Paul Lambert

Pilchard

The results havent been any better than McLeish or Houllier. Now I'm not saying I dont like or rate Lambert, or that I like or rate those two clowns. I'm simply stating the fact that results wise, there has been no improvement whatsoever.

I can accept that it's going to be a tough season and most probably a relegation battle but I really thought we would be pushing top half so I could at least spend the last 3 months of the season not cowering in fear.

The results havent been any better than McLeish or Houllier. Now I'm not saying I dont like or rate Lambert, or that I like or rate those two clowns. I'm simply stating the fact that results wise, there has been no improvement whatsoever.

I can accept that it's going to be a tough season and most probably a relegation battle but I really thought we would be pushing top half so I could at least spend the last 3 months of the season not cowering in fear.

Hang on a second, it's way too early to be jumping to those kind of conclusions. At the moment there's nothing to suggest that we can't finish top half and that's with a nightmare of a fixture list now behind us.

I'm curious as to why you think there is going to be a rel. battle? We've come through a tough set of fixtures with a pretty neutral GD and an improved point total from the same fixtures last year.

We all see games differently.

I could barely watch games under Mcleish, it was embarassing at times and I did not expect any improvement, in fact the opposite.

I do watch the games under Lambert with some interest, even enthusiasm, because I feel something might happen.

Whether the results show improvement or not is a different matter, too early in the season to tell, I think we have not played a wide enough selection of clubs at this stage.

I support Aston Villa, not Paul Lambert. So please don't use strawman arguments like 'go and support another team'...

Yes Paul Lambert the manager of AVFC. We get it you don't like him, all this half hearted support is nonsense. But to label his football as not much different to McLeish shows your level of support. Did you ever physically go and watch a game under McLeish because your comment shows you never.

I don't see a great difference in the football either, on the whole it's still as **** dire as it was under him

Since the turn of the year our performances away have been much better then anything under McLeish (bar Chelsea) but I just don't see any major improvement to how we play at home. We still look like the away team almost every time we play at VP.

Think Spurs was a lot closer this time around & Everton certainly knew they'd been in a game on Saturday

Well that'll count for a MASSIVE amount come May. Excellent work Paul

I think the point clearly was that we were better against them than last season.

As it happened this didn't earn us any points but if we are better against the more marginal teams we will take more points

We're already 4 points better off than last year and a much much better side than under McL

I expect 8 points from the next five games making us 8 points ahead of last season after 14 games

Fair play- I forgot about that one

Put another way, from the same set of home fixtures last season, 0 points. Think Spurs was a lot closer this time around & Everton certainly knew they'd been in a game on Saturday

I agree, to me we look more competitive this year.

We've been unlucky to lose Okore and have also been without Benteke for a spell.

The next five fixtures will be a benchmark - they only yielded 4 points for us last season but I expect us to take 7-9 this season

We are already 4 points up on the same fixtures as last year. Good enough progress for me

Nice to see you posting again VillaCas.

Taking into consideration how the team finished last season are you still happy with our style of play?

When you consider we had the likes of Young, Downing, Walker & an on fire Bent under Houllier, you would expect the results to be better.

Last season was a real low & a massive gamble that worked largely because of Wigans cup run. There was a clear remit to get rid of the troublemakers & high earners & replace them with young, hungry players on much lower wages. We scraped through.

The squad is a year older & wiser and has some healthy additions. We WILL finish higher this season than we did under AM

Fair play- I forgot about that one

Put another way, from the same set of home fixtures last season, 0 points. Think Spurs was a lot closer this time around & Everton certainly knew they'd been in a game on Saturday

I agree, to me we look more competitive this year.

We've been unlucky to lose Okore and have also been without Benteke for a spell.

The next five fixtures will be a benchmark - they only yielded 4 points for us last season but I expect us to take 7-9 this season

We are already 4 points up on the same fixtures as last year. Good enough progress for me

Nice to see you posting again VillaCas.

Taking into consideration how the team finished last season are you still happy with our style of play?

The season so far has been a mixed bag - some good perfromances and some poor ones. I was particularly disappointed by our performance against Newcastle and feel like Spurs and Everton were there for the taking if we had a little more confidence and cutting edge. We've been unlucky with injuries to Okore and Benteke which hasn't helped.

