63 members have voted

1. 1. Did you go?

• I went to Uni
    • I'm at Uni
    • I didn't go to Uni
    • I don't plan to go to Uni

This poll is closed to new votes

Some good advice and opinions so far.

I think it's clear there are probably benefits to either option!

To my mind a degree is certainly useful in the job market, and indeed for some jobs is a definite requirement. Especially these days where I gather that so many more people appear to be going to university. It also appears the school leaving age is possibly to be raised to 18, so I would expect degrees to become even more the "norm" in future.

However, there is definately something to be said for joining a company at 18 after A levels, and this would not generally stop you from enjoying the same progression as a graduate.

My own experiences of Uni were mixed, yeah it was a laugh, but I felt is was something I had to do, rather than wanted to do. My degree was "Mickey Mouse" (as someone rather kindly put it) but it got me the job I wanted with a large multinational accounting firm. From there I got my ACA (degree required to do this I think), reached manager level and now am on a secondment overseas.

However, I honestly believe I could have done my course (12-15hrs a week lectures) in 18-24 months, and saved a year of my life and a few grand. I also studied something that is of little relevance to my job now.

Interestingly, I met a school pal at my company some time later, who went the A-Level route and was at the same grade as me, although he had been working longer, obviously he had more experience and no student loans !

I had my GAP year after school, working at H Samuel's warehouse in Hockley for 3 months, then went to the States (Connecticut) on a school exchange. A great laugh, but looking back it wasn't a great life experience to spend my GAP year in a school, although being away from home in a different culture was good. A lot of graduate employers offer extended breaks during your career these days, so unless you have the funding and the committment to do a worthwhile GAP year after school/Uni , you could always wait until 2-3 years into you new job, and take 3-6 months to go travelling. Another option is to borrow from your bank based on a job offer 12 months in the future (you will need your offer letter and sometimes these come with the promise of a golden handshake of a couple of grand) and use this to fund your GAP year prior to starting your new career.

My main advice would be - sit down, have a think, make a plan , and go and action it!

I loved all 3 years at Uni. I would go back if I could and would advise anyone to go as the experience really is second to none. If you are thinking of doing accountancy then do a subject that has Business Finance and Business Management in it as this will get you exemptions. Business courses, from what people tell me, aren't usually packed with lectures so you have alot of free time.

I loved all 3 years at Uni. I would go back if I could and would advise anyone to go as the experience really is second to none. If you are thinking of doing accountancy then do a subject that has Business Finance and Business Management in it as this will get you exemptions. Business courses, from what people tell me, aren't usually packed with lectures so you have alot of free time.

Thats true!! I have twelve hours a week!!!! :lol:

From there I got my ACA (degree required to do this I think)

Bugger, I wondered whether I needed a degree to do that. Can anyone confirm/ elaborate on this please?

It is not required. I have a degree and am ACA qualified but you can do it through the school leavers route. Basically, you would do the AAT (Accounting and Auditing Technician) qualification. Then after 2 years you can do top up papers. Once they are complete you can then do the ACA. I think you only have to do certain papers as well as the top up papers exempt you from some of the exams.

TT- cheers, I stand corrected ! :winkold:

I had a quick look on the ICAS/ICAEW websites to be sure though :lol:

Looks like a good option, under ICAS (which some of the big four now use) you can qualify after 5 yrs, saving a year on the graduate root of 3yrs uni and 3yrs CA studying/work, and avoiding all that student debt !

As per my original post, my mate did something similar to this but qualified under ACCA, hence my assumption on ACA.

Mind you, (no offence meant), if you have you heart set on a career in accountancy at 18yrs of age you want your head looking at ! :winkold:

TT- cheers, I stand corrected ! :winkold:

I had a quick look on the ICAS/ICAEW websites to be sure though :lol:

Looks like a good option, under ICAS (which some of the big four now use) you can qualify after 5 yrs, saving a year on the graduate root of 3yrs uni and 3yrs CA studying/work, and avoiding all that student debt !

As per my original post, my mate did something similar to this but qualified under ACCA, hence my assumption on ACA.

Mind you, (no offence meant), if you have you heart set on a career in accountancy at 18yrs of age you want your head looking at ! :winkold:

The last statement is very true but what I have to say is never doubt me as I am the King of Everything!

:angel:

I'm at Uni and love it! Most fun i've ever had and reccommend it to anyone! Sure, you're going to build up some debt but you're probably going earn a lot more for the rest of your life to.

