Should you be jailed for Social network comments ?

tonyh29

What an idiot, whilst you have a right to burn a poppy you would have to be an idiot to publicise doing it (unless your a mental Muslim cleric). Id ust like to know why the mail have added a tweet by 'comedian' Tim minchin into the article condemning the arrest, what next? The opinion of wolf from gladiators.

What an idiot, whilst you have a right to burn a poppy you would have to be an idiot to publicise doing it (unless your a mental Muslim cleric). Id ust like to know why the mail have added a tweet by 'comedian' Tim minchin into the article condemning the arrest, what next? The opinion of wolf from gladiators.

He was incensed btw.

37918_2.jpg

• 1 year later...

Women that allegedly abused the McCanns on Twitter found dead in a hotel in Leicester tonight .... presumably the two are linked  ?

I'm torn on this as it seems a crime to abuse people on the interweb but not a crime to abandon your children and go out with your mates on the piss

( i should add that I make this comment having not read the abuse so no idea how vile /abusive it was )

• Like 4

Women that allegedly abused the McCanns on Twitter found dead in a hotel in Leicester tonight .... presumably the two are linked  ?

I'm torn on this as it seems a crime to abuse people on the interweb but not a crime to abandon your children and go out with your mates on the piss

( i should add that I make this comment having not read the abuse so no idea how vile /abusive it was )

Also no idea what the woman said, but the McCanns have already suffered way, way more than anyone should for being very mildly irresponsible. I'm guessing that her tweets were out of order, or they wouldn't have been shown to the pleece. Silly cow.

The thing is, is that people on the internet are quite savvy now.

If they want you details from a single photo you've uploaded or one part of your name, or if you have an internet alias (like I use Lapalfan for a few sites) (Sorry Donald), then you're not anonymous.

People have to start realising that there will be consequences for their actions/words on the internet, more so than ever now. 

Saying these things on Twitter/Facebook is very, very stupid.

mildy irresponsible?! Anything could have happened in the time they left their young kids while they were out having a laugh, and did.

Well I hope we can at least agree that they didn't deserve what happened to them.

The hateful vitriol which was and still is directed at the McCanns, is totally beyond my understanding.

At the end of the day, they made a decision to leave 3 young children in their hotel room, in a large hotel, so that they could go and have a drink.

Is it irresponsible? Yea, I guess you could argue it is, despite hoping the hotel would be secure, I wouldn't have take that chance.

Do they deserve what's happened to them because of the choice? Absolutely not, never in a million years.

Do the regret it? Yup.

It's a desperately sad story and one that needs an ending.

mildy irresponsible?! Anything could have happened in the time they left their young kids while they were out having a laugh, and did.

Well I hope we can at least agree that they didn't deserve what happened to them.

The hateful vitriol which was and still is directed at the McCanns, is totally beyond my understanding.

I agree .. I imagine it's because they don't' particularly come across as nice people either ( though when one is searching for a lost child I'd imagine that is the least of your worries )

they made an error of judgement without doubt  but i suspect they are hardly the first or last parents to leave the children home alone  ... personally i wouldn't but I've actually met couples who have done it !!

• Like 1

It's interesting how personality can affect public opinion. You might remember the British nanny case here in Boston, who was convicted of manslaughter for shaking an infant to death. A lot of the conversation around here wasn't about the nanny, but about the parents. Why would they leave a 5 month old baby in the hands of a 16 year old stranger? They weren't very likable people either, they seemed very cold and very career driven professional types, and their interviews didn't do much to get people on their side. 

They were overexposed, and that turned a lot of people against them. What made their daughter worth thousands of hours of coverage when young children are kidnapped or sold into sex slavery every day? Their case was tragic but, at least in my opinion, it should have been left in the hands of the professionals and not dealt with so publicly. I wonder if there is a study about the success rates of cases that go public and those that don't.

But those are my misgivings about the coverage of the case itself. As for the McCanns, they were desperate and it is extremely harsh and unfair to judge people on how they behave in those circumstances. Many did, and still do.

As is the sympathetic approach they receive at the hands of the media and the authorities, beyond mine.

The public money that has been spent on this family is preposterous. The amount of public sympathy they've garnered and money they've received (to pay off their mortgage) is absolutely astonishing when you consider the best case scenario is that they were bloody awful parents.

• Like 4

It's interesting how personality can affect public opinion. You might remember the British nanny case here in Boston, who was convicted of manslaughter for shaking an infant to death. A lot of the conversation around here wasn't about the nanny, but about the parents. Why would they leave a 5 month old baby in the hands of a 16 year old stranger? They weren't very likable people either, they seemed very cold and very career driven professional types, and their interviews didn't do much to get people on their side. 

Louise Woodward  .. I remember the case well , it was one of the first public news stories where emails starting circulating around the web , least that I can recall  *  ... Claire Swire may have just beaten her to it  :) )

( * Just heard ex-nanny Louise Woodward is back in England and working at my local McDonald's.  .......  All kids get a free shake.)

• Like 2

As is the sympathetic approach they receive at the hands of the media and the authorities, beyond mine.

The public money that has been spent on this family is preposterous. The amount of public sympathy they've garnered and money they've received (to pay off their mortgage) is absolutely astonishing when you consider the best case scenario is that they were bloody awful parents.

they used it to pay 2 monthly payments (not pay off the whole mortgage)  ..presumably as they were both on an extended and unpaid leave from work whilst they remained in Portugal ....  I don't know that I find that completely unreasonable in the circumstances ...

At the end of the day, they made a decision to leave 3 young children in their hotel room, in a large hotel, so that they could go and have a drink.

Is it irresponsible? Yea, I guess you could argue it is.

Understatement of the year award goes to...
  • Like 1

they used it to pay 2 monthly payments (not pay off the whole mortgage)  ..presumably as they were both on an extended and unpaid leave from work whilst they remained in Portugal ....  I don't know that I find that completely unreasonable in the circumstances ...

I find it outrageous tbh. I very much doubt anyone donated money so they could pay someones mortgage, especially a family with an annual income of £200k+ a year. In fact the whole sorry tale makes my blood boil because…

The best case scenario is still that they were shit irresponsible parents. It is absolutely amazing the amount of sympathy they garnered over this and yes class has an awful lot to do with it, had they been working class, they'd have been arrested on return to the country.

• Like 3

Â