Should you be jailed for Social network comments ?

tonyh29

Utterly preposterous. That's a 20 year old bloke that isn't going to be able to get a job again. A life ruined for telling a joke. Very, very dangerous precedent, and the sort of thing there should be a lot more fuss about, but of course there won't be due to the moral panic about paedophiles and anything concerning them.

The more ui think about this, the more angry I get. This is police state shit. When did the right to not be offended get enshrined in law? You don't get 12 weeks for burglary ffs. I can't believe more hasn't been made of this. Offending someone is now punishable by jail. There should be **** riots for less than this.

It's ridiculous, I hate these crusaders that have to write in and complain that they didn't like this or that, that they were offended by what they saw or heard on the radio, tv or online website.

If you don't like it, turn it off or switch it over you **** spastic!

Was what he said in bad taste? Yes. Was it "grossly offensive?" No. . If he had said it in the street with a megaphone he would have been nicked and cautioned under S5 of the Public Order Act.

12 weeks in prison is totally and grossly excessive. I hope he appeals and I hope he wins. Saying it online is no different to saying it on the street and should be treated accordingly.

A distinction needs to be made between twitter and facebook. They are quite different media in terms of publicity. With twitter it is completely public and you are; in essence; saying it to the world. So yes, you do need to be careful. It's just like walking up to someone in the street and saying it to them. Facebook is different in the sense that you are only saying it to a selected audience that you have chosen (assuming you are not posting 'public'). So I don't think that should have the same consequences because the analogy there is that you're saying it to your mates down the pub. If you post inappropriate stuff on facebook (and god knows I have) then your audience need to put up or shut up. If you do it on twitter then you must be prepared for the consequences.

A distinction needs to be made between twitter and facebook. They are quite different media in terms of publicity. With twitter it is completely public and you are; in essence; saying it to the world. So yes, you do need to be careful. It's just like walking up to someone in the street and saying it to them. Facebook is different in the sense that you are only saying it to a selected audience that you have chosen (assuming you are not posting 'public'). So I don't think that should have the same consequences because the analogy there is that you're saying it to your mates down the pub. If you post inappropriate stuff on facebook (and god knows I have) then your audience need to put up or shut up. If you do it on twitter then you must be prepared for the consequences.

Perhaps, but not in this particular case for me. The manner of this kind of thing being put out there isn't at all important for me - he could have been shouting it in the street for all I care. Causing offence, should not be an offence. If you are offended by something - deal with it.

Had this been abuse (which in this case I think he would have had to have been specifically directing the comments at the direct family of Madeline McCann and April Jones) there'd be a case. But he didn't.

I don't condone the jokes, but this is absurd.

• Like 1

Oh I totally agree Chindie, it is preposterous and you are right that offending someone shouldn't automatically be an offence. I was just making the more general point that people need to be careful of twitter in particular.

The Guardian had a couple of the jokes in their article on it. I've not worked out how to do links on this yet but it's easily found.

Not that it particularly matters what was said in this case, but there you are. I've heard worse on here, down the pub, I heard worse in the office last week to be perfectly honest.

I'll expect plod will be marching the Guardian down the station for publishing such hideously offensive comments far more widely than the guy in the dock ever managed.

Â