January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

At the moment, I don't really want to see anyone from the first team replaced.

If we can ship out some of our higher earners, then it'd be good to see them replaced like for like with cheaper, younger players, but I don't particularly want any big names coming in and taking the place of Weimann, Bannan etc.

So pretty much what DamswoodVillan said.

The 20 Premier League chairmen have agreed in principle for clubs to have to break even, despite some opposition at a meeting on Tuesday.

However the exact details of the spending controls has yet to be agreed - specifically around how much wealthy owners can put into the club to cover losses, sources close to the process have disclosed.

The club chairmen have now asked PL executives to bring back detailed plans on the spending controls for the next meeting on February 6, and on proposals to cap wage rises for players in the short term.

It is understood Manchester City, Fulham and Aston Villa remained opposed to any controls but approval by only 14 of the 20 clubs is needed for the moves to go through.

Interesting?

Any ideas why were one of the clubs against these spending controls coming into the Premier League?

Man City i can understand but why us? Unless Lerner has some heavy spending planned?

I think Lerner probably doesn't like to be told how to spend his money. If he wakes up one morning and fancies spending £100 million on players/wages then I think he feels that should be his right. I think a lot of the clubs with wealthy owners may be opposed to this as buying a club in the first place was a venture to invest in something, to splurge some cash. I know over the years Lerner has given off the feeling that he wasn't happy spending big, but I think he just wasn't happy having his money wasted. Lambert has clearly shown he knows how to buy good players on a budget, Lerner may have been planning to give Lambert a massive budget as a reward.

I see people mention the 30 game dossier on players mentioned a lot.. Don't people think the majority of mangers would get their scouts to watch potential signings over numerous games.. Scouting is not just watching a player perform, but also researching their personality, their behaviour etc... I would be surprised if most managers just signed players on a whim based on a couple of appearances (obviously the signing of balaban aside)

One would presume most managers do their homework before buying - however I think it's worth pointing out the Crewe's boss made a point of saying, from quotes none of the other clubs who were interested in Ashley Westwood had a dossier on him like Villa/Lambert had. Pretty sure one of those clubs was Swansea.

im not going to look at this thread for the next 1 week and 1 day, the window cant come quick enough, due to the amount of positivity around the club, its frustrating

its like being 1-0 up against man utd on the 90th minute with 4 minutes extra time...

• Like 1

One would presume most managers do their homework before buying - however I think it's worth pointing out the Crewe's boss made a point of saying, from quotes none of the other clubs who were interested in Ashley Westwood had a dossier on him like Villa/Lambert had. Pretty sure one of those clubs was Swansea.

one of those clubs was swansea his old team mate said so in the OS interview that westwood was in talks with swansea before we came in.

I think Lerner probably doesn't like to be told how to spend his money. If he wakes up one morning and fancies spending £100 million on players/wages then I think he feels that should be his right. I think a lot of the clubs with wealthy owners may be opposed to this as buying a club in the first place was a venture to invest in something, to splurge some cash. I know over the years Lerner has given off the feeling that he wasn't happy spending big, but I think he just wasn't happy having his money wasted. Lambert has clearly shown he knows how to buy good players on a budget, Lerner may have been planning to give Lambert a massive budget as a reward.

I thought I read somewhere (can't remember where now) that when the propositions were initially put forward it was thought that clubs would oppose it because a) it places unnecessary restrictions on clubs which wouldn't actually help with controlling finances B) the rules would benefit the richer clubs a lot more and would essentially maintain the status at the top of the table.... Unfortunately I have no links to any of this so it may have been a figment of my imagination