Villa 10 - 1 Arsenal

omariqy

I was browsing on AVTV watching the Liverpool highlights and came across the Villa v Arsenal reserves match from a few years ago where we beat them 10-1.

Interesting to the see the side then:

Parish, Herd, Baker, Lowry, Lichaj, Hogg, Osbourne, Gardner, Stieber, Delfouneso, Weimann

I remember thinking at the time how many of this side can make it in to the first team and whether they were good enough. To be honest apart from Gardner I didnt think any of them would make it. Especially Weimann. I didnt think he had enough about him and although he was a good finisher his all round game wasnt good enough. How wrong was I? Yes its early days but from that team Herd, Baker, Lichaj, Gardner and Weimann are all first teamers now and have bright futures at the club. These guys have played together and importantly have tasted success together albeit at a lower level. I think that will be a important factor as we progress under Lambert. Dont forget Clark and Bannan were also part of the same reserves team.

This was Gary Gardner's first proper test after his terrible injury. IIRC, he set up six of the goals in that game and scored a coupe as well. I'm keen to see how he does when he comes back from his current and extremely unfortunate injury.

I dunno about parish, but all of that team are still playing at a decnt level, lowry at millwall, hogg at watford, osbourne and fonz for blackpool, steiber plays for a team in the bundesliga.

Â