A night at the opera (Actually NOT Queen)

Pelle

Well, for real. I'm going to watch Turandot tomorrow. The missus likes opera very much so I gave her that for a christmas present. For two reasons:

1: I knew she'd be very happy as she hasn't been able to go and watch an opera for many years. And she was overwhelmed so it's already worth it. :)

2: I don't listen to it myself, but thought that I have to see at least one in my lifetime so this is a good opportunity.

Now, is there anyone in here who likes opera and/or has seen Turandot? She says that Puccini's among the most easy listening opera writers and a good one to start with. And her favourite. I don't really know what to expect.

Edited by bickster

opera is fantastic in my eyes. most people either love it or hate it. And its not a class thing as some thing. I have seen people in jeans and T shirts with tears of emotion rolling down their cheeks, Likewise I have seen people in the posh boxes talking all the way through, And it is so much better live. And earn yourself brownie points, don't mention Italia 90 when Nessun Dorma is sang

I love instrumental classical music with a passion, but I absolutely do not get opera. I just hate that affected style of singing. In [foreign language] it's incomprehensible, in English it just sounds downright ludicrous.

First opera I saw was Don Giovanni when I was about 19 and whilst I didn't love it I didn't hate it either so will go and watch it now and again when the mood takes... Impressed my footie mates at a quiz one time when I knew the answer to "name beethovens only opera "as I'd been to see it the week before , which needless to say they weren't impressed with :-)

Best opera I ever saw was in Venice though , saw the barber of Seville in a small intimate venue with an audience of about 20-25 people , you get to sit in amongst the orchestra and you changes rooms during the different acts so for the bedroom scene you all walk through with the characters ... When it came to one act Figero was actually leaning against me at some points whilst he was singing , seriously If I ever needed to impress a chick who liked opera that would be the place I'd take her ... In fact I'm convinced the performance I went to would convert someone who hated opera as well..

• Like 1

Thanks for the answers, mates. :) And if Tony likes it then I just have to like it as I can't stand him being more cultural than me. ;)

I think it used to be a class thing before, a kind of aristocratic higher form of entertainment, but music isn't about class. Apart from maybe some form of music where the lyrics are far more important than the actual music.

Already done that, Rob. ;)

Well, I hope I like it cause I told her that Carmen is going up here in the spring and she said that we have to go and watch it. But it's bombastic and maybe unsurprisingly enough I like bombastic music. And one thing with opera is that you won't get a part in it if you can't sing. Unlike that indie pop thing. ;)

opera is fantastic in my eyes. most people either love it or hate it. And its not a class thing as some thing. I have seen people in jeans and T shirts with tears of emotion rolling down their cheeks, Likewise I have seen people in the posh boxes talking all the way through, And it is so much better live. And earn yourself brownie points, don't mention Italia 90 when Nessun Dorma is sang

She should be earning herself brownie points by mentioning Italia 90 when Nessun Dorma is playing. Maybe then he'll let her do him up the wrong un?

I saw the title, saw who posted it and was about to... but my assumption was wrong! :mrgreen:

I expect it'll be better than Queen... marginally ;)

Devil and Deep Blue sea, that one. Cripes, a really unpleasant :o dilemma. I think I'd go with the Opera, just about. :wacko: unless Icould sneak out, somehow :ph34r:

:lol: Well, it was a nice experience. We'll probably go again. Was quite surprised that this piece was in it:

Not as good as with Pavarotti but good enough and it made me shiver.Beautifull.

Â