• Ireland
    • Delph
    • Bannan
    • N'Zogbia
    • Benteke
    • Agbonlahor
    • Bent (for Bannan 62)
    • Weimann (for Bennett 70)

Welcome to the new rant section of Villa Talk!

As for last night, although there were certain players who were not close to good enough, I will actually blame Lambert most of all last night.

The line up confused me, as it did not suggest a coherent shape to the team. Barcelona get away with it, but they are good with good players. We can't and didn't.

Ireland, N'Zogbia, Gabby and Bannan all seemed to have a 'floating' role, with only Benteke and Delph having an actual role to play outside of the defense. This was massively exacerbated in the second half when we lost a miniscule of creativity from Bannan (who at least kept the ball moving in the first half) for the statue that was Bent, and worse still when we lost some width in the team by replacing Bennett. At this point Bradford only had to deal with a frontal attack, and they did. So for the, the tactics were shocking, and if PL planned this, we have a problem. If the players did not know what they were doing, we have a problem.

Bennett made a couple of mistakes early on with passes, and a few in the crowd got on his back and his head dropped. After the played the cross for Benteke's goals, half the team rushed to him - he is clearly struggling with confidence, and I think too many fans are quick to get on at him, instead of trying to support him.

Finally, congrats to Bradford. We were shite across 3 halves of football, but they could only beat what was put in front of them.

Just back from my trip down to Brum. Great snowball fight at Aston station. Other than that...............

On a serious note it was woeful. Really woeful.

Unable to complete the easiest of passes.

Unable to defend set pieces.

Unable to run into space.

Unable to lose a marker - infact we do the opposite - we go and be marked.

Said it a number of times over the last few weeks. These are the very basic principles of football. No investment, no change in manager is going to change this. The last 3 years have proven it. In fact the 4 points above apply to most of the last 2 decades, although we have never been quite this bad.

All that said, I would have no problem with Lambert getting the sack. It would do no good or no bad really. Think hes hanging on because I cant take another month of a new manager thread with people not realising that the list of potential manager is shite, because we are shite!!!

He wasn't criticising.

And in fact he spent most of the first half saying how fantastic the atmosphere was.

He was just making an innocent observation. He goes to a few games a season, despite not being a Villa fan, so it's not like it was his first time.

Anyway, point is it wasn't a criticism. And neither was my point. It was merely an observation that that agressive atmosphere probably doesn't help, especially for a young team lacking in confidence.

The fans have the right to say whatever they want (within reason) imo. But doesn't mean the fans are immune to criticism either.

Fair enough.

Just feels like the fans are always being targetted from one quarter or another; pundits last season ripping into us for wanting McLeish gone, saying we weren't giving him a chance due to his Blues connection (rubbish).

This season any criticism would be even more unjust, with the vast, vast majority of fans at games getting behind Paul Lambert and the team, impressive given the circumstances.

Welcome to the new rant section of Villa Talk!

As for last night, although there were certain players who were not close to good enough, I will actually blame Lambert most of all last night.

The line up confused me, as it did not suggest a coherent shape to the team. Barcelona get away with it, but they are good with good players. We can't and didn't.

Ireland, N'Zogbia, Gabby and Bannan all seemed to have a 'floating' role, with only Benteke and Delph having an actual role to play outside of the defense. This was massively exacerbated in the second half when we lost a miniscule of creativity from Bannan (who at least kept the ball moving in the first half) for the statue that was Bent, and worse still when we lost some width in the team by replacing Bennett. At this point Bradford only had to deal with a frontal attack, and they did. So for the, the tactics were shocking, and if PL planned this, we have a problem. If the players did not know what they were doing, we have a problem.

Bennett made a couple of mistakes early on with passes, and a few in the crowd got on his back and his head dropped. After the played the cross for Benteke's goals, half the team rushed to him - he is clearly struggling with confidence, and I think too many fans are quick to get on at him, instead of trying to support him.

Finally, congrats to Bradford. We were shite across 3 halves of football, but they could only beat what was put in front of them.

100% agree with that. Fans are all too quick to bang on about supporting the club and getting behind the team. So how does verbally abusing Bennett help with that?

Just back from my trip down to Brum. Great snowball fight at Aston station. Other than that...............

Which side were you? It was a larf.

Regarding the fans, I pay my money for my ST, I've been to every cup home game this season, I reserve my right to say whatever I want. I was chanting throughout, but after their goal went in, i felt sick and I just didn't have any desire to get behind a bunch of bottlers. Some guy had a go at me for shouting f*** off Lambert, because apparently he's innocent in all this and it's just Lerner's fault. He said that as he was leaving in the 85th minute. Can't say that bollocks if you're leaving early you prat.

It got to a point last night where I felt it would easier for us to go out of existence because I am fed up to the core of being humiliated week after week. There's no way I would ever not watch every single game (whether it be live or on stream for away games) because I was born a Villa fan so if we didn't exist then there's an easy way out. There's a certain amount of emotional involvement you put in and it hurts every time we have a disappointing result.

I've slept on it, and we can't get rid of Lambert. As much as want him gone, I don't trust the board to make a competent hire.

This is the lowest I've ever felt as a football fan and I don't see any resolution.

i got the email too, if they invest in the team, get a game plan and lower the prices i may just go to one of the many home games left this season.

£39 for me and £20 for my kid to watch over payed asses coast through a game they should have been busting a gut in. we could go to Telford for £16 for both of us and see players who make up for the lack of skill with a shitload of effort and desire, qualities that are missing from our gutless prima donna's

Which side were you? It was a larf.

The side going to New Street. I particularly enjoyed the women on the other side who was having a go at us. We were getting peltered by snowballs from all angles and she was shouting 'you dont have to copy this lot' as we threw them back

i got the email too, if they invest in the team, get a game plan and lower the prices i may just go to one of the many home games left this season.

£39 for me and £20 for my kid to watch over payed asses coast through a game they should have been busting a gut in. we could go to Telford for £16 for both of us and see players who make up for the lack of skill with a shitload of effort and desire, qualities that are missing from our gutless prima donna's

£16 quid for Telford is as expensive as £39 for Villa is.

I wont be paying either any time soon.

Oh, on a side note. Hope the person who got stretchered away in the lower holte on about 40 mins is ok? Best wishes. Anyone see if they were ok?

Was on the radio he had a heart attack after we scored.

Recovering in hospital.

£16 quid for Telford is as expensive as £39 for Villa is.

I wont be paying either any time soon.

£16 is for both of us, £59 + fuel + car park charge + £7 for 2x chips and curry sauce to watch a "team" with no plan other than to pass sideways was an expensive and disappointing night out. Oh i forgot, at least we got a little flag for free, thats something i suppose.

Edited by hycus-flange

£16 is for both of us, £59 + fuel + car park charge + £7 for 2x chips and curry sauce to watch a "team" with no plan other than to pass sideways was an expensive and disappointing night out.

Aye its not good.

Me and my dad went to the Baggies (h) game. Couple of burgers, a bit of a bet, I bought a top, tickets and petrol - No change out of £200 for a pretty mediocre premiership clash which happens to have been one of our better games this season.

Vlaar didnt look at the ball from the corner. Utter Garbage.

Nice to see Lambert switching to a 1-1-8 after we conceded.

And the fans are silly for criticising Bennett, hes looked so much better recently, despite his mistake vs Hines, which made me want to donkey punch him.

But Weimann should have started, I have had more girlfriends than Gabby has had shot on goals this season.

Â