Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Nice letter, but time will tell.

Actions not words.

Can you not see the actions?

High paid parasites shipped out-Young, hungry players in their place

No more Heskey/Harewood type strikers signed-Benteke & Kozac signed for similar amounts (when wages taken into account)

After 3 years of anxiety & relegation battles, stability & progress instead (early days this season admittedly but signs are great)

The club running on a more even keel in terms of wages paid to players

A complete re-vamping of players like Fabian Delph & Brad Guzan-Both of whom have developed into top 6/8 players under the current regime

Lets stick with this bloke & get behind him. I honestly feel theres a lot more to come. The majority buy into this but you have the hardcore few who still moan. Lambert works with these lads on an almost daily basis. He is more equipped to decide what is best for our club than people like us (who care deeply about it.admittedly) Only one man can make the decisions & we need to trust that man. We've proved in recent weeks that we would all pick different starting line ups/ formations etc.We will never all be right & never agree with PL all the time. His job is to manage the playing side of things-We need to support him & get behind the team. We're moving in the right direction whilst shopping at the lower end of the scale. How can anyone criticise while we are improving whilst doing this?

A bit of a presumptuous post. For all we know this will be another season of 'anxiety and a relegation battle'. Our progress will be determined this season. It hasn't been proven yet.

Also your argument about the manager being best played to decided etc can be used for any manager in the world.

Not presumptuous at all. My post has been based on the football played since the turn of the year.

My argument about the manager being best placed can apply to any manager in the world. It cannot however apply to anyone who plays "football manager" throughout the world. Paul Lambert has forgotten more about professional football in the last week than many of us will ever know in a lifetime. The point of my argument was that whoever is in charge, be it SAF or Barry Fry, we need to trust & back him. Winning the 1974 Birmingham Subeutteo tournament does not qualify you to claim you know better. We are no worse than any in our "mid-table" pack & better than most. In addition, we are still improving whilst some are stagnating & going backwards. In addition, as much as you & your ilk moan about the standard of the football we play, we still play better than most in that group.

Don't get me wrong - I am a big supporter of Lambert. I think he might be the guy for us and I hope that his will be a long and successful tenure.

Actions not words.

No more Heskey/Harewood type strikers signed-Benteke & Kozac signed for similar amounts (when wages taken into account)

After 3 years of anxiety & relegation battles, stability & progress instead (early days this season admittedly but signs are great)

A complete re-vamping of players like Fabian Delph & Brad Guzan-Both of whom have developed into top 6/8 players under the current regime

Lets stick with this bloke & get behind him. I honestly feel theres a lot more to come. The majority buy into this but you have the hardcore few who still moan. Lambert works with these lads on an almost daily basis. He is more equipped to decide what is best for our club than people like us (who care deeply about it.admittedly) Only one man can make the decisions & we need to trust that man. We've proved in recent weeks that we would all pick different starting line ups/ formations etc.We will never all be right & never agree with PL all the time. His job is to manage the playing side of things-We need to support him & get behind the team. We're moving in the right direction whilst shopping at the lower end of the scale. How can anyone criticise while we are improving whilst doing this?

A bit of a presumptuous post. For all we know this will be another season of 'anxiety and a relegation battle'. Our progress will be determined this season. It hasn't been proven yet.

Also your argument about the manager being best played to decided etc can be used for any manager in the world.

Not presumptuous at all. My post has been based on the football played since the turn of the year.

My argument about the manager being best placed can apply to any manager in the world. It cannot however apply to anyone who plays "football manager" throughout the world. Paul Lambert has forgotten more about professional football in the last week than many of us will ever know in a lifetime. The point of my argument was that whoever is in charge, be it SAF or Barry Fry, we need to trust & back him. Winning the 1974 Birmingham Subeutteo tournament does not qualify you to claim you know better. We are no worse than any in our "mid-table" pack & better than most. In addition, we are still improving whilst some are stagnating & going backwards. In addition, as much as you & your ilk moan about the standard of the football we play, we still play better than most in that group.

It is presumptuous because you effectively assume we will finish safely mid-table this season when there is a realistic chance that we could be embroiled in another relegation battle that you have basically claimed we have seen the back off. For what it's worth, I don't think we will be but I'll wait to see how this season pans out before I start making bold statements about our progress.

Secondly, fans will always believe they know better at times and thus criticise the manager when they feel he has made the wrong decision in a certain matter. I don't seem to remember you and your ilk (to coin your phrase) reminding us that Alex McLeish knew best and we have no legitimate footballing experience to question his tactics during his tenure.

