Zenit St Petersburg fans - no blacks or gays please

villa4europe

Zenit fans have petitioned for non european and sexual minorities to be banned from playing for the club -

A group of Zenit St Petersburg supporters, who could face Premier League opposition in the Europa League in February, have called for all non-European and “sexual minorities” to be barred from playing for the club.

The Russian club’s manager, Luciano Spalletti, has distanced himself from the group, who published an open letter on its website called “Selection Manifesto 12” in which it demanded certain "principles for selection" and preferred criteria for future signings.

Zenit are the only top flight Russian club to have never signed an African player, although Spalletti quickly expressed his support for multi-racial teams.

"We object to representatives of sexual minorities playing for Zenit,” said the letter published on Landscrona.ru.

"We are not racists and for us, the lack of black players at Zenit is only an important tradition, which emphasises the identity of the club and nothing more.

“Zenit has its own identity in the world of football, along with a number of football clubs that have retained their own identity.

"As the most northern club of the major European cities, we have never been associated with Africa, South America or Australia and Oceania.

"We have absolutely nothing against the people of these and any other continent. But now black players are being imposed on Zenit almost by force.”

The letter went on to say they would only accept players from other Slav nations like Ukraine and Belarus, as well as those from the Baltic states and Scandinavia.

Although he did not make any reference to the letter, Spalletti responded with a swift rejection of their proposals on the club’s official website.

"Tolerance for me is the ability to understand and accept differences,” he said. “Furthermore, being tolerant means that you fight against any kind of stupidity.

"I can personally assure you that I will do everything I can to help those who seek to explain what tolerance is, and the need to respect other cultures and traditions.

"The team has gathered players from different countries and ethnic groups who work together to achieve a common goal. Their combined efforts bring tangible results."

In 2008 former manager Dick Advocaat admitted that signing black players was an option not available to him due to the fierce opposition he would face from Zenit fans.

"I would be happy to sign anyone, but the fans don't like black players," said the former Holland coach. "Quite honestly, I do not understand how they could pay so much attention to skin colour."

St Petersburg is one of the host cities for the 2018 World Cup.

Yeah, you have to take all of this with a pinch of salt because it might be getting spun by people with an agenda. It wasnt that long ago that Blackburn Rovers were getting similar sections of society making comments about them going years without fielding a black player. (1996)

I remember meeting a Russian claiming to be a CSKA hooligan at the Euro's. I made a mistake complementiing Vagner Love for tearing us apart at VP that's for sure.

Then he posed for a photo with us and started shouting 'White power'.

I'd say the racism runs pretty deep.

Based on two actually. One asked my big burly Swedish mate to go n*gger hunting with him.

I

I'm not saying it's everyone but the problem does appear to run deep. Remember the Odemwingie sign at Lokomotiv? Even travel guides advise you to avoid Russia, including the big cities if you are black or particularly dark skinned.

With regards to the World Cup, it'll be exactly the same as Poland & Ukraine; huge anticipation of racism etc but nothing actually materialising.

That said, I agree with the principal that they shouldn't have received the event in the first place due to their ongoing problems and reluctance to tackle them.

yes more British media bashing about losing the FIFA World Cup in 2018 to Russia, would have took the article more seriously if they hadnt mentioned the World Cup in last act.

their is morons everywhere am sure their is probably even a group of Villa morons who meet everyweek and moan we have too many black players.

yes more British media bashing about losing the FIFA World Cup in 2018 to Russia, would have took the article more seriously if they hadnt mentioned the World Cup in last act.

their is morons everywhere am sure their is probably even a group of Villa morons who meet everyweek and moan we have too many black players.

good-guy-greg-quits-smoking.jpg

Zat being anti-British? Shocker. :lol:

There is a massive racism problem in Russia though. It's got nothing to do with missing out on the WC.

I do think people need to be careful with articles like this, as people have said, we had loads of nonsense writen about Ukraine and Poland before the Euro's. That said there is a major problem in Russia (not saying we don't have issues here), much worse than in countries like ours. Also this is supposedly the club's biggest supporters group that have written this letter, that makes it a major story, and does point to the fact that this club, and city, has a real problem.

Â