Paul Lambert

Pilchard

No one was more excited than me when he joined. The one nagging doubt was the defensive abilities of his teams - a doubt that has steadily grown. I don't think he will ever sort it to be honest - and we are now plodding towards a convenient time for a parting of the ways.

Thats not calling for his head - But I will be surprised if his time here is remembered for for much more than relegation battles and wondering if Bentekes goals can save us. 

Well that escalated quickly. "Parting of the ways?" Really?

Ive not known managers on such a poor run of form 

What?

3 losses in a row; 2 of which could have so easily been different and you've not known managers for us in worse form? In 40 years following the Villa? Overreaction surely?

I am totally behind this guy and am prepared go with him...but I could have strangled him on Saturday.

I am not with the "go again" or " they have given me everything" because it is a bit patronising and too simplistic and lacks any indication that the manager is aware of the problems.

WE expect the players to give everything and we know you have to lift yourself for the next game....it's like night follows day.

IF we are in this together perhaps a bit of honesty and openness can go a long way....I understand certain things can' t be said in fear of information getting in to the hands of the opposition.

The greatest of managers make mistakes, it's just nice to know they know they have made some.

I think most Villa fans absolutely realise that the `Lambert Project` is still a massive work in progress. We will have more set backs I'm sure & losing Okore for the rest of the season is undoubtedly a massive blow & a real kick in the teeth. However, Lambo showed how fortune favours the brave last season & I expect him to carry on in the same fashion again & throw caution to the wind because that ultimately is his style.

I still feel positive about this season & still feel we will fair better than we did last year. We've had a really tough start but we can & will `Go Again.` I think most fans would feel happy if we finished only a couple of places higher than last season as it would mark season on season progress & give us all hope for a better future.

Lambert will deliver & in style.

Keep The Faith.

It shows how far standards have fallen here at Villa that being played off the park in one half and having most of the ball without really doing anything with it in the other is now chalked down by many as a good performance.

It shows how far standards have fallen here at Villa that being played off the park in one half and having most of the ball without really doing anything with it in the other is now chalked down by many as a good performance.

..........it takes all sorts.

We all see it differently.

Ps but I agree

Edited by TRO

Yep agreed. Liverpool won at a canter.

Liverpool had one shot on target the entire match (unless I fell asleep which is entirely possible). If the FA were able to hand out zero points to both teams then that game would have easily qualified.

Wouldn't say it was a good performance but I wouldn't call it a bad one either. As much as I hate to admit it Liverpool are a good team.

I think most Villa fans absolutely realise that the `Lambert Project` is still a massive work in progress. We will have more set backs I'm sure & losing Okore for the rest of the season is undoubtedly a massive blow & a real kick in the teeth. However, Lambo showed how fortune favours the brave last season & I expect him to carry on in the same fashion again & throw caution to the wind because that ultimately is his style.

I still feel positive about this season & still feel we will fair better than we did last year. We've had a really tough start but we can & will `Go Again.` I think most fans would feel happy if we finished only a couple of places higher than last season as it would mark season on season progress & give us all hope for a better future.

Lambert will deliver & in style.

Keep The Faith.

Sometimes what you call throwing caution to the wind sems more like pissing in the wind.

I'd agree with that to an extent Mantis and it certainly wasn't terrible but I can't take many positives from a game with such an insipid first half display and a second half display that brutally exposed our lack of quality in the final third.

However, Lambo showed how fortune favours the brave last season & I expect him to carry on in the same fashion again & throw caution to the wind because that ultimately is his style.

The problem with that though is it is our Premier League status he is gambling by doing so. Also never got the argument that just by keeping us up last season he somehow has justified his entire approach. Just as he gets credit for the good end of season run, he gets criticism for the run that left us in the bottom three in the first place. He will only prove himself properly by progressing the club over a number of seasons. Which is why this season will be such an important indicator of this.

Back to your 'fortune favours the brave' comments. Try telling that to Wigan fans. Not really any different, Martinez was usually under pressure around January with calls for him to pay more attention to the defence and change their playing style etc. They would then hit form in the last ten games, stay-up and Martinez would be hailed as a great manager. Martinez never progressed the team though and eventually it caught up on them. That could easily be us in a year or two and I for one won't be content about going down just because we played the 'right-way'. In fact I'd rather stay up playing like Stoke rather then go down playing like Barcelona. It should also be pointed out that at least Martinez had the excuse of having an extremely small budget. So does Lambert in context but it dwarfs anything that a club like Wigan had. Lambert has still spent circa £40m in two seasons. Did Martinez even spend £40m in his entire time at Wigan?

I think most fans would feel happy if we finished only a couple of places higher than last season

13th? Well it depends on how we finish 13th. Remember that we could've finished 13th (or even higher) on the final day last season. If we finish around 13th but are involved in a dogfight for large portions of the season then no, I doubt hardly any fans will be happy with that.

