Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I still think our midfield is one of the poorest in the division. The system they are deployed in doesn't help of course.

I was at the game yesterday & afterwards, had an interesting chat with our group & another group of Villa fans.

I'm sitting on the fence on this one. I believe Delph is potetially turning in to a top midfielder (he is still only 23 & miseed almost 2 years through injury),  and that KEA, Westwood & Sylla are all moving in the right direction. Are they good enough to get into a top 8 side at present? (Liverpool/Everton/Spurs) ? I'm not sure.

Someone mentioned the system we play & I think this should be considered. With the 2 wide forwards as well as Benteke, we are a man light in midfield. This leaves our full backs exposed a lot as Bennet & Lowton found last year & Luna is discovering this year. The system provides great entertainment but clean sheets will be few & far between. A solid, defensive minded 3 is essential in this system so forget about the luxuary of a playmaker in there.

Anyone unhappy should ask themselves if they prefer the more cautios approach of our previous manager where wingers were deployed but were forbidden to cross into the opponents half of the field.

We are not going to tear up trees on the transfer budget that Lambert has to work with. We are doing something about quality of football played on the pitch & this is the reason that I support our midfielders,defenders & manager in what they are trying to achive.

We are supposed to be good away and we were poor against one of the poorer sides in the league - we were lucky.

We are looking the same side that we were first half of last season, but with a little more confidence, however still not good enough to win games. Lambert still has a lot of work to do home and away.

We are supposed to be good away and we were poor against one of the poorer sides in the league - we were lucky.

We are looking the same side that we were first half of last season, but with a little more confidence, however still not good enough to win games. Lambert still has a lot of work to do home and away.

But we won the game?

• Like 1

I'm sure Lambert knows all this but will still need a couple more windows to address all the problem areas. That's why we shouldn't expect any higher than 10th to 12th this season, and I can't see Lambert's downfall happening any time soon.

Depends what you mean by his downfall. I doubt Lerner would sack him, as he would have to put time and effort into getting a replacement. 

Its early days, but IMO Lambert hasn't recruited enough quality this summer. The midfield has no spark, Luna is only marginally better than Bennett - TBH I don't think it was a great window for Lambert. 

If a run of defeats is classed as a downfall - that's entirely feasible IMO.

But we won the game?

Perhaps a poor choice of words, 'boss' games might be better, but either way we look far from convincing and even regressed from the team we were towards the end of last season and even the start of our season. The only improvement for me was we got out the blocks quickly whereas we usually take 20 minutes before we look like we are in the same game.

Norwich are very good at home - only lost twice there in 2013 I think, both of them to us.

And of course you can only beat what's in front of you.

Norwich are very good at home - only lost twice there in 2013 I think, both of them to us.

And of course you can only beat what's in front of you.

A valid point made (Norwich were disappointing too), but it's not the result of one match but the way the team is playing and general progression. It may be just down to a few poor individual performances, let's hope so, but I am not confident at the moment that we won't be solidly in the bottom half of the table in the second half of the season.

We did not play well against Norwich. Period.

However, what we saw was very encouraging:

- Different formation: More of a 4-4-2 (or 4-4-1-1) with Wieman and Tonev providing the width and dropping very deep with our fullbacks tucking inside (at least defensively).

- Full debuts for 2 players: Tonev and Bacuna

- Decent hit out for Kozak and Helenius

Given our formation change, blooding new faces and the fact that Norwich are usually strong at home the result was an excellent one, albeit the game was not easy on the eye. We do need to graft out games when needed and I thought we did just that.

Good stuff.

• Like 1

To be fair it is way to early to judge the team, there is not any team at present who are standing out apart from Man C. Spuds only just won yesterday having to grind out a win, this time of year is about getting into a rhythm and building up the points tally, Newcastle beat us and lost the weekend, after 5 games we are 6 points off top. It will be after about ten games when things start to settle and you can start to judge the team. I will reserve judgement until Christmas and see how we fair after playing most of the teams. After Christmas when injuries and suspensions start having a major effect will be when we see how the new players fit in and how well PL has balanced the game time and squad rotation. We may not be playing the best at the moment but as long as we keep getting points then we will improve on our style and hopefully not be looking over our shoulders too much..

Watch the game with your other eye - we won.

I'm sure Lambert knows all this but will still need a couple more windows to address all the problem areas. That's why we shouldn't expect any higher than 10th to 12th this season, and I can't see Lambert's downfall happening any time soon.

Depends what you mean by his downfall. I doubt Lerner would sack him, as he would have to put time and effort into getting a replacement. 

Its early days, but IMO Lambert hasn't recruited enough quality this summer. The midfield has no spark, Luna is only marginally better than Bennett - TBH I don't think it was a great window for Lambert. 

I find it amazing that some are already thinking about and seemingly wanting his downfall?? how bizzare.

kozak has already proved your wrong really, and okre was an improvement on the defense, bacuna also looks like a top addition.

I give up on here sometimes, everyone slating the team that we cannot keep a clean sheet or have a plan B. We go and play against a side that basically don't lose at home give a gritty performance keep a clean sheet and people still want to moan.