• Like 1

The thing is, when commenting and questioning things, who are people comparing us with? Everton? Man City? Arsenal? Swansea? Cardiff? Crystal Palace? Barcelona?

Given the financial issues over the past few seasons, people need to accept who our competitors are and how we are comparing against those teams.

For those who claim that we are AVFC & shouldn't have to accept that, I agree but would point out that the blame for this lies with the man who claimed to have a "five year plan" but is now happy to run the club in a way that is the least harmful financially to him.

• Like 1

The thing is, when commenting and questioning things, who are people comparing us with? Everton? Man City? Arsenal? Swansea? Cardiff? Crystal Palace? Barcelona?

Given the financial issues over the past few seasons, people need to accept who our competitors are and how we are comparing against those teams.

For those who claim that we are AVFC & shouldn't have to accept that, I agree but would point out that the blame for this lies with the man who claimed to have a "five year plan" but is now happy to run the club in a way that is the least harmful financially to him.

Agree.

• Like 1

Actions not words.

It is presumptuous because you effectively assume we will finish safely mid-table this season when there is a realistic chance that we could be embroiled in another relegation battle that you have basically claimed we have seen the back off. For what it's worth, I don't think we will be but I'll wait to see how this season pans out before I start making bold statements about our progress.

Secondly, fans will always believe they know better at times and thus criticise the manager when they feel he has made the wrong decision in a certain matter. I don't seem to remember you and your ilk (to coin your phrase) reminding us that Alex McLeish knew best and we have no legitimate footballing experience to question his tactics during his tenure.

firstly, I supported AM as well. He applied for the Villa job on 3 occasions & was totally committed to it once he got the chance, despite the ridiculous protests that effectively saw his position as untenable. David Moyes had 2 similar seasons with Everton before they showed a glimmer of the side that they have become today. I believe with projects such as the Villa job, a minimum of 3 seasons should be afforded before decisions are made.

I assume we are mid table given the weaker sides below us and the experience that last season gave to the players. We have been playing way above relegation standard since Boxing Day last year In your argument, anyone from Southampton downwards could be relegation fodder. By the same argument, I would say that a Europa League place is up for grabs for 1 team. As we have not played like relegation candidates throughout 2013, I fail to see how I would be presumptuous.

firstly, I supported AM as well. He applied for the Villa job on 3 occasions & was totally committed to it once he got the chance, despite the ridiculous protests that effectively saw his position as untenable. David Moyes had 2 similar seasons with Everton before they showed a glimmer of the side that they have become today. I believe with projects such as the Villa job, a minimum of 3 seasons should be afforded before decisions are made.

I assume we are mid table given the weaker sides below us and the experience that last season gave to the players. We have been playing way above relegation standard since Boxing Day last year In your argument, anyone from Southampton downwards could be relegation fodder. By the same argument, I would say that a Europa League place is up for grabs for 1 team. As we have not played like relegation candidates throughout 2013, I fail to see how I would be presumptuous.

Liverpool have been in top-4 form throughout 2013 but it would still be presumptous if their fans started claiming they are a top 4 club when there is a realistic chance they won't even finish in the top 4 this season.

My point about McLeish was just a general one about criticism of a manager and your assertion that basically only people with some sort of experience in professional football have the right to criticise the manager's decisions. I am just curious to know if you make that point every time any one of us regular fans makes a criticism of the manager, whoever that may be?

Edited by Isa

I assume we are mid table given the weaker sides below us and the experience that last season gave to the players. We have been playing way above relegation standard since Boxing Day last year In your argument, anyone from Southampton downwards could be relegation fodder. By the same argument, I would say that a Europa League place is up for grabs for 1 team. As we have not played like relegation candidates throughout 2013, I fail to see how I would be presumptuous.

Liverpool have been in top-4 form throughout 2013 but it would still be presumptous if their fans started claiming they are a top 4 club when there is a realistic chance they won't even finish in the top 4 this season.

My point about McLeish was just a general one about criticism of a manager and your assertion that basically only people with some sort of experience in professional football have the right to criticise the manager's decisions. I am just curious to know if you make that point every time any one of us regular fans makes a criticism of the manager, whoever that may be?

The Liverpool scenario is slightly different. The way you are going with this, it would be "presumptuous" to claim/assume anything. The bottom line is we are going to be mid-table this season & we both know it. To argue otherwise on here is pointless.

