans that travelled sang their hearts out and bet they are loving the win. Lambert is the man!

Edited by sidcowans21

You don't keep being lucky though - were we luck against Man City, Arsenal, WBA ? - Luck can nick you the odd game - but if you're consistently picking up points you are doing something right. Its the opposite of WBA who before tonight were bemoaning how unlucky they had been .....maybe in a one off ....but not over time.  This isn't a great villa team by any stretch - but give us any chance of winning a game and we will take it.........

95/100 you lose with 20% possession? 

Thanks for clearing everything up with some facts. 

I fail to see why, when we score 3 very good goals and as far as I can remember Southampton didn't miss any sitters people are complaining that much.

Despite poor possession we always looked dangerous. We were away from home against a team that hasn't lost at home and actually pass the ball around really well. We were always going to have poor possession but who cares? We hit them on the break which was no doubt Lambert's plan and we won.

How the manager doesn't deserve credit for us winning the way he wanted us to is beyond me. 

Hitting on the break is a tactic, having 20% possession is a result of being inept on the ball. 

We won despite the tactics, not because of them. We got lucky. 

I found it hilarious and am not going to complain about the 3 points.

But to try to say this was some kind of tactical masterstroke is plain bollocks.

You don't keep being lucky though - were we luck against Man City, Arsenal, WBA ? - Luck can nick you the odd game - but if you're consistently picking up points you are doing something right. Its the opposite of WBA who before tonight were bemoaning how unlucky they had been .....maybe in a one off ....but not over time.  This isn't a great villa team by any stretch - but give us any chance of winning a game and we will take it.........

Regardless of whether or not it applies to us this season, if you understand probability then yes you can keep getting lucky. The idea that luck evens itself out over a season is obviously not true.