U.S. Politics

maqroll

The United Nations Security Council has passed a resolution urging an end to illegal Israeli settlements after the US refused to veto it.

The Egyptian-drafted resolution had been withdrawn after Israel asked Donald Trump to intervene but it was proposed again by Malaysia, New Zealand, Senegal and Venezuela.

The US has traditionally sheltered Israel from condemnatory resolutions.

Israeli officials have condemned the US abstention.

Israeli Energy Minister Yuval Steinitz said: "This is not a resolution against settlements, it is an anti-Israel resolution, against the Jewish people and the state of the Jews.

"The United States tonight has simply abandoned its only friend in the Middle East."

President-elect Trump, who will be inaugurated on 20 January, tweeted after the vote: "As to the UN, things will be different after Jan. 20th."

BBC

That's a potentially very big thing. I'm not sure exactly who has taken the decision, maybe it's one of Obama's Presidential Easter Eggs - since it become clear he was leaving the country completely f*****d up, he's taken to doing some of the things that he was originally voted in for.

It's a middle finger directed straight at Netanyahoo. A reality check will show that the US has provided Israel with billions of dollars in aid and weaponry over the last 8 years, essentially turning the other way while Gaza was being carpet bombed. It's all just talk from Obama, same as ever.

32 minutes ago, penguin said:

What's wrong with the US president being amiable with the Russian one? The Cold War is over.

there's being amicable and there's telling Russia to hack Hillary (which trump did at the debate). Also publicly repeating another world leaders words about a different political party? Completely **** stupid.

imagine Theresa may tweeting "I agree with Putin, labour should lose with humility'. There would be outage. And rightly so.

Trump keeps pushing more and more boundaries and people continue to make excuses for him, totally normalising his behaviour.

28 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Trump keeps pushing more and more boundaries and people continue to make excuses for him, totally normalising his behaviour.

Trump announced a new nuclear arms race on Twitter.

There is no 'normal' anymore. 

24 minutes ago, Awol said:

Trump announced a new nuclear arms race on Twitter.

There is no 'normal' anymore. 

Yes, exactly. 

EDIT: Obviously this isn't a good thing, but Trump looks very likely to give 'norms' a bit of a battering. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

The issue is people interpreting 140 characters literally.

His press people clarified things later by adding some extra characters which amounted to: We are not starting an arms race, more daring someone else to, because if they do we will also and we now have the resolute leadership and political will which ensures we will beat them. 

Calm down everyone... it's just MAD, same as it's been all my life.

1 hour ago, villakram said:

The issue is people interpreting 140 characters literally.

His press people clarified things later by adding some extra characters which amounted to: We are not starting an arms race, more daring someone else to, because if they do we will also and we now have the resolute leadership and political will which ensures we will beat them. 

Calm down everyone... it's just MAD, same as it's been all my life.

Yeah, that's not really that much more reassuring. 

• Like 3

I've found a new pastime when I'm bored.

Go to Trumps latest tweet, click comments, find one supporting Trump. 

Then click on that profile and see how many racist or homophobic tweets you can count (and usually really racist or homophobic). Highlight them, report them.

6 minutes ago, jon_c said:

I've found a new pastime when I'm bored.

Go to Trumps latest tweet, click comments, find one supporting Trump. 

Then click on that profile and see how many racist or homophobic tweets you can count (and usually really racist or homophobic). Highlight them, report them.

Usually under every there are hundreds of bots spamming the same tweet (usually selling some shite)

Report them too!

The latest:

He's a child.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Â