U.S. Politics

maqroll

29 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Traditional military Hawks like Rick Perry? :D

I was actually thinking more about McMaster. From what I have read he and Bannon were squaring off and Bannon has obviously lost out. 

Edit: I meant McMaster rather than Mattis. Interesting that he started out with Flynn and Bannon, both pro Russia, but now has traditional security council advisors in place. 

Edited by LondonLax

14 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I wonder if the switching up of Bannon (with his Russian sympathies) for traditional military hawks on the security council has something to do with this recent anti-Assad talk.

I think he was quite happy to let Assad and the Russians crack on in Syria, it's the use of chemical weapons (after Kerry's deal with Lavrov to get rid of Assad's chemical weapons) that has put Trump in a corner and he has no option but to respond - I can't imagine him being too subtle about it either.

That said I agree with you that Bannon being moved out of the NSC is a very significant and positive development. 

Edit: far as I know Mattis was already on the NSC, I think it was the Head of the Joint Chiefs who was dropped for Bannon to take a seat. Incredible really. 

Edited by Awol
To add

12 minutes ago, Awol said:

I can't imagine him being too subtle about it either

lets hope he gets a bloody move on  ..presumably the "red line " still applies ?

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

lets hope he gets a bloody move on  ..presumably the "red line " still applies ?

Trump: 'Assad's "crossed many, many lines... beyond a red line".' 

That's pretty categorical. 

Ironically it's the USS George W Bush carrier battle group that's out here at the moment...

Nunes recuses himself from the HIC Russia investiogation.

His statement is beyond childish.

Several leftwing activist groups have filed accusations against me with the Office of Congressional Ethics. The charges are entirely false and politically motivated, and are being leveled just as the American people are beginning to learn the truth about the improper unmasking of the identities of U.S. citizens and other abuses of power. Despite the baselessness of the charges, I believe it is in the best interests of the House Intelligence Committee and the Congress for me to have Representative Mike Conaway, with assistance from Representatives Trey Gowdy and Tom Rooney, temporarily take charge of the Committee's Russia investigation while the House Ethics Committee looks into this matter. I will continue to fulfill all my other responsibilities as Committee Chairman, and I am requesting to speak to the Ethics Committee at the earliest possible opportunity in order to expedite the dismissal of these false claims."

Pathetic.

On the other hand, Bannon yesterday, Nunes today.

I wonder if Trump supporters are tired from all of the winning yet...

Several leftwing activist groups have filed accusations against me with the Office of Congressional Ethics. The charges are entirely false and politically motivated, and are being leveled just as the American people are beginning to learn the truth about the improper unmasking of the identities of U.S. citizens and other abuses of power. 

Yeah, that's the most important thing people are interested in Devin. 

5 hours ago, LondonLax said:

I was actually thinking more about McMaster. From what I have read he and Bannon were squaring off and Bannon has obviously lost out. 

Edit: I meant McMaster rather than Mattis. Interesting that he started out with Flynn and Bannon, both pro Russia, but now has traditional security council advisors in place. 

McMaster won't suffer fools, and Bannon is just a crazy old drunken one. McMaster will check Trump every time he can, too, he's not a sycophant.

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

Several leftwing activist groups have filed accusations against me with the Office of Congressional Ethics. The charges are entirely false and politically motivated, and are being leveled just as the American people are beginning to learn the truth about the improper unmasking of the identities of U.S. citizens and other abuses of power. 

The White House officials who illegally unmasked Nunes as under investigation by the FBI to the New York Post have been named as  Ezra Cohen-Watnick and Michael Ellis.

Such breaches of security relating to FBI investigations can be prosecuted as felonies: the consequences of which can include disenfranchisement.

Director Comey said, when questioned by Trey Gowdy, that such things were so secret that he could neither confirm or deny that the leak was under investigation.

10 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

The White House officials who illegally unmasked Nunes as under investigation by the FBI to the New York Post have been named as  Ezra Cohen-Watnick and Michael Ellis.

Such breaches of security relating to FBI investigations can be prosecuted as felonies: the consequences of which can include disenfranchisement.

Director Comey said, when questioned by Trey Gowdy, that such things were so secret that he could neither confirm or deny that the leak was under investigation.

Cohen-Watnick was hired by Flynn. When Flynn was canned (sorry resigned) Cohen-Watnick didn't go with him at the behest of Kushner. Now why is someone so close to Kushner illegally unmasking Nunes?

This is going to end up with prosecutions on both sides, a huge loss of faith in American democracy and the institution of the President (at a minimum).

The Russians have pulled off one of the most incredible information operations since D-Day, literally epic in its effect.

You also have to wonder if Putin has put Assad up to carrying out this gas attack in Syria just to screw Trump even further. 

The GOP go nuclear to push Gorsuch through. Disgraceful party stealing the SCOTUS seat from the Dems (centrist candidate with glowing endorsements from GOP members) then changing the rules for good because the Dems blocked them.

2018 midterms can't come soon enough.

1 hour ago, Awol said:

You also have to wonder if Putin has put Assad up to carrying out this gas attack in Syria just to screw Trump even further. 

That was my immediate thought when I first heard about it. 

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

The GOP go nuclear to push Gorsuch through. Disgraceful party stealing the SCOTUS seat from the Dems (centrist candidate with glowing endorsements from GOP members) then changing the rules for good because the Dems blocked them.

2018 midterms can't come soon enough.

Dems moved first during Obama's term. Payback and such. I don't see the problem as it's not like it's a functional democracy anyway.

3 hours ago, Awol said:

This is going to end up with prosecutions on both sides, a huge loss of faith in American democracy and the institution of the President (at a minimum).

The Russians have pulled off one of the most incredible information operations since D-Day, literally epic in its effect.

Evidence please, both now and the 2013 event.

5 minutes ago, villakram said:

Evidence please, both now and the 2013 event.

I wasn't there so that's a bit tricky, all we have to go on are eyewitness reports of air attack followed by mass casualties suffering from nerve agent poisoning - independently verified by MSF-UK. 

Who operates military aircraft in Syria? Could have been the Russians but that seems very unlikely. If you eliminate what can't be true it leaves you with few options.  

If the US tries to topple Assad by sending in the military, the worms might not be able to get back in the can. However, Trump is clearly in Putin's pocket, so an armed confrontation between US-Russia looks unlikely at this point. Trump unwittingly doing more for world peace than Obama ever did, lol.

But if Trump gets ousted from the WH, and Pence gets in there, or Ryan, or even Hillary, John McCain will be walking around with a torpedo in his pants just waiting to spearhead the call for war.

Edited by maqroll
Bad Smelling

29 minutes ago, villakram said:

Dems moved first during Obama's term. Payback and such. I don't see the problem as it's not like it's a functional democracy anyway.

76 GOP filibusters before Reid changed the rules v Dem's 1.

Try again.

• Like 1

McConnell is an absolute disgrace, and this whole "nuclear option" is a total affront to a democratic system. Why don't both parties just always "go nuclear" when they can't get their way? Awful precedent being set here, and staggering hypocrisy from the GOP.

9 minutes ago, maqroll said:

McConnell is an absolute disgrace

He is absolute vermin.

Stole the senate seat, filibustered Obama's admin 76 times, then changed the rules when filibustered once having to the nerve to label the Dems' actions as unprecedented. Disgrace

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

Â