Edited by villan_007
  • Like 1

villan_007 has it right about the amount of moaning that 'supporters' do.

I think that most of the problem is to do with people wanting it all now, not in two or three seasons time, never mind in ten years from now.

People want results, no matter how the team play and yet, when the team get a result people want to see a well crafted game.

That all comes in time and supporters have to be patient, ready to take the downs with the ups.

I have no worries about the manager we have at the present time.

I am sure he will get things wrong sometimes but, I'm equally sure that he will get things right the majority of the time.

My suggestion is to sit back and enjoy the ride.

I don't think we were outstanding at Norwich but were weren't as poor as people make out. In the first half our attacking play was fantastic at times. In the second half we defended well. People rubbish Norwich but they don't loose many games at home. The last side to beat them at home was? I bet they beat a lot of sides there this season.

Since the beginning of last season only 4 clubs have beaten Norwich at Carrow road - Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea and us. I really don't understand this place sometimes. Reactions like last week are understandable if a bit over the top from some, but this is just bizarre.

FFS how can you judge the summer signings already? I mean Jesus Christ give them half a season at least. :bang:

Let's not forget that it was around this time last year that Benteke was being labeled by some as the next Heskey or the next Balaban.

It's absolute madness and there seems to be this eagerness on here to write off players as soon as possible.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 2

Since the beginning of last season only 4 clubs have beaten Norwich at Carrow road - Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea and us. I really don't understand this place sometimes. Reactions like last week are understandable if a bit over the top from some, but this is just bizarre.

FFS how can you judge the summer signings already? I mean Jesus Christ give them half a season at least. :bang:

Let's not forget that it was around this time last year that Benteke was being labeled by some as the next Heskey or the next Balaban.

It's absolute madness and there seems to be this eagerness on here to write off players as soon as possible.

Weve had this discussion before. If we waited until everything was cast iron certaintity there wouldn't be much to discuss. I am basing my opinion of the summer signings on the fact that in the main - these players weren't pulling up any trees at there former clubs - and in pre season + prem games I don't think they have brought much improvement to the first 11. - If they start putting in sterling performances, and catapault up the league, I will hold my hand up and say I was wrong. Thats my opinion as of today - if you want half a season before expressing an opinion thats fine - But Im going on what I have seen so far.

Weve had this discussion before. If we waited until everything was cast iron certaintity there wouldn't be much to discuss. I am basing my opinion of the summer signings on the fact that in the main - these players weren't pulling up any trees at there former clubs - and in pre season + prem games I don't think they have brought much improvement to the first 11. - If they start putting in sterling performances, and catapault up the league, I will hold my hand up and say I was wrong. Thats my opinion as of today - if you want half a season before expressing an opinion thats fine - But Im going on what I have seen so far.

I'm not saying you shouldn't comment on players before they've had a while to settle in, just that it's wrong to judge them definitively so early.

Edited by Mantis

Weve had this discussion before. If we waited until everything was cast iron certaintity there wouldn't be much to discuss. I am basing my opinion of the summer signings on the fact that in the main - these players weren't pulling up any trees at there former clubs

A little unfair i'd say

Helenius second top scorer in his league

Kozak top scorer in a european competition for his team

Okore sought after by Chelsea who at the time were european champions

Steer young back up goalie

Tonev highly rated young player from Bulgaria

Bacuna many people's MOTM on Saturday

Edited by Richard
  • Like 2

But it doesn't make any sense !!!!!!

You have explained your position and the reasons but it doesn't mean it is a sensible thing to do. 

It may make sense - although personally I would still wait and see - to comment on performances in particular games, or particuular events, but how can it possibly make sense to make sweeping judgements on players and purchases after almost no time ? 

What sort of discussion can it ever be when by definition it based on a tiny amount of evidence ?

Its like those peole that find a fossilised toenail and 'construct' an entire new species of animal around what they have (not) seen.

Our lack of quality in central midfield and defence will continue to cost us until it is addressed and if it is not then it may eventually be Lambert's downfall.

That's a bit trite, as we arguably have world class players in goal and up front and you've identified every other area as in need of improvement. Yes, it'll cost us points not having world class players available in every position but very few teams do have world class players in all positions.

The only players we have that actually makes me nervous when we play (as in I'd like reinforcement in January unless things improve in the coming months) is left back, because I'm not convinced by Luna nor Bennett defensively yet.

EDIT - to clarify, the term "world class" in this instance used to mean "Champions-league class", so essentially a player most teams would covet.

We have an excellent keeper and front man (Benteke). Gabby can be very good on his day but he can also be very inconsistent. I would deem the rest of our 1st team at the moment at no better than average Premiership players.

You term world class as being CL standard and if that is the case how many teams playing regularly in the CL actually came in for the above named players? 

No-one expects us to attract top quality players at this moment in our transition but thats not to say we could still attract or purchase better quality than we currently have. We are too lightweight in midfield which is unbalanced and not dominant enough at the back and while its still too early to say for sure i'm not convinced that our current crop of players are going to be good enough to push us on.

Edited by Morpheus
  • Like 1