• I went to Uni
    • I'm at Uni
    • I didn't go to Uni
    • I don't plan to go to Uni

This poll is closed to new votes

im only gonna say this once.

DO NOT GO TO STAFFORD

I did. Am I missing something?? :?

Since when did Stafford have a University? What next, the University of Uttoxeter? It was bad enough when Keele was called a University (highest suicide rate apparently) but Stafford - jeez and education hasnt been dumbed down, nah not a hope its all about accesibility - bollox its about dropping standards

[/ranty ranty ranty] :evil:

Hang my head in shame, ask me if I give a shit :o

• 16 years later...

In the States, there's a bit of a trendy movement on both the left and right to talk about "how not everyone needs to go to college" (which means generally uni also here). There are some jobs that needn't require degrees that have in the past. That's a good thing to (re)examine as an economic issue, I agree. I get that. But it's a much more complicated thing than many of our politicians and media commentators acknowledge, especially when you have industrial leaders who have absolutely zero grasp of what it means to be working class telling working class kids not to bother with uni. Irks me, that.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

Daughter didn't get the grades she needed for UOM.  Missed a B is photography by 2 marks. 

She's now got to go to Manchester Met Instead. 

She's angry and very upset about results and missing her first place but now she's got to deal with the scramble for some kind of accommodation in Manchester Met whilst still upset which is proving a nightmare 

She got an A, B and C. It should still be a good day but it's turned to hell. There must be a better way. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Daughter didn't get the grades she needed for UOM.  Missed a B is photography by 2 marks. 

She's now got to go to Manchester Met Instead. 

She's angry and very upset about results and missing her first place but now she's got to deal with the scramble for some kind of accommodation in Manchester Met whilst still upset which is proving a nightmare 

She got an A, B and C. It should still be a good day but it's turned to hell. There must be a better way. 

Have you tried clearing for UoM?

8 minutes ago, Milfner said:

Have you tried clearing for UoM?

Yes, she needed AAB, they'd have taken ABB but ABC is too much of a downgrade.  Such a same especially as 1) She was so so close to B and 2) it transpires that she didn't need photography after all which is what she had been given to believe.   She only took it as a way to get a creative subject.  Turns out they would have accepted another subject, she would have breezed an A in PE.  

Obviously now is not a good time to tell her she should have researched more thoroughly.  We did keep telling her at the time that she should take PE.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

I just can't grasp that my daughter will leave university before day 1 of work and have a debt almost as big as my first mortgage hanging over her head. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Â