What frustrates me about fans is that even someone like AM was able to go into that dressing room & command respect of his players, run the football club through management skills. If you or I went into that dressing room, it would be anarchy

My point is that there is no right or wrong way to play football-5-3-2 against Man City bought us an unbelievable high. 4-3-3 against Hull looked more entertaining on paper but ended 0-0

I enjoy discussing decisions after games & often moan about the way subs were/were not used. A big criticism I had last season was that it seemed like every game we had to make 3 changes. PL felt it was needed, I didn't

I accept his decision as he knows his players better than I do. So yes, I can make that point as there is a difference between criticising & disagreeing.

The Liverpool scenario is slightly different. The way you are going with this, it would be "presumptuous" to claim/assume anything. The bottom line is we are going to be mid-table this season & we both know it. To argue otherwise on here is pointless.

This being the presumption I was referring to.

What frustrates me about fans is that even someone like AM was able to go into that dressing room & command respect of his players, run the football club through management skills. If you or I went into that dressing room, it would be anarchy

By that logic, if I take my broken car to a mechanic and it is still faulty afterwards, I have no right to say he did a bad job because I wouldn't have been able to have done a better job myself.

Or never comment on how bad a player is unless you are at least equal in footballing ability to him?

My point is that there is no right or wrong way to play football-5-3-2 against Man City bought us an unbelievable high. 4-3-3 against Hull looked more entertaining on paper but ended 0-0

I wouldn't disagree with that but what I would say is that the right way of playing is the way that produces adequete results. Which is ultimately what Lambert will be judged on. However the fans (especially those that attend games) do have the right to demand a playing style that is pleasing on the eye as football is a form of entertainment first and foremost.

I enjoy discussing decisions after games & often moan about the way subs were/were not used. A big criticism I had last season was that it seemed like every game we had to make 3 changes. PL felt it was needed, I didn't

I accept his decision as he knows his players better than I do. So yes, I can make that point as there is a difference between criticising & disagreeing.

Links back to the point above about who has the right to criticise the manager.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 1

Actions not words.

I think this is a complete misunderstanding of what is involved in supporting a club, particularly if you've been doing it long-term. It's perfectly possible to support a team passionately whenever they take the field in Villa shirts, yet still be critical and questioning about performance and skill levels, managerial decisions, investment strategy etc.

And, really, it would be a horrible world if that wasn't allowed, wouldn't it, and we all just had to keep our heads down and support the current manager on the basis that "he knows best"?

I wonder how Sunderland fans and the doings of Madmano di Canio fit into that world view?

At any time, the current chairman/board, manager and players are really just like stewards of the club they are involved with, and fans - particularly long term ones - will quite legitimately ask, "how well are they serving our club?"

I think it's much too early to answer that question about Lambert and his current squad, although this season is certainly looking better than last. Randy Lerner has been around long enough to be assessed and the judgement has to be: "probably well-meaning, but mediocre outcomes so far".

If it's OK with you, I'm going to continue to take a critical interest in how the club is progressing and not kowtow to the manager just because he's the manager. At the same time as cheering them on and following the emotional highs and lows of every match we play.

Oh, and it's probably not great to use phrases like "the hardcore few who still moan". It's good to work on the basis that everyone on here has an individual opinion that needs to be respected in its own right, even if it is completely bonkers.

It's not OK with me but I'm sure you will still do it anyway.

If you've supported this club long term, you will know that success is far outweighed by failure.

The Lerner era at present is not a million miles away from the Ellis era with DOL at the helm. Both managers under these regimes were forced to work with limited budgets.

The hardcore few who thrive on moaning will never change, their glasses will always be half empty.

Since Xmas, I can only think of Southampton (back in January) & Newcastle (January & recently) outside of the top 6 who have beaten us.

What exactly is there that makes you think theres something to criticise? I'm genuinely interested.

I'm not sure if you people have ever actually got yourselves involved in any form of sport but with the defeatist attitudes you portray on here, you would not have got very far. You would have lost before you started. When we have a manager like PDC then maybe that is the time to moan & criticise but there is no need for this at present as we are moving in the right direction. Presumptions are for the defeatist's amongst us who have lost before a ball has been kicked. Man City 2 weeks ago should have told you that we can compete. People need to start believing in the manager AND the team a bit more. Otherwise, point us to this benchmark that previous AVFC managers have set & to which Lambert should aspire.

• Like 1

Actions not words.

I think this is a complete misunderstanding of what is involved in supporting a club, particularly if you've been doing it long-term. It's perfectly possible to support a team passionately whenever they take the field in Villa shirts, yet still be critical and questioning about performance and skill levels, managerial decisions, investment strategy etc.