In terms of our style of play I would like to see us taking more possession and being more positive, especially at home

I'm still happy with Lambert and I still believe we are progressing and I think it's too early to judge progress this season, especially given our tough run of fixtures. We are four points better off than the same fixtures last season.

The next five games will be tell me a lot more - I'm looking for at least 7 points and hopefully more. It will also tell us a bit more about the new signings, some are finding their feet but some like Kozak have yet to make an impact - the next few games will be important for them

I am concerned that even if Lambert is wildly successful, 8th place is about the best we could contemplate given the level of investment available

Some stats since Lambert took over

P 47

W 13

D 12

L 22

F 56

A 81

Doesn't make brilliant reading. I don't want Lambert out, but if we're still hovering around the bottom half come Christmas, I think he'll start getting some serious pressure.

You just can not ignore the amount of goals we concede. You can argue just under 10% of those were in one game, but it's a problem that he hasn't addressed.

P 47

W 13

D 12

L 22

F 56

A 81

Doesn't make brilliant reading. I don't want Lambert out, but if we're still hovering around the bottom half come Christmas, I think he'll start getting some serious pressure.

You just can not ignore the amount of goals we concede. You can argue just under 10% of those were in one game, but it's a problem that he hasn't addressed.

The defense has improved this year. And that's with okore, who already might've already been the clubs best cb, out injured for the most part

P 47

W 13

D 12

L 22

F 56

A 81

18.5% of those goals were conceded in a single week. Our defence has been ok this season.

Edited by Mantis

Yeah the hoof ball has got way out of hand, our possession is back to the McCleish era

Our possession stats at home last season weren't any better then under McLeish.

That means jack diddly squat with regards to playing style. If you mean to say we are similar or worse than under AM then that is some serious revisionism not to mention short memory.

Terrible substitutions on Saturday.

Hampered by the lack of quality available. There was no one to bring on to change the game in our favour.

Perhaps if the Kozak money would've been spend more wisely, there would've been.

Are we really in a position to judge whether Kozak was a "wise" acquisition after what, 5 games? If things were really so bad then surely you'd be able to find better sticks to beat the manager with than these?

As with SIT, you are clearly unable to read in context. The original comment tried to argue that our possession stats were better under Lambert last season then they were under McLeish. I merely pointed out that this was incorrect.

As I said to Mantis before regarding our football at home, if you enjoy it and see it as a major step-up on what was served up under McLeish, then I really do envy you and I wish I felt the same.

As for Kozak, the signing was only wise if you accept that Lambert is too tactically limited to play without a No. 9 in the team.

The context is irrelevant because you've made the point elsewhere. I don't have to like the current style to say it's better than McLeish's. As for Kozak, what if he ends up being an integral player for us? Will he be a wise signing then? Lol but wait, what does PL's perceived tactical limitations have to do with anything? Do you know the exact reason he was bought? No, you can only speculate, and thus can't make sweeping statements as to why he was bought and whether or not he was a good buy so early into his Villa career.

Heres an idea, support another team mate. 

I do hate it when people post stuff like this. The whole basis of this site is that people support Villa, otherwise, they would be wasting their time posting here.

However irritating or bonkers you find their ideas, everyone is expressing their views as a fan, so comments like this are quite out of place and offensive.

Offensive in what way? Every post of his is a pop at Lambert but he half heartedly backs him but he hasn't got the backbone to actually come out and say he wants him gone which I'd actually give him more credit for.

This a site where the only thing that unites all posters is the fact that they support Aston Villa. If you can't see how telling someone to support another club when they disagree with you is inappropriate and offensive, I'm not sure I can help any further.

• Like 2

The context is irrelevant because you've made the point elsewhere. I don't have to like the current style to say it's better than McLeish's. As for Kozak, what if he ends up being an integral player for us? Will he be a wise signing then? Lol but wait, what does PL's perceived tactical limitations have to do with anything? Do you know the exact reason he was bought? No, you can only speculate, and thus can't make sweeping statements as to why he was bought and whether or not he was a good buy so early into his Villa career.

The context has everything to do with it because that is the post you decided to reply to. Regardless of whether you don't think possession statistics count for much, that doesn't change the validy of my original reply to a poster who believed we had better possession statistics last season under Lambert then we did under McLeish when this isn't the case.

As I've said already, judgements on playing style are subjective. I don't see much improvement with the football played at home under Lambert, you clearly do.

Regarding Kozak, it isn't speculation at all. From the mouth of Paul Lambert:

...we need somebody like him as we only have Christian Benteke really as a main target man.

