Did you go?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Did you go?

• I went to Uni
    • I'm at Uni
    • I didn't go to Uni
    • I don't plan to go to Uni

This poll is closed to new votes

Just wondering what everyone else did/ doing/ plan to do.

I'm at sixth form at the moment and most of my mates are planning on going, but I don't really fancy it myself.

Would you advise going? Bearing in mind I don't know what I want to do, don't wanna be in debt, but got pretty good GCSE's (A*'s, A's) and will hopefully do ok in my A levels.

To be honest I'm thinking about just getting a job straight from school, Accountancy or similar.

Cheers.

Hard to advise. I went back in the Stone Age (actually saw the Stones) - 1972-1975 - got a full grant, spent it on beer and drugs. Them was the days.

My daughter's at university now, and worries a lot about money.

Mike (BA, MSc)

I went to uni having always planned to do so. I settled quickly and fell in with a good bunch of mates who I still speak to regularly having finished 3 years ago and are always useful contacts around the country should I need to stay anywhere.

I did a BA in Accounting & Finance and have exemptions up to the final 5 papers of ACCA so accountancy doesn't necessarily have to be gone into straight from school. However I do have the 12k debt to prove it (albeit you pay it back as a tax rather than the way you would with a conventional loan)

In truth it is a difficult decision and you'll only know when you get there and have been there for half a year if you'll like it. I loved it and would recommend to everyone to go but also realise my viewpoint is biased due to the fun I had and friends I made, some people back home talk of their flatmates as absolute words removed!

Hope this opinion helped and have tried not to be overly biased one way or the other to assist you. Keep up the good academic work because I'm sure that as long as you work hard at uni or not you'll be successful!

I'm at uni now, in my final year and hoping to go onto a Masters course next year. I hated my first two years and regretted applying in the first place with every ounce of strength in my body. Now, however, I'm enjoying it. I feel that I know my subject better and am quite enjoying the work (**** loads of it at the moment) and the social life has got much better for me too. It was just the luck of the draw initially I guess.

So, don't go if you really don't want to. For a long time I wished I hadn't. BUT - don't let my experience put you off, if there is a bit of you that wants to go, go. Just be ready to make the most of it.

And forget about staying out of debt, it ain't gonna happen. But it shouldn't be a problem if you get a student loan it's a sweet deal (as sweet as it can be without getting a grant - bastards). If you want to do it, take on the debt. It's not the end of the world.

But again, don't go unless it's what YOU want to do.

In conclusion...inconclusion.

Well I want to go mate - I'm not applying this year but I will next. Gap year - earn some money, get some relevant work experience, do something useful, get battered - you know how it is. But Uni just sounds like a laugh to me and a degree will doubtless be useful to. So from a guy in the same position as you - I say go.

Well I want to go mate - I'm not applying this year but I will next. Gap year - earn some money, get some relevant work experience, do something useful, get battered - you know how it is. But Uni just sounds like a laugh to me and a degree will doubtless be useful to. So from a guy in the same position as you - I say go.

that pretty much somes me up, although the homer simpson in me, will mean i probably won't get a job and will be a lazy b*stard and i probably won't end up going to uni, but i intend to :)

I went to uni directly from school, had a great time and got a degree at the end of it. Looking back at it, I would have done much better if I had some experience of the real world before going. I would recommend a year our where you take on some real resposibilities if you are unsure of going. A well organised year out is essential though, don't justs piss it up a wall getting drunk in Aussie bars. Employers these days expect a little more to get the best jobs out there. I would say that getting a degree of any sort is a big jump on the career ladder and will include you in many more possibilities than it excludes.

Also if you want to do accounting why not do an appropriate course and your starting salery when you leave uni will be appreciably higher.

Anyway, the first 2 years were shit, boring as hell, loads of lectures on completely useless stuff and a shit load of exams. The following 3 years however were completely different. One of the quirks about my course was that 80% of the students were female, so I was outnumbered, but in terms of drinking, partying, shagging got more than my fair share.

So if you want to do anything but work, shag numerous women, drink on a dialy basis, do some illicit drugs, I'd recommend it.

Whether it helps you get a job these days is debateable, especially if you have to pay.

Out of my group of 4 best school friends I was the only one that left at the end of the fifth form and didn't follow their route to Uni. They all now have dull jobs their very bored with whilst I have a rewarding job and earn nearly twice as much as all of them?

They reckon they did have a great social time at Uni but I think this is a myth as I also had a fantastic social time in the same period at my life and don't feel like I missed out on anything by not going?

My personal opinion is it's a complete waste of time and most grad's I've met haven't got a clue about real business?

In the old days we could go to Uni for free, have a lark for three years and not worry about it. It was an adult extension of pocket money. Cash without responsibility, brilliant.

Nowadays the decision is a bit tougher. I suppose if you want to bag that level of debt you need to be a bit more serious about it.

I never went to uni got some really good offers too, including a couple of them inviting me over for a visit before I even went near 6th form!

Anyways if anyone at uni is thinking of a job in the financial services you could drop me a PM, in fact anyone in that line of work can feel free to as I believe we get some £ for 'finders' fee

Out of my group of 4 best school friends I was the only one that left at the end of the fifth form and didn't follow their route to Uni. They all now have dull jobs their very bored with whilst I have a rewarding job and earn nearly twice as much as all of them?

They reckon they did have a great social time at Uni but I think this is a myth as I also had a fantastic social time in the same period at my life and don't feel like I missed out on anything by not going?

My personal opinion is it's a complete waste of time and most grad's I've met haven't got a clue about real business?

Do you mind me asking how old you are?

Just wondering because you sound like you've 'made it' without going to Uni, so wondering if you chose the 'non uni' route years ago or recently.

Thanks for all the advise lads.

Â