• Like 2

I think I just wanted an excuse to post this video, but if you look at the picture at the 1:25 point you can see Lambert in the bottom right hand corner. Just a little reminder of what a good player he was, but this is more about how awesome Dortmund and their marketing department are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVU_0UdmraM#t=86

Edit: I don't know how to make the video show up in the post so I just put the link.

Edited by Rovers13

This is why I don't understand the doomsday predictions off one game. We do realize things change, right? When you have a guy in charge who has a quite fantastic record in management, it's not like things are just going to stay like they were against Newcastle. That performance isn't the apex of what this side can achieve. Everyone who's been ripping him for playing that 4-3-3 against Newcastle ripped him for trying a 4-4-2 and not staying with the same 4-3-3 (the one they're now criticizing) that he then reverted to, and then they ripped him for going to the 4-3-3.

He also has a history of making players perform better under him than they ever have in their careers, like Grant Holt and others at Norwich.

Also, for people that say he should've signed a creative player because Villa's issue at home is breaking sides down, I'm not so sure about that either. There were 13 games where Villa were shut out last year. 7 were away and 6 were at home. And three of those six at home came over four games during that distastrous winter period.

The goal difference at home was also way better than the road goal difference, and only one extra point was gained on the road, with the goal tally in each nearly identical.

Liverpool hardly 'hung-on' in the second-half, they came out after half-time happy to sit back and give us possession knowing full-well that we lacked the quality to break them down.

Considering we scored 3 against them at their place last year, I doubt they 'full-well' knew that we had the quality to break them down.

• Like 1

This is why I don't understand the doomsday predictions off one game. We do realize things change, right? When you have a guy in charge who has a quite fantastic record in management, it's not like things are just going to stay like they were against Newcastle. That performance isn't the apex of what this side can achieve. Everyone who's been ripping him for playing that 4-3-3 against Newcastle ripped him for trying a 4-4-2 and not staying with the same 4-3-3 (the one they're now criticizing) that he then reverted to, and then they ripped him for going to the 4-3-3.

He also has a history of making players perform better under him than they ever have in their careers, like Grant Holt and others at Norwich.

Also, for people that say he should've signed a creative player because Villa's issue at home is breaking sides down, I'm not so sure about that either. There were 13 games where Villa were shut out last year. 7 were away and 6 were at home. And three of those six at home came over four games during that distastrous winter period.

The goal difference at home was also way better than the road goal difference, and only one extra point was gained on the road, with the goal tally in each nearly identical.

I'm scratching my head a bit at these stats.

What exactly is a "shut out"? We lost 9 games at home last season and 8 away, so I can't match our actual performance stats with what you say.

The important thing is that we saw Villa struggling to break down mid-table sides at home last season, time and time again. The stats seem to back this up. We only managed 5 wins and 5 draws out of 19 games - 20 points out of 57 - and this is simply not good enough. It's obvious to anyone who has watched the home games that we need a creative midfielder.

Not sure what your stats mean or how they show we don't need a creative midfielder.

I would also question your judgement that we "have a guy in charge who has a quite fantastic record in management".

He has been a promising young manager who was probably the best available at the time we were looking. But your description of his record is a bit OTT, don't you think? Also, tested by the much more difficult job of managing Villa, he has shown a few flaws we didn't see before and stumbled a few times.  Although we can hardly blame him for struggling with the task at Villa!

I disagree tottally.  All about opinions of course.  And facts.  Have another look at the Match - I have  - and the Match Stats - I have. Anyone who thinks Liverpool were deliberately getting penned in can't have been watching their players, their manager, or the game. 

Anyway, it is opinions, but the fact is two goals in the two games against Chelsea and Liverpool is the sum total separating us from them.

That is why I despair at the overreactions.

• Like 1

Liverpool had one shot on target the entire match (unless I fell asleep which is entirely possible). If the FA were able to hand out zero points to both teams then that game would have easily qualified.

They didn't need anymore, we had three. What good did it do us ?

Once they scored they sat back knowing full well we wouldn't hurt them. And we didn't. Classic display by them

I'd agree with that to an extent Mantis and it certainly wasn't terrible but I can't take many positives from a game with such an insipid first half display and a second half display that brutally exposed our lack of quality in the final third.

Many teams will fail to score against Liverpool - that is what Rodgers does best.

Does that mean they all will be 'brutallly exposed for their lack of quality' ?  Did Man City failing to score the other day at Stoke 'brutally expose their lack of quality '. ?

So over the top and knee jerk it defies belief.

At the end of last season we were the third goal scorers in the league !

Now we're fourth with Swansea and Liverpool ..

I'm seeing were the concern is coming from .. But we have a good attacking record without a proper AM ..