Paul Lambert

Pilchard

IMO, the main improvement (same time this year to last) is our luck. Last year we had none up until Xmas. This year we've had a fair bit (apart from Chelsea away).

If we carry on playing like this, but the luck deserts us, we are in the doo dah, because it's woeful stuff.

I really want Lambert to work some magic as I want him to succeed here, but I'm really just sitting back and watching what happens, game by game, with the sort of interest you give a car crash. I hope the training is different to the match play.

Have we been lucky, really?

Okore getting injured and out for the season. Benteke in a fine run of scoring, then gets injured and struggles to find form or fitness.

Gabby playing through injury and then missing games through injury. Weimann, Delph and Luna out through injury. We're not even upto Xmas and we've played quite a few games with three or four key players missing.

We may not be playing great football but we have cut out the defensive mistakes, to a large degree, and thats not down to luck.

Also it's not beyond the realms of possibility that when the majority of these key players are back to speed that our game will improve.

Yes, I believe we have ridden our luck. The last two games we were lucky to get anything. Every team gets injuries. I stand by what wrote earlier. If we carry on playing like this without the luck then we're in serious trouble.

Of course, a few things can happen. We start playing a lot better and/or we stay lucky. I hope we do both.

IMO, the main improvement (same time this year to last) is our luck. Last year we had none up until Xmas. This year we've had a fair bit (apart from Chelsea away).

If we carry on playing like this, but the luck deserts us, we are in the doo dah, because it's woeful stuff.

I really want Lambert to work some magic as I want him to succeed here, but I'm really just sitting back and watching what happens, game by game, with the sort of interest you give a car crash. I hope the training is different to the match play.

Okore getting injured and out for the season. Benteke in a fine run of scoring, then gets injured and struggles to find form or fitness.

Gabby playing through injury and then missing games through injury. Weimann, Delph and Luna out through injury. We're not even upto Xmas and we've played quite a few games with three or four key players missing.

We may not be playing great football but we have cut out the defensive mistakes, to a large degree, and thats not down to luck.

Also it's not beyond the realms of possibility that when the majority of these key players are back to speed that our game will improve.

Yes, I believe we have ridden our luck. The last two games we were lucky to get anything. Every team gets injuries. I stand by what wrote earlier. If we carry on playing like this without the luck then we're in serious trouble.

Of course, a few things can happen. We start playing a lot better and/or we stay lucky. I hope we do both.

You fail to take into account how much "luck" other clubs are having and you also fail to take into account how other clubs are playing and the respective qualities of other clubs' performances.  Do you think Villa are the only club that plays poorly now and again?  The stark truth is that we are a more organised, effective and better team than this time last year - if you don't believe me look at the table.

• Like 1

Against West Brom we had more shots at goal, and more shots on target. They were dominant in the first half, we were dominant in the second. Neither team had a dubious goal given or a legitimate goal ruled out. We got what we both deserved, a draw.

On Saturday the only time the ball was put into the back of the net it was ruled offside, and it was offside, no arguments about it at all. We both got what we deserved a 0-0 draw.

Of course every team gets injuries but we've had a lot of injuries in a short space of time, to key players. Thats hardly lucky is it.

Last season in parts was an adrenalin fuelled ride of fast past attack, some great goals from our front line and comedy pub defending. Every game was a roller coaster ride and a 1:0 deficit after 10 mins was the norm.

Now the comedy pub defending has almost gone but so has the adrenalin ride of goals. Weimann, Gabby and Benteke were unplayable last season, this season it feels like teams know how to nullify their threat plus all three are off form or have been injured.

If we can't play on the break or hoof it - then we play possession football that goes nowhere.

Our limitations are so obvious it hurts. Our midfield is league one level, our attack when on form is top 8 prem class, our defence seems to now be catching up to Prem standard, but it's all a weird mix of differing abilities. But on the whole we aren't a good footballing team and it hurts me to say that.

Lambert tries to make us play to our strengths, he used three attackers because he recognised our midfield wasn't good enough, instead he substituted talent in that area for reliability and industry (and the hope Delph can become something special).

As tedious as it is to state, until we have some kind of creative technical ball players in there with an eye for a forward pass and good close control we will not improve beyond where we are now, which I might add is a good solid platform to go from. And yes we need players to make the runs to adapt to the passes that this type of player would offer.

Looking at the players we have I would only say that Bennett (honest, I know he can't defend but he is genuinely good on the ball), Helenius (judging by the preseason games) and supposedly Tonev - have these technical creative attributes, maybe Gardener and Albrighton at a push, and then Grealish and Graham (maybe Carruthers). All are currently fringe players or youth players who won't be blooded for some time as Lambert doesn't play anyone under the age of 23.

Lambert needs to take some risks and make some bold choices with the players we have. 

We are making progress though, just very dull and slow progress. And I think the players we have will and are getting better.

Edited by VillanousOne

Giaccherini.gif

• Like 1

I think he should do one of two things HH.

Pull Benteke aside in training out of the earshot of other players and ask him is his injury still bothering him? If the answer is yes then bench him until he is 100% or if the answer is an honest no then warn him that if his performance doesn't improve in the next game he will be dropped.

