General England thread

kurtsimonw

We have some exciting players thats for sure! We won't do much but its great to be at a world cup in Brazil!!

Agreed. I think some fans like to just look forward to watching their team in the World Cup. Why has it got to be "Oh well we won't win it". So? Who cares, we're not expected to win it, we don't expect to win it.
It's great to watch them compete undoubtedly, but it's great thinking that they have an outside chance of winning too. I'm not even getting a hint of that niggle of a feeling this time. England as the Birthplace of the game and having a massive football industry should be able to achieve those expectations that in my opinion. Or am I being too harsh?
Villa created league football do you expect us to win the league?

That's different, we're no longer the biggest team. England however has a huge amount of cashflow, there's more inflow of mney coming into our country because of football than any other country has. Obviously that money doesn't go to nurturing our footballers though

The scumbag has scored.

Caps off a shit game!

I thought you switched off at half time.

I watched a Sky plussed documentary and it finished about 5 mins before the end.

Shame that we qualified. That's put England back another 4 years.

Now if they were to retire the old guard tomorrow and announce a plan beginning now for Russia 2018, that would be so much better........

• Like 1

The scumbag has scored.

Caps off a shit game!

I watched a Sky plussed documentary and it finished about 5 mins before the end.

Now if they were to retire the old guard tomorrow and announce a plan beginning now for Russia 2018, that would be so much better........

I'd say it will only put us back a yr, i'dimagine most of the old guard will retire after the wc

No I don't think so but expectations have dropped. Even at home we would struggle to win it but in Brazil its impossible!

that you Glenn?

just repeating him. No but I do think its unlikely we can win in South America. In any case we are not good enough to be thinking of winning it. A quarter final would be great.

The scumbag has scored.

Caps off a shit game!

You better stock up on them documentaries for next summer.  ;)

that pre tournament November friendly that I said we always play well vs a big team in...

Germany at home

we'll dick them and go on to win the world cup

probably my favourite England manager for a long time.

:o

It's not hard.

McClaren....oh dear.

Capello....coaching legend but couldn't warm to him and he made some ridiculous before and during the 2010 world cup.

Sven...like him at the start tbh but limited for the salary he was getting and all the chaos he was causing off the pitch.

Keegan....not an international manager it's far to stay.

Venables and Hoddle were decent but both arrogant and plenty of friends in the press.

The scumbag has scored.

Caps off a shit game!

Woy gets a lot of stick but the team playing at the moment is a lot younger than the dads army at Euro 2012 and he's given loads of young players opportunities in this qualifiying campaign...from memory Ox Chamberlian, Jones, Smalling, Barkley, front three tonight, Ryan Bertrand, Shawcross, Jonjo Shelvey, Kyle Walker, Sterling, Adam lallana.

Don't rate all of them but that's a lot of young players to include considering not many of them had caps before euro 2012, not sure how many more young players he could call up.

It's in Brazil, however we do whoever can make it is going to have a mint time. Probs the most varied country in the world, my wish is to travel the Amazon River. What a sublime country!

Take a tip from a regular visitor to Brazil.

Go in 2015!

Take a tip from a regular visitor to Brazil.

Go in 2015!

I was planning on going after the Olympics and hope all the infrastructure will be in place, ITV just had a rough price guide, £1300 for flights, £450 a night hotel in rio, £1000 approx. if you get a group with internal flights, it wont be a cheap one for the WC

and villachris, I cant help but liken roy to mccleish, think he's tactically clueless and cant see half the time what his gameplan actually is, also think he's taken picking favourites to a whole new low, I know he's handed out debuts and trusted youth at times but some of his squads are baffling

Maybe....no one can convince me at all the squad he has now generally is anything like what Sven and Capello had....purely as the decent core of it are now in their 30s rather than in their mid 20s.

So call up young players and he has certainly done that even if some of them should really be playing for the under 21s.

Alright, I'll pay good money1 to anyone who can sabotage the England Brass Band's2 instruments before next summer3.

1 Precisely this amount: http://www.worldofmonopoly.com/fansite/images/money/monopoly_money_500.jpg.

2 I think this is their website: http://www.englandband.com/index.shtml

3 Preferably before the next England game.

What people forget is that Hoddle was probably getting sacked for the results regards....England started that campaign by losing 2-1 to Sweden and drawing 0-0 at home to Bulgaria.

He did well the two years previously though, mediocre in club management since but I think his skills should be utilised somewhere at international level.

Anyway back to the game tonight. I thought England played quite well. The last 2 games has been a much higher tempo to the game and more ideas up front. Not world beaters by any strench but got the job done.  Rooney is a very hard person to like but he was excellent tonight. Personally I think he needs a big world cup as the last 2 has been useless/injured. Still not sure about that defence it will get found out by a top side. Overall it was a fairly easy group and by having 2 home games at the end they made it slightly harder work than perhaps they should have done. If all the key players are fit and on form, and the press give uncle woy a fair chance, England might have  a chance of the quarters in Brazil. Less than the 2nd round will be a failure.  Now enough of this silly international stuff and back to the proper footy.

The scumbag has scored.

Caps off a shit game!

The 'old guard', what all two of them?

I don't mind this England team, I think last 16/quarter finals is realistic, there's no way we can be as bad as at the 2010 World Cup which was a car crash.

Fair play to Woy in the last couple of games he's play how England should play. We've sat back on leads to many times in this qualifying group which might have cost us. But in the last couple, we've played as well as we've done for years.

A fit and firing Rooney and I think we can give the QFs a decent crack, if he's not fit or sharp, we will struggle to get out of the group.

Â