Mass Effect: Andromeda

hogso

It looks fine. Storm in a teacup imo but no, gamers are up in arms yet again. Just more evidence of the entitled whiny society gaming culture has become. 

Edited by Ingram85

Wasn't so much describing people posting here - I disagree with 'awful' and 'atrocious' though - but more the community as a whole. Ign/EG/Reddit/Twitter/YT commenters et al with tthe usual complete over reaction. 

Edited by Ingram85

I'm fairly confident it'll still be an above average game, I just think that last video was really quite bad. I don't just mean the voice acting, animation or that fairly dull bit of gameplay they showed; I mean just the way it was presented.

Mass Effect, for me, has always been mainly about the story and set pieces and that video showed none of that really. I know at this stage they're not giving much away, but compare it to the sort of trailers Rockstar and Naughty Dog come out with and they're not in the same league. Trailers are meant to get players pumped up. So far everything I've seen from Andromeda has been tepid, dull and poorly presented. This is the return of Mass Effect for crying out loud! Gamers should feel like they've been on a rollercoaster after watching new footage of a game in such a revered series.

Edited by Ginko

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Giant Bomb have an 'Unfinished' look at this.

It looks fantastic. If familiar - it basically looks like they changed the names of things and say it's new... The gameplay doesn't seem to have changed much in the clips shown. But they also say it feels like or has similarities to Dragon Age Inquisition... 

I liked DA:I but I don't want a Mass Effect version of it. Tbh I don't want another Dragon Age like it.

Destined to disappoint.

I've read a preview today too. Really encouraged by it. Conversely to what Giant Bomb observed, it suggests that, although the game does look great at times, some of the character models (specifically humans) look shite. The female Ryder inparticular looks just plain odd. They also refer to lack of new aliens, but in the interview that accompanies the preview, it's suggested that's purely because it's early sections of the game and the new stuff doesn't appear until later on. They also confirm they don't know if it'll be a trilogy or not yet, which storywise, is a bit odd.

Very positive about combat and the use of the Nomad (the new Mako). It's also a complete mystery why there has been so little shown of the game before release, they suggest it may have been due to the graphics in certain parts of the game, but no one really knows, and Bioware aren't telling.

It's eased my fears somewhat. I'll get it on release regardless of reviews tbf.

On 23/02/2017 at 19:15, Chindie said:

Giant Bomb have an 'Unfinished' look at this.

It looks fantastic. If familiar - it basically looks like they changed the names of things and say it's new... The gameplay doesn't seem to have changed much in the clips shown. But they also say it feels like or has similarities to Dragon Age Inquisition... 

I liked DA:I but I don't want a Mass Effect version of it. Tbh I don't want another Dragon Age like it.

Destined to disappoint.

If mass effect 4 is like DA:I to much it would pretty much break the franchise . I enjoyed Inquisition but it couldve been far better and alot of people hated it. It had one of the biggest refunds ever I believe . far to many terrible fetch quests . Also mass effect 3 had alot of hatred towards it so mass effect 4 needs to be good . But I am excited for mass effect 4

Andromeda is it's own thing yeah.

The only ties to the original trilogy is that the main characters left during Mass Effect 2 and that's it.

Saves don't transfer to Andromeda so they aren't continuing the trilogy story arc.

I have heard they ask what gender your Shepard was, but likely only to talk about them as a myth or legend, not in absolutes.

This is a self-contained standalone game that may not even be getting a sequel, so this is a sequel that is more like a spin-off more than anything. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like this is going to run like an absolute dog, on PC at least. It'll be interesting to see if they've just not optimised it compared to the console version.

According to Bioware, the recommended specs (GTX 1060, i7 4790) will get you 30 fps on high, which probably means usually 30, with some dips. That's pathetic. For comparison, Battlefield and Battlefront with the same specs and the same engine is constantly 60fps even with a lot going on. Obviously it's Dice's engine so Bioware are going to struggle to get as much out of it, but that performance for those specs is a joke.

Edited by Davkaus

Rock Paper Shotgun have released impressions of the first few hours of this.

They mauled it.

Eurogamer have been more positive.

I believe they're releasing a demo of sorts Thursday (possibly only on EA Access?) so we should hear more... But I've got even greater concerns this is going to be a crushing disappointment than before, and I wasn't exactly positive before.

John Walker (The guy who wrote the RPS piece) is usually pretty spot on, for me, there haven't been many times I've read his article on a game I've played and disagreed with him.

Having said that, a lot of his complaints would hold water against Dragon age: Inquisition, which he's never played (and which I thought was a piece of shit, I'll probably skip this one..),  so if you enjoyed that, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Â