Jimzk5

It's debatable whether Nuno should be manager of the year but one thing where he and his coaching team have excelled is getting far more out of and improving their British core.

Just watching now Conor Coady pinging 50 yard balls around the pitch effortlessly and Matt Doherty hitting in a great cross for the opener. These guys were just workhorses under the likes of Lambert, encouraged to get rid of the ball as soon as possible.

Was reading an interview with Carlos Carvahal last week when he says any portguese manager starting out has to properly train up players due to lack of money whereas most British managers can just demand another 40m due to the TV income.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

It's debatable whether Nuno should be manager of the year but one thing where he and his coaching team have excelled is getting far more out of and improving their British core.

Just watching now Conor Coady pinging 50 yard balls around the pitch effortlessly and Matt Doherty hitting in a great cross for the opener. These guys were just workhorses under the likes of Lambert, encouraged to get rid of the ball as soon as possible.

Was reading an interview with Carlos Carvahal last week when he says any portguese manager starting out has to properly train up players due to lack of money whereas most British managers can just demand another 40m due to the TV income.

Good point.

However, Jack has improved markedly.

We have chosen to go with experience, rightly or wrongly, so player development has been limited.....we will see if it gets any better.

i think Wolves have more players comfortable on the ball, than us....we have one or two, they have more imo.

Edited by TRO

I cant believe the Sky commentators are buying into the Wolves hype. They've had a good season and deserve to be promoted, they're clearly the best team in the league.

However, they've not kicked a ball in the Premier League and already they're being spoken of as a top half team. 

I understand it to an extent, because the bottom half of the PL looks very poor to me. I just hope Wolves enjoy their own hype, implode and suffer consequative triple relegations. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

I cant believe the Sky commentators are buying into the Wolves hype. They've had a good season and deserve to be promoted, they're clearly the best team in the league.

However, they've not kicked a ball in the Premier League and already they're being spoken of as a top half team. 

I understand it to an extent, because the bottom half of the PL looks very poor to me. I just hope Wolves enjoy their own hype, implode and suffer consequative triple relegations. 

I can see Wolves being a top 10 team next season. They gave City a game in the cup and should have beat them.

Neves, Jota are certainly top 6 quality plus Mendes will have few more gems coming into the club

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TRO said:

Good point.

However, Jack has improved markedly.

We have chosen to go with experience, rightly or wrongly, so player development has been limited.....we will see if it gets any better.

It was more if Lambert had stayed there this season would likes of Coady and Doherty be hitting 50 yard crossfield balls or would they just have been told to get rid as quickly as possible like they were doing last year when Wolves were playing awful football and struggled to even score.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I can see Wolves being a top 10 team next season. They gave City a game in the cup and should have beat them.

Neves, Jota are certainly top 6 quality plus Mendes will have few more gems coming into the club

They remind me of Watford a few yeas ago. They've stayed up comfortably in their three seasons up as have Bournemouth.

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Playing some lovely stuff, albeit against a 10 man SHA side.

Wolves create so much more space for themselves than us, thus helping with their passing ability, they find space off the ball more intelligently.....We are far too easily closed down in comparison.

• Like 1

Just now, TRO said:

Wolves create so much more space for themselves than us, thus helping with their passing ability, they find space off the ball more intelligently.....We are far too easily closed down in comparison.

Totally agree.

Lack of movement (and intelligent movement) has been our biggest issue for years and years.

Really impressive that Nuno has managed to educate and implement this to his team in such a short time.

Yes they have quality players, but it's not just their best players who do it, it's all of them as a team.

Not easy to do that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sne said:

Playing some lovely stuff, albeit against a 10 man SHA side.

It must be in the eye of the beholder.....I think it has many moments of being flat.

Albeit Their movement is better than ours, and allied to their ability to get free of their markers, makes it easy on the eye.

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Totally agree.

Lack of movement (and intelligent movement) has been our biggest issue for years and years.

Really impressive that Nuno has managed to educate and implement this to his team in such a short time.

Yes they have quality players, but it's not just their best players who do it, it's all of them as a team.

Not easy to do that.

Its both, The manager has to have the players to execute his thoughts, once he has.....yes its down to him.

They pass in to space much more than us.......we pass to a players feet.....much easier to close down.

Edited by TRO

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

It must be in the eye of the beholder.....I think it has many moments of being flat.

Albeit Their movement is better than ours, and allied to their ability to get free of their markers, makes it easy on the eye.

It always is

Just now, TRO said:

They pass in to space much more than us.......we pass to a players feet.....much easier to close down.

Yup

And that is imo down to movement patters and lots and lots of focus on this and practice on the training pitch.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sne said:

Totally agree.

Not easy to do that.

They actually had a lot of this team last year.

Doherty, Saiss, Coady, Ivan Cavalero, Helder Costa all at Wolves last season when they struggled to even score goals.

Yes Neves and Diego Jota massively up their level but Nuno is getting far more out of Saiss and Doherty then Lambert even attempted to so deserves lots of credit for that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

They actually had a lot of this team last year.

Doherty, Saiss, Coady, Ivan Cavalero, Helder Costa all at Wolves last season when they struggled to even score goals.

Yes Neves and Diego Jota massively up their level but Nuno is getting far more out of Saiss and Doherty then Lambert even attempted to so deserves lots of credit for that.

And that's why IMO he deserves to get the Manager of the season nod.

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Yup

And that is imo down to movement patters and lots and lots of focus on this and practice on the training pitch.

I agree.

I am not dismissing the training ground work in any way......but the players have to have the nous to carry the work out.

If it was just training ground.....Northampton(as an example)would have a chance at the Prem.....we all need the players.

but, even Wolves have to grind out results at times.

Nuno, deserves much credit, for his work, but he does have some fine players too.

Its a combination of factors.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I agree.

I am not dismissing the training ground work in any way......but the players have to have the nous to carry the work out.

If it was just training ground.....Northampton(as an example)would have a chance at the Prem.....we all need the players.

but, even Wolves have to grind out results at times.

Nuno, deserves much credit, for his work, but he does have some fine players too.

Its a combination of factors.

but would our manager get that performance and level from the Wolves players?

He would in his arse 

• Like 1

Â