“He’ll take that burden off Christian and he’ll add greatly to what we’ve got...

So firstly he is seen as the same type of player by the manager and secondly he has been brought in to 'take the burden' off Benteke (i.e. be his understudy). Now considering that we already had quite a few strikers here, why would we desperately (we had been chasing him all summer according to Lambert) need an understudy for Benteke? The only reason, as many have alluded to, is to be able to play the same system in Benteke's absence. Thus the fact that Lambert feels he can only play with a 'target-man' in the team is a pointer of tactical limitation.

Finally, my views on Kozak as a player are well known and you can check them out in his thread if you wish. I stand by everything I've said about him. Hopefully I'll be proved wrong.

I do hate it when people post stuff like this. The whole basis of this site is that people support Villa, otherwise, they would be wasting their time posting here.

However irritating or bonkers you find their ideas, everyone is expressing their views as a fan, so comments like this are quite out of place and offensive.

Offensive in what way? Every post of his is a pop at Lambert but he half heartedly backs him but he hasn't got the backbone to actually come out and say he wants him gone which I'd actually give him more credit for.

This a site where the only thing that unites all posters is the fact that they support Aston Villa. If you can't see how telling someone to support another club when they disagree with you is inappropriate and offensive, I'm not sure I can help any further.

But if you demand top notch football & top 6 finishes every year (& by the way you & your ilk continually moan, only this seems acceptable to you) then Aston Villa is clearly not the team for you.

Genuine Villa fans know that the above has been the rarity, not the norm & as you never provide benchmarks to justify your moans, you are either naive or are moaning for moanings sake.

But if you demand top notch football & top 6 finishes every year (& by the way you & your ilk continually moan, only this seems acceptable to you) then Aston Villa is clearly not the team for you.

Genuine Villa fans know that the above has been the rarity, not the norm & as you never provide benchmarks to justify your moans, you are either naive or are moaning for moanings sake.

I think someone skipped the posts with actual facts. Oh well. You keep cheering bottom half finishes and survival.

The context has everything to do with it because that is the post you decided to reply to. Regardless of whether you don't think possession statistics count for much, that doesn't change the validy of my original reply to a poster who believed we had better possession statistics last season under Lambert then we did under McLeish when this isn't the case.

As I've said already, judgements on playing style are subjective. I don't see much improvement with the football played at home under Lambert, you clearly do.

Regarding Kozak, it isn't speculation at all. From the mouth of Paul Lambert:

...we need somebody like him as we only have Christian Benteke really as a main target man.

“He’ll take that burden off Christian and he’ll add greatly to what we’ve got...

So firstly he is seen as the same type of player by the manager and secondly he has been brought in to 'take the burden' off Benteke (i.e. be his understudy). Now considering that we already had quite a few strikers here, why would we desperately (we had been chasing him all summer according to Lambert) need an understudy for Benteke? The only reason, as many have alluded to, is to be able to play the same system in Benteke's absence. Thus the fact that Lambert feels he can only play with a 'target-man' in the team is a pointer of tactical limitation.

Finally, my views on Kozak as a player are well known and you can check them out in his thread if you wish. I stand by everything I've said about him. Hopefully I'll be proved wrong.

Not sure that's true - when you have a winning system, you can use that system as a foundation to build others off of. When building a house, you don't destroy the foundation first: you make sure it is strong as possible. Making sure we have a replacement for Benteke in is sure our most successful formula remains an option for us to use, something the players and manager are already comfortable with and know how to work. It doesn't mean that that is the only way we can play.

For all his time has been limited so far, surely the acquisition of Helenius, who offers us something none of our other strikers do, suggests Lambert is keen to have a number of options open to him?

The results are unforgivable - I am not going to give Lambert and easier time than I gave Houllier or Mcleish. - That said I do have hope that Lambert can progress and in future my build us a better villa team. I had no hope that either Houllier or Mcleish would do that.

I think Lambert just dropped a few clangers in last summers transfers - thats set him back 12 months (all IMO of Course)

Don't think I've ever known us this bad at home, it appears to be psychological as much as anything to me now.

Don't think I've ever known us this bad at home, it appears to be psychological as much as anything to me now.

its not psychological....we just can't keep the ball.

I think EV is right, we are like rabbits in headlights, we are beaten before we step out onto the pitch.