And, really, it would be a horrible world if that wasn't allowed, wouldn't it, and we all just had to keep our heads down and support the current manager on the basis that "he knows best"?

I wonder how Sunderland fans and the doings of Madmano di Canio fit into that world view?

At any time, the current chairman/board, manager and players are really just like stewards of the club they are involved with, and fans - particularly long term ones - will quite legitimately ask, "how well are they serving our club?"

I think it's much too early to answer that question about Lambert and his current squad, although this season is certainly looking better than last. Randy Lerner has been around long enough to be assessed and the judgement has to be: "probably well-meaning, but mediocre outcomes so far".

If it's OK with you, I'm going to continue to take a critical interest in how the club is progressing and not kowtow to the manager just because he's the manager. At the same time as cheering them on and following the emotional highs and lows of every match we play.

Oh, and it's probably not great to use phrases like "the hardcore few who still moan". It's good to work on the basis that everyone on here has an individual opinion that needs to be respected in its own right, even if it is completely bonkers.

It's not OK with me but I'm sure you will still do it anyway.

If you've supported this club long term, you will know that success is far outweighed by failure.

The Lerner era at present is not a million miles away from the Ellis era with DOL at the helm. Both managers under these regimes were forced to work with limited budgets.

The hardcore few who thrive on moaning will never change, their glasses will always be half empty.

Since Xmas, I can only think of Southampton (back in January) & Newcastle (January & recently) outside of the top 6 who have beaten us.

What exactly is there that makes you think theres something to criticise? I'm genuinely interested.

I'm not sure if you people have ever actually got yourselves involved in any form of sport but with the defeatist attitudes you portray on here, you would not have got very far. You would have lost before you started. When we have a manager like PDC then maybe that is the time to moan & criticise but there is no need for this at present as we are moving in the right direction. Presumptions are for the defeatist's amongst us who have lost before a ball has been kicked. Man City 2 weeks ago should have told you that we can compete. People need to start believing in the manager AND the team a bit more. Otherwise, point us to this benchmark that previous AVFC managers have set & to which Lambert should aspire.

I really like this manager, and do feel that he could be great for us, and I do not think that it is a `defeatist attitude' to support the club and the manager and to want them to do well, but to temper that with a wish to see how things go over time.

I have been fortunate to have supported this club since 1959 (yes - an oldtimer) and I am well used to the ups and downs of doing so, from League and European Cup winners to relegations, so i am wary of false dawns.

I think I am positive - I am always hopeful that better days are just around the corner.

Presumptions are for the defeatist's amongst us who have lost before a ball has been kicked

LOL 

The bottom line is we are going to be mid-table this season & we both know it. To argue otherwise on here is pointless.

tbh, L :D L

LO Fu##in L

I love how saddos on here analyse & dissect peoples posts

Mid table is hardly a presumption given the crock of shite below us & the quality of the sides in the top 7 is it?

FFS get a life

Oh dear...

so not a presumption then? more an assumption perhaps?

but who's splitting hairs.....

I actually have one eye on the Europa League tbh

I doubt we'll do it but with cup wins, it could go down another place. We are competing with mid table teams. I'd put ours against any of the others & results since Xmas suggest the same

If anyone wants to continue the tedious "we're not safe yet" drivel, they may as well include everyone in that bracket from Southampton downwards.

i'd hate to be stuck on a night out with these people, they'd have you wanting to slash your wrists by 9 o clock

• Like 2

Actions not words.

Briny, I share your sentiments entirely.

really good post ,that.

so not a presumption then? more an assumption perhaps?

but who's splitting hairs.....

I actually have one eye on the Europa League tbh

I doubt we'll do it but with cup wins, it could go down another place. We are competing with mid table teams. I'd put ours against any of the others & results since Xmas suggest the same

If anyone wants to continue the tedious "we're not safe yet" drivel, they may as well include everyone in that bracket from Southampton downwards.

i'd hate to be stuck on a night out with these people, they'd have you wanting to slash your wrists by 9 o clock

i'd hate to be stuck on a night out with these people, they'd have you wanting to slash your wrists by 9 o clock.

only if you allow the person you are out with to influence your thoughts, so you no longer have your own.

folk have every right to be critical as they have the right to be praise worthy when it is not always justified, which can be equally as gauling to some

these forums are to voice our opinions....doesn't mean to say we are right, we only think we are.