Villa Offer Standing Area Trial

CrackpotForeigner

http://www.telegraph...ding-areas.html

"The campaign has been launched by the Football Supporters' Federation (FSF) and with Birmingham MP Roger Godsiff. Aston Villa and Peterborough have both given their support to calls for the Government to allow "small-scale trials of safe standing areas" and have volunteered to host a trial.

Villa chief executive Paul Faulkner said: "We have had a number of good discussions and meetings with the FSF over the past 12 months and fully support their campaign to allow small-scale trials of safe standing areas at grounds.

"Whenever we have discussed the topic with our fans we've found almost unanimous support for such a trial, and the concept of giving fans the choice to decide to either sit or stand at a game.

"We believe Villa Park could be a potential venue for such a trial, and would like the opportunity to progress the plans further with the wider support of the football community in this country."

Godsiff has also submitted an early day motion to Parliament which "urges the Government to accept the case for introducing, on a trial basis, limited standing areas".

The trials would need a change in the Football Spectators Act 1989, brought in after the Hillsborough disaster.

Peter Daykin, Safe Standing Coordinator at the FSF, said: "For two decades since the Taylor Report, the overwhelming majority of football supporters have favoured a choice of standing and sitting at football, and fans continue to stand throughout all levels of the game today, even in the Premier League and Championship where it is against ground regulations and facilities are designed for sitting.

"Standing was outlawed on grounds of safety, and yet successive governments have agreed that standing is safe - it's hard not to when it is done perfectly safely every week at rugby grounds, lower league football grounds and in top football leagues all around the world."

Last year the Hillsborough Family Support Group opposed any move to bring back standing areas.

HFSG spokesman Margaret Aspinall said then: "The Hillsborough Family Support Group are totally against any form of standing whatsoever. We are absolutely against it and always will be. Our football clubs should remain all-seater stadiums.

"People always say they have standing areas in Germany, but we don't play any part over what happens in that country - we just believe there's no such thing as safe standing in this country. We will not be encouraging the government to change the law."

The Premier League and successive governments have until now also opposed any change."

Great to see the club taking the lead on this. The HSFG is a bit of a hurdle, though. No matter how narrow-minded their attitude is, politicians will want to be seen to listen to them. The fact that modern German standing areas are nothing like Hillsborough terrraces doesn't seem to affect their position. It's like wanting to ban bicycles because a relative was killed on one (and this isn't a perfect analogy either, because the "bicycles" are now safer anyway).

Those Hillsborough families are behaving emotionally, which is understandable, but I see little risk to 'safe standing' as is proposed.

It would be very narrow minded to not at least allow a trial. Most away fans stand all game anyway.

I would like to see it come back - have great memories of the holte when all standing. I fully understand how families affected by such horrible events as hilsbourough dont want to entertain the idea.

Shouldnt we try and learn from our mistakes though and move on??

Was listening to Talksport earlier and it just seemed like it was generally Liverpool fans that were against it and one of the presenters.

Saw this video on the FSF website, I'd like to see how anyone could view this as unsafe. And anyway, if you don't want to stand, you don't have to. The majority of the ground will still be seated, it'll probably be no more that a third of the ground that has standing. Also, removes the need to expand, perhaps a cheap resolution to the North Stand problem though I do still hope it goes. 3,000 seats into 5,700 standing "seats".

Here's the video:

• Like 1

I am all for safe standing and everyone i know is too. There are obviously going to be people that have a problem with this but those that are reading this and have an issue you would still have more seats than standing areas so its not like you are being forced to stand. Please understand there are vast amount of fans that would love the opportunity to stand. I think everyone should have an option. Just like life you can smoke or not smoke drink or not drink why should you not have the choice at a football ground to stand or sit especially if its safe and done correctly.

There wouldn't be wire fences at the front of the stands. There would be rails all of the way across, separating rows of fans.

With the recent ruling, it seems absurd that of all people, Liverpool fans are the only people (except politicians) objecting.

Standing never killed anyone. Despicable policing and poor stadium design did.

• Like 1

There wouldn't be wire fences at the front of the stands. There would be rails all of the way across, separating rows of fans.

With the recent ruling, it seems absurd that of all people, Liverpool fans are the only people (except politicians) objecting.

Standing never killed anyone. Despicable policing and poor stadium design did.

Zactly. It's just maddening how every time the subject of standing comes up there's a kneejerk reaction from people thinking you're trying to cause another Hillsborough. No effort made to consider: 1) The real causes of the tragedy or 2) The actual proposals being made regarding standing.

Great to see. I'd much rather stand at a game. Obviously it's got to be safe but that sort of layout looks easy to police and keep safe, it's not like you're throwing people into a pen and having a freeforall for the best spots. As an upside, it can increase our capacity which can only be good news for the club.

What are your views on it then Woody? Do you not think it's something that can be moved forward with?

For me, you only have to look at away fans when their teams score. I know its a long way from what it was in the 80s but its still amazing more people dont get hurt in my opinion. Im just dont see the point tbh. People say to improve atmosphere - well the atmosphere at VP is pretty pants. Thats largely to do with the fact that the football is woeful.

I have been safe standing every other week. The only difference post Taylor report is that I am more likely to hit my shins going barmy on a bit of cheap plastic.

Man City is a recent example. Young last minute winner against Everton left a satisfying dent for many weeks. Great stuff.

Its a positive move. There is nothing unsafe about standing. I'd be shocked to see any statistics showing injuries amongst standing away fans such as ourselves, Man United, Liverpool, Spurs etc, beyond a small bruise now and again.

• Like 1

The arguments against it are pretty weak IMO. It works in Germany and it's called safe standing for a reason. Lower North seems to be a de facto standing area anyway (that's why I always get tickets there).

Liverpool fans always have to find something to be outraged about and rally against it seems. Safe standing would not cause another Hillsborough and they know it.

I would be surprised if there were fans of a team in the premier league that go to away games and sit down. You just don't do it - come to think if it Wolves away last season was a good'un for a nice bruised shin. Actually ended up 5 seats away from where we were actually sitting xD

I'd love the opportunity for safe standing.

I watch footy at a couple of different levels and there's no substitute for being able to stand and talk to a couple of mates and not have to be selective with who you actually sit next to for the next 90 minutes. It should also make a difference with my stress levels when the people who turn up late then leave for an early piss or pie, then arrive back 3 minutes after the start of the second half.

No problem with the trial, its not for me but i dont see why people expect it to herald the return of cheaper seats. Who is likely to take the standing areas? current holte enders. Will it attract more fans? i dont think so.

By charging cheaper ticket prices, the club earns less. If this was something they were prepared to do, theyd do it now.

For me its simply another PR exercise.

But there's more "seats". As said in the video, 3000 seats is 5700 standing.

3000 sitting at £30 is £90k, knock a third off and you only need to sell 4500 at £20 to make the same amount. These areas will be much easier to sell than the sitting areas.

Â