And if you don't know what you want to do just choose a fairly general course, such as Business. Can go into anything with that and the workload isn't to bad.

Uni's a great way to extend your youth, becasue once you start working thats all finished!

I'm at Uni and love it! Most fun i've ever had and reccommend it to anyone! Sure, you're going to build up some debt but you're probably going earn a lot more for the rest of your life to.

And if you don't know what you want to do just choose a fairly general course, such as Business. Can go into anything with that and the workload isn't to bad.

Uni's a great way to extend your youth, because once you start working thats all finished!

From my experience, that is not true at all!

Uni's a great way to extend your youth, becasue once you start working thats all finished!

This is just rubbish.

Your still at Uni so how do you know your youth ends when you start working? My experience is that I had a great time when I left school and started work because I had money to do so.

As for earning a lot more that is bullshit as well. That's just the crap your fed to try and keep you in education. Most grads end up with averagly paid jobs and lacking in ambition or real work experience to have the balls to get out of them. You maybe able to do a 200 page thesis about the down turn in the market place, but in real life people don't want to read about it, they want to see you get out there and turn it round by grafting.(a word most students don't understand.)

To be fair all the students posts sum up what Uni is. It's where dossers go that don't want to work. All the positives that have been posted about uni are the social life and ways to pick easy courses that don't start till the afternoon!

Have a wash, soap dodgers. Stop listening to the levellers and go pay for your own upkeep!

This is just rubbish.

Your still at Uni so how do you know your youth ends when you start working? My experience is that I had a great time when I left school and started work because I had money to do so.

As for earning a lot more that is bullshit as well. That's just the crap your fed to try and keep you in education. Most grads end up with averagly paid jobs and lacking in ambition or real work experience to have the balls to get out of them. You maybe able to do a 200 page thesis about the down turn in the market place, but in real life people don't want to read about it, they want to see you get out there and turn it round by grafting.(a word most students don't understand.)

To be fair all the students posts sum up what Uni is. It's where dossers go that don't want to work. All the positives that have been posted about uni are the social life and ways to pick easy courses that don't start till the afternoon!

Have a wash, soap dodgers. Stop listening to the levellers and go pay for your own upkeep!

Whilst I appreciate where you are coming from on one issue as I in fact have said the same I think you are guilty of what you are accusing Danwichman of.

I assume from the fact that you started work straight from school that you didn't go to Uni so how can you comment on it. The whole experience was great from a social angle, but I also learnt a heck of a lot.

I have to say as well that of all the people I was at Uni with, they are all working towards good careers and are earning significantly more than national average.

It's not like that for everyone I am sure but it was for me.

In addition, your last comment is completely untrue. We pay fees nowadays and take out loans which are all paid back to the state. So we are paying for our own upkeep.

I think you should only comment on what you have first hand experience of.

So if I was to do the accountancy route straight from school, I'd be looking at around 5 years to be ACA qualified?

Whereas, if I did Uni first, I'd be looking at around 6 years?

Cheers for all the advice.

So if I was to do the accountancy route straight from school, I'd be looking at around 5 years to be ACA qualified?

Assuming you pass the exams on schedule that is about right. The only issues with it are the size and location of the firm you wish to work for. I know the one I currently work for do not take school leavers anymore.

im only gonna say this once.

DO NOT GO TO STAFFORD

I did. Am I missing something?? :?

Since when did Stafford have a University? What next, the University of Uttoxeter? It was bad enough when Keele was called a University (highest suicide rate apparently) but Stafford - jeez and education hasnt been dumbed down, nah not a hope its all about accesibility - bollox its about dropping standards

[/ranty ranty ranty] :evil:

Assuming you pass the exams on schedule that is about right. The only issues with it are the size and location of the firm you wish to work for. I know the one I currently work for do not take school leavers anymore.

Yeah i think its hit and miss in Brum, some do some don't take people on. Think they all prefer graduates but hey.

"To be fair all the students posts sum up what Uni is. It's where dossers go that don't want to work. All the positives that have been posted about uni are the social life and ways to pick easy courses that don't start till the afternoon! "

ok, being serious for a moment as much as I do the dossing around too, I think I would have failed miserably if id gone into the workplace straight after school. The social aspect is just as critical for someone being able to go on and do a decent job than if they hadn't. Without Uni and as a result the confidence and people ive met id be doing bar work til im dead.

That said I think there's still a strong case for streamlining courses a bit, making them 2 instead of 3 years etc and filling the week a bit more productively.

Â