January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

That's quite a conditional there, is he a major force behind Wigan's survival then?

He looks a neat and tidy player to me with good technique, but I don't think he's that good. But you're right, it's not our money so who cares how much we spend.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

James McCarthy has twice turned down Liverpool iirc, so I'd be a bit surprised he would make the move here. And that rocket polisher Whelan would hold us to a ransom over the fee.

Swap for CNZ?....................yes please! :)

Knob all chance that McCarthy story is right.

This. Mcarthy is one of the best midfielders playing outside of the 2 Manchester clubs atm. **** knows how his still at wigan but there's no chance he will end up here.

I wonder if Balotelli is loanable. Mario and Benteke up front would be crazilly brilliant.

I know it pays for all football managers to be pragmatic, but not sure Lambert would enjoy having such a crazy diamond on his hands.

We made a net loss of £19 million on Reo-Coker for fees and wages. .............

This is what I hope the club's "new philosophy" is all about. It's not about picking a team of lower league players. It's about finding value for money and players that will give everything to succeed at the club, that depend as much on taking the chance the club is giving them as we do on them coming good.

What an absolutely top class, brilliant piece of quality analysis. Well bloody done that man for truth speaking of the highest order

Adam Johnson needed to play regular football to put himself on display to enhance his international prospects. Lescott does not have to do that.

I'm confused, Lescott won't be picked for England if he isn't playing club football.

What an absolutely top class, brilliant piece of quality analysis. Well bloody done that man for truth speaking of the highest order

I don't think anyone would ever argue that we need better value for money than NRC.

That doesn't mean that experienced quality players can't come under this category.

I thought football was about winning games.

Yes, of course.

But what have we learned form the last 20 years since we last challenged for the title?

Its not about winning just the next game, or winning for a short time, its about building a team that can win in a sustainable way.. This kind of short term signing is suicidal.

We cant go on spending big money on short term signings, our football club and its current state is proof positive that this strategy doesnt work. If we spend substantial sums of money, it must be on players that we wont lose out on in the long term. We just arent a big or rich enough club to be able to do that. If we carry on doing what we have been for the last 20 years we WILL go down sooner or later, sooner to be honest., it is a totally unsustainable way to run a football club. The only reason we havent gone down already by following this strategy is Randy lerner pumping in £200m, without that we'd have gone 5 years ago. We have to do something different. The post I quoted explains exactly why what we are doing now is the ONLY viable sustainable way to do it.

Im not saying we shouldnt spend big money. I'm not saying we shouldn't pay big wages. Im not saying we shouldnt buy experienced players. But when we do, we have to be as certain as we can that we will get that money back. Why? So we can afford to spend the same amount of money on his replacement. Sending £10m plus wages on lescott is money down the toilet. As a club we will never see that £10m again.

How then do you propose we pay for his replacement in 3-4 years when he leaves? Where will the money come from? Isnt this where we've been? isnt this why we have a team now of kids? Because for the last five years in particular we pissed all our money away on short term signings. I cant believe anyone twho has seen us play this season hinks thats any kind of strategy for our future. Surely we, of all clubs, are walking proof why that simply doesnt work.

We have to do something different or we have no long term future

• Like 1

I don't think anyone would ever argue that we need better value for money than NRC.

That doesn't mean that experienced quality players can't come under this category.

IU absolutely agree. Its just Lescott is too old for the money. It would be dead money. get him in on loan by all means, hes axactly what we need, but buy him? no thanks