Injuries aren't that simple. There's no magical 100% switch that goes off. Some injuries hurt for a while and can affect you, but they don't just go away through rest, they need to be used and it's a slow process getting back to 100%. I've never had a hip flexor issue, but I've had a sports hernia (which hurts all over that area, including almost out to the hip) , and that took forever to stop hurting after I was able to resume doing stuff

I see a lot of people hailing the back end of last season like we we're playing some fantastic football. But we really weren't. As it got to the back end of last season we were playing a lot of the teams around us who were also fighting relegation. This allowed us to play our counter attacking football as they had to play for points. We didn't play teams off the park (apart from Sunderland), a lot of games we're just end to end games which we managed to win. We've hugely improved this season defensively, and the problems were having with attacking now is the same problems we've had since I've been a season ticket holder down Villa Park (Since MON). We just can't break teams down. It's unfair to expect Lambert to improve our philosophies in both defence and attack in 18months of being here. Next season I'd like to see a much improved attacking mentality installed into the squad in the same way we've improved defensively this season. If next season comes and we're still playing the dire football we are now then questions need to be asked. But it's too early to ask those questions now.

Good point.

Giaccherini.gif

A player messed up, it happens.

Were all the teams that beat us, because of our defensive howlers, last season lucky?  No of course not, we messed up it was our fault.

Edited by Ghost_of_Pongo_Waring

Last season in parts was an adrenalin fuelled ride of fast past attack, some great goals from our front line and comedy pub defending. Every game was a roller coaster ride and a 1:0 deficit after 10 mins was the norm.

Now the comedy pub defending has almost gone but so has the adrenalin ride of goals. Weimann, Gabby and Benteke were unplayable last season, this season it feels like teams know how to nullify their threat plus all three are off form or have been injured.

If we can't play on the break or hoof it - then we play possession football that goes nowhere.

Our limitations are so obvious it hurts. Our midfield is league one level, our attack when on form is top 8 prem class, our defence seems to now be catching up to Prem standard, but it's all a weird mix of differing abilities. But on the whole we aren't a good footballing team and it hurts me to say that.

Lambert tries to make us play to our strengths, he used three attackers because he recognised our midfield wasn't good enough, instead he substituted talent in that area for reliability and industry (and the hope Delph can become something special).

As tedious as it is to state, until we have some kind of creative technical ball players in there with an eye for a forward pass and good close control we will not improve beyond where we are now, which I might add is a good solid platform to go from. And yes we need players to make the runs to adapt to the passes that this type of player would offer.

Looking at the players we have I would only say that Bennett (honest, I know he can't defend but he is genuinely good on the ball), Helenius (judging by the preseason games) and supposedly Tonev - have these technical creative attributes, maybe Gardener and Albrighton at a push, and then Grealish and Graham (maybe Carruthers). All are currently fringe players or youth players who won't be blooded for some time as Lambert doesn't play anyone under the age of 23.

Lambert needs to take some risks and make some bold choices with the players we have. 

We are making progress though, just very dull and slow progress. And I think the players we have will and are getting better.

I agree with some of what you've posted but to say "as Lambert doesn't play anyone under the age of 23." ........... apart from Baker, Okore, Luna, Bacuna, Weimann, Benteke and Bowery.

13 goals scored so far 3 against Arsenal and 3 against Man city

jesus.....7 against the rest.

really spooky that.

That's 2 clubs that come out and attack us, expecting the win. We do alright on the counter, so no real surprises there.

Getting goals against teams that sit back - that's our issue. We need more creativity in the middle of the park before that will change.

• Like 3

Against West Brom we had more shots at goal, and more shots on target. They were dominant in the first half, we were dominant in the second. Neither team had a dubious goal given or a legitimate goal ruled out. We got what we both deserved, a draw.

On Saturday the only time the ball was put into the back of the net it was ruled offside, and it was offside, no arguments about it at all. We both got what we deserved a 0-0 draw.

Of course every team gets injuries but we've had a lot of injuries in a short space of time, to key players. Thats hardly lucky is it.

West Brom should have been out of sight and Sunderland missed the sitter of the decade. We've been luckier than this time last year.

Pull Benteke aside in training out of the earshot of other players and ask him is his injury still bothering him? If the answer is yes then bench him until he is 100% or if the answer is an honest no then warn him that if his performance doesn't improve in the next game he will be dropped.

Injuries aren't that simple. There's no magical 100% switch that goes off. Some injuries hurt for a while and can affect you, but they don't just go away through rest, they need to be used and it's a slow process getting back to 100%. I've never had a hip flexor issue, but I've had a sports hernia (which hurts all over that area, including almost out to the hip) , and that took forever to stop hurting after I was able to resume doing stuff

With all due respect though you aren't in a profession that is reliant upon the team members being 100% fit to perform properly.

With all due respect though you aren't in a profession that is reliant upon the team members being 100% fit to perform properly.

What's that got to do with his point?

We've been luckier than this time last year.

You could argue we were unlucky against Everton and Tottenham. It is a pointless exercise.

We were very unlucky against Chelsea and pretty unlucky against Liverpool as well.

The main difference from this year to last is that when we have had injuries we haven't fallen to pieces. We are still getting results. Last season we had a few out and the team collapsed.

• Like 1

really spooky that.

That's 2 clubs that come out and attack us, expecting the win. We do alright on the counter, so no real surprises there.

Getting goals against teams that sit back - that's our issue. We need more creativity in the middle of the park before that will change.

To be fair though we've needed that before and since the start of Lambert's tenure and it still hasn't been addressed.

Basically everything.

really spooky that.

To be fair though we've needed that before and since the start of Lambert's tenure and it still hasn't been addressed.

Basically everything.

I'm not sure you've misunderstood his point then