Paul Lambert

Pilchard

As ever I will judge at the end of the season.  Nothing stops you praising or criticising in the interim.  Just think alot of the newer signings will begin to shine second half of the season.  Big blow with Okore though.  He was key for us this season imo.

I agree mate but so far we've improved with a +3 points difference and +10 goal difference over the same fixtures last year so how people can say we're going backwards or not moving forwards is beyond me.

Just hope Lambert keeps it going for the next 5 fixtures in which we won just 1 of last year (swapping Hull for Reading).

Good read up here:

http://www.myoldmansaid.com/villa-fiver-aston-villa-results-compared-season/

That 0-8 last year though really skews those figures, I say like4like comparisons are probably not relevant until milestones of 25% 50% and 75% through a season and obviously final rankings. Just like a plc reports half yearly figures or quarterly updates for the bigger boys.

I'm getting a bit bored of reading about how last night is ok because the spurs team cost a lot more than ours.

That logic didn't work in last years semi finals did it?

.....And that the cost of players doesn't matter\influence how good they are.........[well at least until they line up against us !]

I'm getting a bit bored of reading about how last night is ok because the spurs team cost a lot more than ours.

That logic didn't work in last years semi finals did it?

.....And that the cost of players doesn't matter\influence how good they are.........[well at least until they line up against us !]

Depends. If I was another team I'd fear £7m Benteke lining up against me more than £15m (formerly £35m) Andy Carroll.

Edited by Mantis

For me, vlaar is one of lamberts Achilles heels (though he has many), but vlaar is a definite problem that I doubt lambert will ever figure out or choose to identify as a key issue.

I disagree. It showed last season when he was injured. He's poor if you compare him to the CBs of some top half teams but a Clark-Baker pairing would be worse IMO. Vlaar is OK for Villa's current level.

For me, vlaar is one of lamberts Achilles heels (though he has many), but vlaar is a definite problem that I doubt lambert will ever figure out or choose to identify as a key issue.

I disagree. It showed last season when he was injured. He's poor if you compare him to the CBs of some top half teams but a Clark-Baker pairing would be worse IMO. Vlaar is OK for Villa's current level.

Agree - Our dire run last season was when he got injured. Hes not the greatest by any means - but currently he is our most experienced and best CB.

He's part of the cause of our current level.

I think the reason the criticism is much more severe for Vlaar is because he the captain and lots of people want the captain to produce immense performance after immense performance. Probably not going to happen that often as he isn't THAT good but he certainly isn't rubbish either.

Makes me wonder what pissed him off at Norwich as they certainly have more freedom in spending than we do at moment.We have the history and are a bigger club but we are running on a championship budget at moment.

Whilst not blameless in slightest so think his hands are tied somewhat in buying players.

Food for thought regarding not improving from last season.

During that woeful run, we regularly fielded players like herd, bannan, Holman, Ireland, Bennet & Bowrey

The front 3 now picks itself (I still have faith in Weiman & believe a goal will help him no end)

A midfield 3 out of KEA, Delph, Westwood, Sylla

& a back 4 of Lowton, Moon, Vlaar & Okore

Is a vast improvement.

We will struggle to keep clean sheets with this system but we are more than capable of scoring & when the 3 strikers are all firing, we are quite a force.

I think to improve on any of those players would cost decent money. We should ask ourselves what figure we would expect if we were to sell one of them. We don't have this money so the only way forward is to bring the squad players on & develop them gradually.

I disagree that we need that creative midfielder-It would expose the defence further & I think we have enough firepower up front to get enough goals. Only when chasing a game should a more attacking midfielder be introduced. I also believe the midfield 3 are all capable of passing through teams & we've seen it on many occasions. That goal at Reading last season epitomised for me the way that we try to play.

We are moving in the right direction & if we can improve the home form then who knows what can be achieved?

I do think we should wait until at least xmas before casting all these judgements - We did win on Saturday after all. This place would have probably gone into meltdown if we'd lost.

Makes me wonder what pissed him off at Norwich as they certainly have more freedom in spending than we do at moment.We have the history and are a bigger club but we are running on a championship budget at moment.

Whilst not blameless in slightest so think his hands are tied somewhat in buying players.

Didn't we spend about £15m in the summer? I mean, it's not tons but it's far from a Championship budget.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

When you spend c 20 million on the likes of bent with his limitations....it's not just the size of the budget that's the problem.its more to do with the quality of the signing.

There are oodles of examples of players like sissoko signed for 2.2 mill

We simply sign lightweight midfielders in the main.

Edited by TRO

Of course he's better thsn Clark or Baker, they're defenders that currently wouldn't get in to the team of pretty much any other PL team.

Vlaar is on par for a relegation battling club, and nothing more. I'm not sure he's any better than Dunne or Collins.

I know it easy to pick out the perfect player as an example, but you must have a standard to aim for.

When are we going to attempt to get players with the "feet" of the likes of Dwight Yorke.

Alex Ferguson never just signed him for his number of goals, it was his quality of footwork that fitted snugly in to the Man U way

In my view we have to embrace the quick footwork and thought and move away a little from this frenetic gungo style of counter attacking....it simply lacks substance.

Edited by TRO

When you spend c 20 million on the likes of bent with his limitations....it's not just the size of the budget that's the problem.its more to do with the quality of the signing.

There are oodles of examples of players like sissoko signed for 2.2 mill

We simply sign lightweight midfielders in the main.

I think in fairness, Sissoko is on around £40K a week